New Manager thread.

What an uninspiring list of candidates. The guy who nearly got Cheltenham relegated. The guy no one has heard of and the guy who so far has been average at best

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's strange that out of the highest calbire of applicants we've ever had 2 of the short list haven't even managed in England before and the other has some league 2 play off experience.

I know the budget excuse gets used a lot to explain why we don't get anything better but out of all the out of work managers is there no credible candidate with league 1 or 2 promotion on their CV who fancies it? Looking at the situation positively, League 1 doesn't have many big hitters next year, we have a new stand and the majority of our best players are on long term contracts. If someone like Rosler for example would see it as a step down or that we didn't have the budget, could he not be persuaded that we have a real shot of top 6 next year and taking a team our size into the play offs would be a big plus on any CV.

I'd be interested to know if we've approached any managers of good calibre and tried to sell the club, vision, long term plan, latest hashtag, whatever. Like we would if we're trying to attract players who might normally be looking above us. Or whether we've just decided to work with the applications we received.

More about Ashworth, whose brother is head of youth development at the FA

Has previously applied unsuccessfully for his brother's job, Kilmarnock and Barnet

Openly admitted he hasn't got many contacts in the game...

Worked with Gary Johnson and coached at some football league teams in the past

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11096/9081161/brits-abroad-paul-ashworth

One of the main criteria other than the actual ability to manage is contacts - pulling favours from mates at other clubs, inside info on players personalties and such. This may be a big problem.

Totally uninspired. i was seiously thinking of getting a ST for the new stand even though i miss half the games. Can't be arsed anymore. Dowie, Rosler, even Boagrde and that Italian psyhco would have caught my attention. Holden - seriously! some unknown who's been in Africa - really! someone who took his club to the brink of division five - come on!!!!

Sack of :censored:!

Who the hell were we kidding thinking that Corney would be appointing a Scholes, Rosler, Adkins, Warburton or Dowie calibre manager.

Lack of ambition as always with OAFC!!!

Best squad the club has had in years most on long term contracts / New stand nearly completed bring in more revenue / possibly highest league position and points total for nearly 5 years. / The highest calibre of applicants since Corney has been at the club and we are led to believe that this is the final 3 applicants. :censored:ing shocking!!!

I hope I am proven wrong

I have said it before but with the new stand opening for next season, we have to show some ambition with this appointment. This doesn't mean we need to break the bank, but it does need to be someone who will encourage fans to part with money to buy a ticket in the new stand. We have heard for as long as I can remember that ground development will be a catalyst for attracting back the stay-aways. Those running the club are intelligent enough to know that the new stand alone will not do it. Only the new stand coupled with genuine optimism will lead to people deciding to give Latics another go.

Unfortunately the 3 names being linked seem highly unlikley to instill the sort of confidence required (even though any of them could potentially go on to be successful).

This is a one off closed season. It will be many years before we are again trying to sell tickets in a new stand. If we blow it now, it will be difficult to recover the situation the following year or the year after.

My gut feeling is still that there is a bigger name lined up but if that is teh case, there is going to ahve to be some indication to that end before season tickets go on sale.

I have said it before but with the new stand opening for next season, we have to show some ambition with this appointment. This doesn't mean we need to break the bank, but it does need to be someone who will encourage fans to part with money to buy a ticket in the new stand. We have heard for as long as I can remember that ground development will be a catalyst for attracting back the stay-aways. Those running the club are intelligent enough to know that the new stand alone will not do it. Only the new stand coupled with genuine optimism will lead to people deciding to give Latics another go.

Unfortunately the 3 names being linked seem highly unlikley to instill the sort of confidence required (even though any of them could potentially go on to be successful).

This is a one off closed season. It will be many years before we are again trying to sell tickets in a new stand. If we blow it now, it will be difficult to recover the situation the following year or the year after.

My gut feeling is still that there is a bigger name lined up but if that is teh case, there is going to ahve to be some indication to that end before season tickets go on sale.

Come on Corney for goodness sake get this one right and make it a good one who is not within those 3 listed. I agreed with the appointments of Dickov and then Little Judas as going back to basics but the time is right to build on the foundations of the squad not just those of the new stand/supermarket!

Hoping and praying that this is a smokescreen for another manager coming in.

We were never going to get Warburton, Dowie or Adkins. Rosler was about the top end of what we were going to be able to get, this 3 appear to be at the bottom. Of the 3 I don't want Holden to get it, his time may come as a manager but it isn't now our form under him the last 2 months spread across the whole season will see us relegated 1 point per game. Basically it is saying that next seasons budget will be one which will give us enough to survive in the division but only a miracle worker will get us up. Plus with Johnson waiting in the wings armed with a bigger budget over the hill ready to pounce our better players maybe less likely to stay.

With the new stand being hopfully completed for the start of the season. Having our strongest squad in years and with our 'better ' players on longer term contracts I am very suprised at the three names the Chron has put forward.

We hear all the time time from the board and new signings about the ambitions of the club ad we are looking forward. When was the last time we actively went looking for a new manager? when did we approach someone?

they dont have to be in a job, there are plenty of good names out there not working with experience and promotions on their CV so why not set out our stall, show some balls and go and get someone.

we always seem to wait for applications and due to the fact we interviewed LJ more than twice that now seems to be the the running order. Ive worked with some right dickheads over the years who obviously interviewd well but couldnt do the job,

I would be disappointed not to get someone with a more impressive track record. But saying that, I'm not against Yates, would definitely prefer him to the other 2, as much as I like Holden.

Paul Cook had a pretty average record at Accrington before joining Chesterfield so probably didn't inspire many of their fans when they appointed him.

Edited by nzlatic

they dont have to be in a job, there are plenty of good names out there not working with experience and promotions on their CV so why not set out our stall, show some balls and go and get someone.

Although, of course, it's not just about our ambition but whether we can match theirs. Corney won't be giving the club millions, which means little for transfer fees, and player wages not exceeding 60% of turnover. An unproven manager might be happy to accept that challenge. A strong candidate may prefer to wait for a club with greater means.

Edited by Crusoe