New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Scholes went into the main entrance about 10 minutes ago. Saw him when I was queuing up to reserve new season ticket!

He can't be reserving a season ticket in the new stand, because he's never been reported to have been seen in the old Lookers, so he'll have to wait until Wednesday to do that.

If dowie is the man for the job we won't be worried about their fitness after 60 minutes. That was the strongest team I saw at latics.

John Harbin was the main man behind that. I don't know what he's upto these days but they were a brilliant team. I think he returned to Australia to work in rugby league last I heard.

John Harbin was the main man behind that. I don't know what he's upto these days but they were a brilliant team. I think he returned to Australia to work in rugby league last I heard.

He's with shez at Plymouth isn't he?

He's Shez's Performance Manager at Plymouth and has managed to get Reuben Reid to perform.

He's with shez at Plymouth isn't he?

He's Shez's Performance Manager at Plymouth and has managed to get Reuben Reid to perform.

Well I never. Maybe there's a possibility they could get the old band back together then...

"I'll see you at Oldham Baths at 5am sharp young Carl. Bring your boxing gloves."

The only manager they can announce on sat would be Holden ,

How could they announce anybody else with Holden stood on the sidelines.

If so i would dread it , how can anybody in the last away game of the season and not much to play for ,send a defensive side out that can't muster one shot on target in 90 min .

Pass me the gun !!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget the game is on Sunday 12:15.

But will the new Leisure centre be opened before the Latics new stand Diego?

Well I never. Maybe there's a possibility they could get the old band back together then...

"I'll see you at Oldham Baths at 5am sharp young Carl. Bring your boxing gloves."

But will the new Leisure centre be opened before the Latics new stand Diego?

Just for the record I am under whelmed by the prospect of Dowie coming back, is anybody else? Why do we assume things would just revert back to the way they were?

Move on to a brand new manager and a new era.

Whilst I don't dispute that Dowie arriving would generate welcome positivity amongst many of the fans, I would be concerned about his time away from coaching and I'm far from convinced (despite the rumours which have been alluded to in today's Chron) that he would want the role with the current budget.

As you say, circumstances & the games is different now but I worry when the biggest argument for his appointment seems to be based more emotionally on what he did here over a decade ago.

Whilst I don't dispute that Dowie arriving would generate welcome positivity amongst many of the fans, I would be concerned about his time away from coaching and I'm far from convinced (despite the rumours which have been alluded to in today's Chron) that he would want the role with the current budget.

As you say, circumstances & the games is different now but I worry when the biggest argument for his appointment seems to be based more emotionally on what he did here over a decade ago.

Nicely put. On paper, he's got a lot of flaws (as do the vast majority of our likely targets), and the swell of support for him is based primarily on nostalgia.

What are the flaws regarding him managing in the 3rd division?

He's been out of management for 5 years; from what I know (happy to be shown otherwise) he's not exactly been a devout follower of Latics/League One, so he won't know the division as well as others - he spends his Saturdays commentating on Premier League/Championship football; he's a big spender - the only way to get him a transfer chest and abide by FFP would be to sell Kelly, Winchester, Forte, Wilson et al.

He might be a success, as might any other manager on the short list. But there's nothing to suggest that he's a guarantee, or even more likely than the next bloke to be one - other than the fact he did well here a decade ago.

Think some people are looking for the feel good factor manager.

We have been in this boring div for nearly 20 years , crowds are dwindling yearly and not a great deal to look forward too.

Any of the short list of 3 (as would a lot of others) ultimately see a drop in S/T holders.

Someone like Dowie would probably give the club a short term boost regards S/T etc,

Whether he is the right man gods knows , who is !!!!

Think we have to take somebody with league one knowledge and who can work on a low budget -

Step up who ever you are ?

He's been out of management for 5 years; from what I know (happy to be shown otherwise) he's not exactly been a devout follower of Latics/League One, so he won't know the division as well as many others

Surely we can assess that from his dossier?

My head is spinning. What do people really want/expect?

You need to be a devout follower of Oldham - that narrows the field down.

You ned to know all about division three - why? Is this division 'special?' Do you need an engineering masters to understand it's mechanics?

You can't have a gap in your managerial career - so that rules out new managers with no experience.

Who does that leave us with? Rosler? he did bring a note pad with him the other week.

How well does he currently know the third division? Us, the other teams, the players that are likely to work well in it that are within our budget? Those are the type of things that spring to mind.

That is what agents and scouts are for.

We need a manager, someone with some clout who our talented but weak minded squad will look at and think, yeah I fancy working with this bloke.

The 5 years out is far less of an issue for me than it would be for someone who'd literally been doing nothing football related for that time - Dowie's done nothing but watch football and has probably extended & improved his contacts list during that time. He'll now have in's with people he probably wouldn't have had in's with had he been managing rival clubs of theirs for those five years.

I look at it that we wouldn't be able to attract a manager of his calibre without him having been here previously.

He doesn't guarantee success but surely it's more likely with him than any of the other names we've been linked with?

What he does guarantee is an increase in season ticket sales, a feel good factor (for a few months at least) and some half decent signings - imagine if he can find another Fitz Hall or two?

I also think he'll get the cost of an extra player or two out of Corney compared to what other candidates would.