New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been told it's all tied up with Dowie... Deal almost agreed, should be this week.

About to discover the credibility of this source in the next few days it seems...!!

What are people's thoughts if it's true... Would it boost the attendance for Peterborough (if he's unveiled or at the game), or increase the mood over the summer...?

Edited by IceStationLatic

Had Dowie not previously managed Latics everybody would be critical or cautious at his appointment. This Oldham isn't the same one that he managed before, as well.

I'm sure it will create a good buzz if you're right, but it's no more guaranteed to work than any other manager in my opinion.

Been told it's all tied up with Dowie... Deal almost agreed.

While I have no evidence to question your source, surely it's either all tied up or almost agreed, not both?!

Seriously though, I have a few doubts about Dowie but in comparison to Holden, Yates and Ashworth I'd be happy with him being appointed. It would give me optimism going into next season that I feel is severely lacking at the moment.

True, but results wise we had our best season in the last 24 years under Dowie, we finished in our highest position for the last 18 years under him. Footballing wise the season under Shez was better but the togetherness we had under Dowie in 2002-03 was fantastic. Everyone pulled in the same direction. Times have changed and the way he left, did leave a sour taste especially after also applying for the Northampton and Stockport jobs amongst others but there is unfinished business. He knows it's his last chance to prove himself as a capable manager. I bumped into Iain Dowie in Costco during Philliskirk's last caretakership in February 2013, he fancied the job but he wanted a longer deal than we were willing to commit to. Understandably the club wanted to see which division we would start 2013-14 in before committing to a longer contract. He did say 'never say never' and came across really well.

I'd have him back, certainly over the publicised alternatives anyway....

Edited by oafcprozac

I think we have been missing a manager who can do what the title implies, manage !

All this uefa licence, pro licence whatever bollocks is all well and good,but does an inexperienced candidate actually command the repect and willingness to work of the players.

A Dowie kind of example i feel, would command more respect than a Judas mk2. As a player Dowie played at the highest level, had a decent record as a manager and has the seniority to command respect from his charges.

As a man, he is the kind of manager i believe we need at this time.

I've always rated Dowie as a top lower league manager. He can motivate, has a plan and knows how he wants to play.

A very well organised team that knows their job will always have more success in league 1 than a team who concentrates on winning the passing.

His methods don't seem to translate as well higher up the league you go, that happens sometimes look at Big Joe . In league 1 we could have the ideal man.

I'd take him all day long above the others in the frame.

I'd like Dowie to return. Really liked him first time.

He left after King Bastard drove us to the point of extinction. Even then, he galvanised what was left of the club for half a season. Can't blame him for applying for jobs when it looked like he'd have no future employment at Oldham Looking back, it was a brilliant bit of management and was instrumental in us staying up that season.

He's intelligent and passionate. Yes, absolutely. I'd love him back.

He performed miracles at the start of 2003/04 went wrong after a bust up at Wrexham, after that we really struggled in his last two months but he set the foundations for surviving easily. Some of his signings like Ernie, Hudson and JJ were just what we needed. Having said that he also brought in Kangana.....

He performed miracles at the start of 2003/04 went wrong after a bust up at Wrexham, after that we really struggled in his last two months but he set the foundations for surviving easily. Some of his signings like Ernie, Hudson and JJ were just what we needed. Having said that he also brought in Kangana.....

To be fair, many of us weren't far off a starting spot when he needed to bring in Kangana

Been told it's all tied up with Dowie... Deal almost agreed, should be this week.

About to discover the credibility of this source in the next few days it seems...!!

What are people's thoughts if it's true... Would it boost the attendance for Peterborough (if he's unveiled or at the game), or increase the mood over the summer...?

How can it be "all tied up" when deal is only "almost agreed" - do you mean "deal almost all tied up / agreed"?