New Manager thread.

How well does he currently know the third division? Us, the other teams, the players that are likely to work well in it that are within our budget? Those are the type of things that spring to mind.

I heard or read the phrase "knows this league inside out" recently and thought to myself that maybe we should get somebody who doesn't.

Is knowing this league inside out necessarily a good thing?

If a player knows this league inside out it usually means he's never been good enough to get out of it - should we really be trying to sign such players?

It seems a recipe for a mid table finish.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what agents and scouts are for.

We need a manager, someone with some clout who our talented but weak minded squad will look at and think, yeah I fancy working with this bloke.

Sounds great but it's only our decade long emotional attachment that makes us think that Dowie can do that for us. It only seems to be us that hankers after him along with eye moistening references to Tandle Hills everytime the job becomes vacant. Why is that?

Paul Scholes went into the main entrance about 10 minutes ago. Saw him when I was queuing up to reserve new season ticket!

He coaches the juniors from time-to-time, he was probably just there for that.

I asked him personally when I bumped into him on a night out, and he reiterated that it wasn't the right time for him to manage Latics. Hope he was lying though!

Sounds great but it's only our decade long emotional attachment that makes us think that Dowie can do that for us. It only seems to be us that hankers after him along with eye moistening references to Tandle Hills everytime the job becomes vacant. Why is that?

Of course it is all ifs and buts - my own view would be that is there is no reason to think he wouldn't be able to pick up where he left off, for many of the reasons outlined by H. Bosch

The 5 years out is far less of an issue for me than it would be for someone who'd literally been doing nothing football related for that time - Dowie's done nothing but watch football and has probably extended & improved his contacts list during that time. He'll now have in's with people he probably wouldn't have had in's with had he been managing rival clubs of theirs for those five years.

I look at it that we wouldn't be able to attract a manager of his calibre without him having been here previously.

He doesn't guarantee success but surely it's more likely with him than any of the other names we've been linked with?

What he does guarantee is an increase in season ticket sales, a feel good factor (for a few months at least) and some half decent signings - imagine if he can find another Fitz Hall or two?

I also think he'll get the cost of an extra player or two out of Corney compared to what other candidates would.

A feel good factor for a bit and an increase in season ticket sales is probably enough for Corney to justify a Dowie chase and I'll be getting behind whoever it is anyway but I just don't seem to be able to generate the sense of blind faith in Dowie that others seem to.

As I've put above/ previously, ever since I saw a group of Latics fans on TV in the 1990s answer the question of who they would sign if the club had a huge cash injection, confer & come back with the answer 'Ruel Fox', I've worried about occasions when we've gone with popular opinion. :)

The way I see it is this......we have a new stand which hopefully will create a few extra ST holders, and perhaps also a few lapsed ex Lookers will return to their spiritual home.

I haven't had a ST for nearly 15 years because of shift work but my son and I are seriously considering one for next season even though my work hours remain unchanged.

The thing that will sway my decision is the choice of manager. I have nothing against Dean Holden who took on the job at a very difficult time but in trying to do what's best for himself while at the same time helping steer the club away from the relegation places has probably cost him the job long term.

I dont think his defensive style has endeared him to the fanbase and certainly not to me. If he gets the job I will not buy a ST IT's as simple as that.

We are not going to get a proven manager with our budget and therefore

Ian Dowie in my mind would be the best available candidate and would almost certainly help increase ticket sales. He may have been out of football for some time but he is a motivator and according to Corney is the best man manager he has ever worked with. For as long as I care to remember this team has only performed when it had to and too many players have simply given up. I can't remember us putting two halves of decent football together for a very long time.

One thing is guaranteed with Dowie, the players will always give 110% and will run through brick walls each and every week. He may not be everyone's choice but if he becomes the manager sometime soon I will be straight down to the club with my cash!

In many respects we will, as always, be on a wing and a prayer whoever comes in. Yates, Ashworth, Holden, Dowie to name 4.

Our last few managers have come in under the radar but of the 4 above only Dowie would increase Season Ticket sales and increase optimism in the town. That will increase the playing budget immediately.

The way I see it is this......we have a new stand which hopefully will create a few extra ST holders, and perhaps also a few lapsed ex Lookers will return to their spiritual home.

I haven't had a ST for nearly 15 years because of shift work but my son and I are seriously considering one for next season even though my work hours remain unchanged.

The thing that will sway my decision is the choice of manager. I have nothing against Dean Holden who took on the job at a very difficult time but in trying to do what's best for himself while at the same time helping steer the club away from the relegation places has probably cost him the job long term.

I dont think his defensive style has endeared him to the fanbase and certainly not to me. If he gets the job I will not buy a ST IT's as simple as that.

We are not going to get a proven manager with our budget and therefore

Ian Dowie in my mind would be the best available candidate and would almost certainly help increase ticket sales. He may have been out of football for some time but he is a motivator and according to Corney is the best man manager he has ever worked with. For as long as I care to remember this team has only performed when it had to and too many players have simply given up. I can't remember us putting two halves of decent football together for a very long time.

One thing is guaranteed with Dowie, the players will always give 110% and will run through brick walls each and every week. He may not be everyone's choice but if he becomes the manager sometime soon I will be straight down to the club with my cash!

I'm exactly the same. Not had a season ticket for some years now, but I am in the market for buying 3 for the family this coming season.

That will not happen should Holden get the job. Not becuase its Holden, but because the message it sends appointing him is a poor one. A poor appointment totally undermines any positive vibe the new stand would generate. A feel-good appointment amplifies it.

My head is spinning. What do people really want/expect?

You need to be a devout follower of Oldham - that narrows the field down.

You ned to know all about division three - why? Is this division 'special?' Do you need an engineering masters to understand it's mechanics?

You can't have a gap in your managerial career - so that rules out new managers with no experience.

Who does that leave us with? Rosler? he did bring a note pad with him the other week.

I'd prefer Rosler over Dowie but would prefer Dowie over Holden, Yates or Ashworth.

My concern would be that people would put too much faith in Dowie that he is the messiah to save the club he isn't.

He has never stayed anywhere for a long time look at his track record in management since he left Palace its really poor for anyones standards, had he not managed us for 2002-03, Where of course we won promotion and didn't finish 5th below Crewe who had a much smaller budget than us.

If the only alternatives are the holy trinity that has been muted then he should at least get the gig, although I do not for one minute think he will pick up from where he left off and a magic wand will be waved and everything will be perfect again.

I can see him doing exactly what Royle did on his return remember how that worked out? he had a look at it and said no thank you, I could see him walking away within a year.

I don't expect a name manager just someone who can coach the players we have got and can get value for money in the transfer market,

If Dowie is the best we can get i'll accept it and support it I'll support him but regardless I don't think we are going to get anything else next year other than a cup run or a top ten finish at best unless we see a major change in the boardroom..

I'd prefer Rosler over Dowie but would prefer Dowie over Holden, Yates or Ashworth.

My concern would be that people would put too much faith in Dowie that he is the messiah to save the club he isn't.

He has never stayed anywhere for a long time look at his track record in management since he left Palace its really poor for anyones standards, had he not managed us for 2002-03, Where of course we won promotion and didn't finish 5th below Crewe who had a much smaller budget than us.

If the only alternatives are the holy trinity that has been muted then he should at least get the gig, although I do not for one minute think he will pick up from where he left off and a magic wand will be waved and everything will be perfect again.

I can see him doing exactly what Royle did on his return remember how that worked out? he had a look at it and said no thank you, I could see him walking away within a year.

I don't expect a name manager just someone who can coach the players we have got and can get value for money in the transfer market,

If Dowie is the best we can get i'll accept it and support it I'll support him but regardless I don't think we are going to get anything else next year other than a cup run or a top ten finish at best unless we see a major change in the boardroom..

Exactly this for me.

Dowie has got a promotion from the Championship on his CV. He knows the club and the owners and his would probably be the only realistic 'feel good' appointment to help sell season tickets.

He isn't the saviour, he'd be a gamble. But so would anyone else we could appoint, realistic or otherwise. If he's an actual possibility then there are enough pros there compared to the shortlisted 3 to make him the stand out choice in my opinion.

Been trying to do a bit of digging on the Dowie rumour and Just had a text back off my contact at the club (I think a few on here know who it is and I've been right 'most of the time')

The message was 'Don't believe everything you hear' followed by a wink.........unusually playful to say the least so I don't really know what to make of it!

Been trying to do a bit of digging on the Dowie rumour and Just had a text back off my contact at the club (I think a few on here know who it is and I've been right 'most of the time')

The message was 'Don't believe everything you hear' followed by a wink.........unusually playful to say the least so I don't really know what to make of it!

I'd say that's a no (unless you've incorrectly spelt wink).

Dowie has got a promotion from the Championship on his CV. He knows the club and the owners and his would probably be the only realistic 'feel good' appointment to help sell season tickets.

He isn't the saviour, he'd be a gamble. But so would anyone else we could appoint, realistic or otherwise. If he's an actual possibility then there are enough pros there compared to the shortlisted 3 to make him the stand out choice in my opinion.

Cannot disagree with any of that.

To be fair, I think that is a nod to the other candidates.

My absolute hunch though, is it is someone else. Not ont he short list and not Dowie.

He's leading you off that, so that leaves the Yates etc, but the wink is a nod to not beleiveing them either.

None of the above would be my guess, but a bit of hope we have heard of them!

Source telling me it's all agreed from Dowie's end with the directors. It's just waiting on Corney's signature when he's back here in midweek. And he thinks Blitz might even be at the game on Sat...!

I know SimonCorneyisGod's source, can you hint without giving it away yours?

Source telling me it's all agreed from Dowie's end with the directors. It's just waiting on Corney's signature when he's back here in midweek. And he thinks Blitz might even be at the game on Sat...!

I'd be quite happy about this.

Clearly Blitz is involved with OEC.

He could have called in his money a long time ago, during a very bad recession, but didn't.

Blitz always struck me as the biggest football fan of the three anyway.

Others on this thread have said about changes in the Boardroom, but I feel we are at least on an upward trajectory off the field again.

Blitz back in the Boardroom would be a positve change. That might not be what is happening, and the devil is i the detail.

But, better the devil you know.