New Manager thread.

I did. Then look at my next post...

I just over-interpreted what he'd told me - was written as more concrete than it actually was. Same source that told me he'd got the job for the rest of the season.......first.

Different source re Dowie...

There are a few things muddying the waters - some associates convinced Holden's the favourite, other rumours suggesting that he's leaving.

Either way, we should find out next week!

Edited by IceStationLatic

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting video of dean Holden today sounds like he has already been told he hasn't got it and sounds like he won't be staying. Don't know whether it's just me anyone else think it?

I haven't seen it, but he always sounds like that!

I still maintain that all the talk of Yates/Ashworth/Holden is all a smokescreen - why 'reveal' names to the local paper when deliberations supposedly still ongoing?

With the greatest respect to these three candidates, the board must appreciate that appointing any of them would lead to a likely loss in season ticket sales, whereby the average fan who has an interest but not able to attend all matches would read that and immediately conclude 'cheap option' or 'same old same old, no ambition' - SC's request in the paper recently for fans to get behind the team certainly wouldn't be aided by the above.

Call that a cynical viewpoint and perhaps it is - who know's, any one of the above could do well, there is no guarantee with anyone as Manager as to what will happen.

However, with the stand going to completion and requirements to drum up interest from all parties in aid of the new facilities, this will only be aided by what is going on on the pitch, that's the cold fact of it when all said and done.

The club therefore do need, maybe not necessarily 'a name' but someone who on the face of it would entice people or perk their interest again. If we as fans can see this then as business people the board will to.

I can foresee a PA announcement prior to the P'boro kick-off, followed by Dowie or Rosler walking down the steps onto the pitch as the new man - perks everyone up from the reportedly 'underwhelming' names into positive mode and a greater urge to then buy a season ticket.

Very clever marketing if you ask me.

I still maintain that all the talk of Yates/Ashworth/Holden is all a smokescreen - why 'reveal' names to the local paper when deliberations supposedly still ongoing?

With the greatest respect to these three candidates, the board must appreciate that appointing any of them would lead to a likely loss in season ticket sales, whereby the average fan who has an interest but not able to attend all matches would read that and immediately conclude 'cheap option' or 'same old same old, no ambition' - SC's request in the paper recently for fans to get behind the team certainly wouldn't be aided by the above.

Call that a cynical viewpoint and perhaps it is - who know's, any one of the above could do well, there is no guarantee with anyone as Manager as to what will happen.

However, with the stand going to completion and requirements to drum up interest from all parties in aid of the new facilities, this will only be aided by what is going on on the pitch, that's the cold fact of it when all said and done.

The club therefore do need, maybe not necessarily 'a name' but someone who on the face of it would entice people or perk their interest again. If we as fans can see this then as business people the board will to.

I can foresee a PA announcement prior to the P'boro kick-off, followed by Dowie or Rosler walking down the steps onto the pitch as the new man - perks everyone up from the reportedly 'underwhelming' names into positive mode and a greater urge to then buy a season ticket.

I like to think the last eight years have been a smokescreen for the big managerial announcement.

Interesting video of dean Holden today sounds like he has already been told he hasn't got it and sounds like he won't be staying. Don't know whether it's just me anyone else think it?

Yes, I thought that too. He seemed fairly downhearted and a bit tetchy in some of his responses to questions.

Well, yes it is if it pans out that way. I hope it does and can see reasoning behind your post, but it's only clever marketing if it happens which I sure as hell hope it does... it's what this place needs!!

While your thoughts are very similar to mine I am not sure Corney would divulge 3 names (if indeed he did) as red herring's - unless of course something has happened since.

While your thoughts are very similar to mine I am not sure Corney would divulge 3 names (if indeed he did) as red herring's - unless of course something has happened since.

True, but from memory the Chronicle article never directly quotes anyone when it mentions those supposed three names, which to me says they are either plucking them out of thin air or were given them by the club, in the knowledge that whilst they may have applied, were/aren't real contenders

May well be wrong of course, only speculating

Anyway, we'll soon find out, i'm tired of thinking about all the if's, but's, maybe's, lets have an answer

Edited by shefflatic

If it is Holden as seems likely I will support the team 100% but I will view it as a chance missed.

With the new stand up and ready for the new season an appointment such as Dowie could have helped swell season ticket sales.

With all due respect to Holden he's not going to put bums on seats and if he starts badly the knives will be out quicker than ever before.

I have no inside information but my gut feel is that something will happen in the summer and I don't mean just a change in manager.

Interesting if Dowie is being interviewed because the last time I spoke with him both parties were poles apart on a number of factors. My thoughts are if this has progressed then something's changed or changing on the OAFC offer as Dowie doesn't need to shift on his demands.

Wages was one thing but others were playing budget, coaching budget, infrastructure around training etc. Dowie is realistic but ambitious too and wants the best chance to secure promotion. He sees Oldham as a Championship club fighting above its weight until they're established in the Championship to increase fan base to then have that weight. This won't happen in one or two seasons but for the project to work promotion is needed within those first two seasons ideally the first. He sees that as achievable with the tight blend of retaining key players we have now and opportunity to bring in players he had already identified as realistic budget-wise but will strengthen the team immediately. He wants a full pre-season too so would want to join the club June to be ready for window to open and training regime.

I'll make a few calls next week...

I have no inside information but my gut feel is that something will happen in the summer and I don't mean just a change in manager.

Interesting if Dowie is being interviewed because the last time I spoke with him both parties were poles apart on a number of factors. My thoughts are if this has progressed then something's changed or changing on the OAFC offer as Dowie doesn't need to shift on his demands.

Wages was one thing but others were playing budget, coaching budget, infrastructure around training etc. Dowie is realistic but ambitious too and wants the best chance to secure promotion. He sees Oldham as a Championship club fighting above its weight until they're established in the Championship to increase fan base to then have that weight. This won't happen in one or two seasons but for the project to work promotion is needed within those first two seasons ideally the first. He sees that as achievable with the tight blend of retaining key players we have now and opportunity to bring in players he had already identified as realistic budget-wise but will strengthen the team immediately. He wants a full pre-season too so would want to join the club June to be ready for window to open and training regime.

I'll make a few calls next week...

So basically the sort of things that might have seen an ambitious manager pack it in and move elsewhere?

Smoke and Mirrors guys and girls... Smoke and Mirrors

What do you mean?

It won't be Dowie unless something happens with the board, budget etc.

Prepare to be underwhelmed is my approach after so many false dawns over the years

Interesting to see if anyone at the game today. Someone's told me a representative of Dowie will be at the match.

It looks like it's between Holden and Dowie. I think if Yates was liked enough then he'd already have it. Dowie perhaps hasn't been fancied but has muscled back into the picture.

Holden is clearly being backed by players (Danny P, Gerrard) and some staff - not always a good sign though...players loving it - despite an fairly uninspiring points tally, drab tactics, and awful set-piece defending that you'd like to think they'd be getting bollocked for. If that's not the way these days...whatever is being tried hasn't been working. I know he's not been in the job long, but look at how quickly Pulis, for example, can organise a shambles of a defensive back line..! My fear is of a similar, Dickov-type environment when ppl aren't angry and devastated when we lose. Instead they're all happy... I think you have to have that fire to get anywhere close to being play-off contenders.... If you're not hurt by losing or even drawing, then you'll keep doing it. I think there's something there, along with the just staying up is good for Oldham mentality, that points to our pants form against the bottom four. They've seen is as winnable foe and we haven't been able to summon the fight and determination to prove them wrong and out-battle them, never going to make the play-offs without that - and that's how it's proved. That's what's cost us this season.

Edited by IceStationLatic

disaster if we appoint holden i'm afraid...

I like the guy, good servent, but now is not the time to give him a go in charge permanently. I can only see a decline in attendances with things going like they are now.

Im not massivly keen on ashworth and yates but i think both will be better appointments. Why we can't get a bigger name is just a joke....we cant afford not to speculate to accumalate!