Players linked with us

Kelly didn't have a plan & he probably didn't even sign Cassidy. We don't 'need' to offload anybody as we need a bigger squad this year.

We really need to offload Brown. Not because of wages. He's a liability. He needs replacing with a left-back.

Young midfielder made his debut for FC United against Hereford on Saturday getting rave reviews called Kieran Glynn, attended Hopwood Hall and must of been on the radar for Oldham you'd think, might be worth a look BP?

Was going to join our Sunday league team due to his contract allowing it but after his last two appearances for Fc United their manager is giving him a pro contract. Was a class above in training and In the game. Was too good took the piss and banged in hat tricks

Was told that we are trying to offload Winchester

If ever a player in recent years polarised opinion, then it is Winchester.

He's not good enough at this level because of his lack of commitment and application. A new start in your form of a kick up the arse could be just what he needs.

Flynn, Banks, Green, Klok, Winchester.

Fane is a central midfielder isn't he? How many do you want?

Aside from Klok and Green, who are both holding midfielders, none are actually proper centre mids...

There's no Mike Jones replacement there, anyway.

Blokes had more kicks up the arse than any player I know yet he still doesn't get it, blowing out of his arse again pre season, not sure if he still smokes the tabs but you have to question the blokes desire to succeed in the game, great to watch at times but getting to the stage where enoughs enough.

Was told that we are trying to offload Winchester

Seems ludicrous we would sign him up for another year then try to get rid a month later, especially with NI connections

I like him but nobody can say he doesn't deserve it if he's offloaded

Aside from Klok and Green, who are both holding midfielders, none are actually proper centre mids...

There's no Mike Jones replacement there, anyway.

He's done well to score 56 goals as a holding midfielder.

Was Jones a proper CM? He'd previously played a few seasons as a winger and often played there for us...

He's done well to score 56 goals as a holding midfielder.

Was Jones a proper CM? He'd previously played a few seasons as a winger and often played there for us...

At his best Jones was box to box. I can't imagine a 33 y-o player will be able to fulfil that role. Jones had a reyt engine

Going off what people on here have said, Green is a holding player. Still not convinced we have enough true CMs even if Green can fill the position of up and down midfielder tho. I don't know whether it's injuries or just being out of favour but he's only had more than 30 season appearances twice in six years.

At his best Jones was box to box. I can't imagine a 33 y-o player will be able to fulfil that role. Jones had a reyt engine

Going off what people on here have said, Green is a holding player. Still not convinced we have enough true CMs even if Green can fill the position of up and down midfielder tho. I don't know whether it's injuries or just being out of favour but he's only had more than 30 season appearances twice in six years.

We could replace 2015/16 Jones with a well-rooted tree. He was garbage.

Jones formed a good CM partnership at the beginning with Kelly in a 442 formation with Forte on the left and (dare I say it) Winchester on the right. When Forte got injured was the tipping point when Johnson started pillocking around with the formation and going with a midfield diamond, shoving Jones out to the left instead of playing someone else in that left wing spot and maintaining that 442. And as NewBlue said, Sheridan brought in Palmer to form a CM partnership with Kelly.

I thought Jones and Kelly played better when we reverted to a diamond shape with Kelly playing as the holding, Jones and Winchester central with Philly at the top. We played our best football under LJ with this formation until teams started to expose us out wide.

Edited by Hubster35

Jones formed a good CM partnership at the beginning with Kelly in a 442 formation with Forte on the left and (dare I say it) Winchester on the right. When Forte got injured was the tipping point when Johnson started pillocking around with the formation and going with a midfield diamond, shoving Jones out to the left instead of playing someone else in that left wing spot and maintaining that 442. And as NewBlue said, Sheridan brought in Palmer to form a CM partnership with Kelly.

. Have to agree with all this. He was benched a few times last season also.

Was going to join our Sunday league team due to his contract allowing it but after his last two appearances for Fc United their manager is giving him a pro contract. Was a class above in training and In the game. Was too good took the piss and banged in hat tricks

He wasn't contracted to them, he played for their college feeder team (Hopwood Hall) he will now have been offered a semi pro deal, not pro though because don't think anyone at FC is on one of them

I remember Paul Green scoring lots of goals from midfield for Dave Penney's Doncaster side that climbed the leagues (yep, it happened). I'd guess that like a lot of attacking centre mids he's dropped deeper as he's got older and lost some of his mobility. I see him being a calming influence on the other midfielders, using the ball well rather than being in the oppositions face the whole time. Time will tell I guess.

Our best football under Johnson was when we used the midfield diamond, at times we were caught a bit narrow, but if the Forte injury forced it upon him it served us well.

I thought Jones and Kelly played better when we reverted to a diamond shape with Kelly playing as the holding, Jones and Winchester central with Philly at the top. We played our best football under LJ with this formation until teams started to expose us out wide.

We did, just that some people are of the belief that playing anything other than 4-4-2 is too complicated.

Back to the main point it's clear that we are currently lacking in attacking midfielders offering creativity and who creates chances and chips in with a few goals too. I'd hope this is currently at the top of the shopping list.