Bolton Wanderers (friendly)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't sign any of the trialists..looks to me like DK will have to dip into the loan market.

Green will have to learn he cant do everything, very talented, but can be a liability at times. With the players available I can only see a 4-5-1 formation, lack of goals will still be a problem.

New kit: 8/10. Good football kit, stands out.

New chicken balti pie: 9/10. Top notch! Cumin seeds on top, and also baked into the pastry, plenty of meat, good taste. Also newly available "bad boy" chili sauce to give it more of a kick. One of the best debut performances for Latics in a while.

New look of the stadium: 9/10. Feels like a proper football ground again. And isn't that a wonderful thing? All 4 stands different, our beloved Boundary Park has character in spades.

Football: 3/10. Pre-season pish, not too bothered though. There were a few signs of life, I'm confident it'll be alright on the night.

Darren Kelly outfit: 6/10. Not top drawer stuff just yet. Sleeveless jumper may need a rethink. But shows decent sartorial potential.

Well it was easy to see who the goalkeeper was. Then 4 plus Liam. I suppose Turner was our striker and Poleon did OK out left until he tried to cross. Everyone else was interchangeable. Forte looked sharp until he was clattered. Murphy was as Murphy did last season but is clearly in better shape. George is a class above going forward but should stay in the opposition half. With so many 'strikers' I wonder why Ploj is still here but if we signed him I suspect he would be our top scorer. I'm not downhearted just a little confused by Mr Tank Top who seems to be making things rather complicated.

Well it was easy to see who the goalkeeper was. Then 4 plus Liam. I suppose Turner was our striker and Poleon did OK out left until he tried to cross. Everyone else was interchangeable. Forte looked sharp until he was clattered. Murphy was as Murphy did last season but is clearly in better shape. George is a class above going forward but should stay in the opposition half. With so many 'strikers' I wonder why Ploj is still here but if we signed him I suspect he would be our top scorer. I'm not downhearted just a little confused by Mr Tank Top who seems to be making things rather complicated.

Ploj may well be there as a other striker is on the way out? We just don't know....

I'm surprised Truelove's cameo hasn't been mentioned. He looked lively and like he could pressure Mills a bit. He had a good game at Chester too.

True. Also worth mentioning Mike Jones, looked like he couldn't wait to get his first taste of action. Showed up very well. He needs to start on Saturday now, get his fitness up.

I'm surprised Truelove's cameo hasn't been mentioned. He looked lively and like he could pressure Mills a bit. He had a good game at Chester too.

Agree. From what I recall he was the only player to deliver a cross of any value and only played the last 10mins or so. Cassidy in the middle should be happy with that service with his height!

Edmundson looks a good talent thought Green looked a lot better in the middle than out on the wing, however his ping early on from the right wing to Polean over on the left was pin point. The formation got switched around a bit in the second half, which seemed to make a difference for the better. the team as a whole though seem a bit confused Green tried to play a few quick one twos but the others were not on the same wave length. the long ball game seemed to get the best results later on. Would like to see DK pick what he thinks will be his starting 11 on Saturday and sub as though it was a league game he must know by now who he see's as his first 11.

Gunning too slow and that will cost us points, he will not be that Rock we need, I would worry if we go onto sign him, gives signals that the manager has no other options.

Trialists - no impression at all, stay clear

Poleon - looks the part, but his first Touch is horrendous, each time goes at least a yard and a half infront if it's not rolled on the floor to him, he brought it down well 2nd half once, but was flagged offside, plus he kind of runs at players like a headless chicken, very much an off the bench player for me now, but definitely has the potential, but just not good enough right now, hope he proves me wrong.

Rhys Murphy is gash

Jones looked very comfortable when he came on

Lots of sloppy passing tonight, which I'm sure will improve

Set pieces we looked to have little or no presence from any of the corners, again hope we're not relying on, the new big lad to fill that void on his own, really hoping for a new centre half

Bolton lad from Real Madrid, Marcelo look alike, was really good

We've got some good young players and I'm not worried at this point, but for me we have 3 or 4 players just not good enough, but it is just one game so quite willing to give people a few games, The manager was chopping and changing so no idea as yet to what the first team will look like together, but very much looking forward to it.

Trust the manager will get it right!

Just a few small points on last night:-

-New stand looks fab! Feels like a proper ground again.

-Steak & Ale pie was sublime!

-Darren Kelly cant be trusted to dress himself. Black shoes with blue pants is bad enough, but black sleeveless jumper with blue pants is unforgivable!

-The game was OK with us showing brief spurts of quality but nothing to trouble them too much. Gunning doesn't look mobile enough and I actually thought Edmunson looked more composed on the ball when he came on.

George Green looked like he wanted to be the star of the show and was constantly drifting way out of position to go and get the ball. It's a team game George and many of these lads have more first team experience than yourself. Trust them!

Poleon was absolutely shocking for me. Really want him to push on after what was a half decent finish to last season for the lad, but on last nights showing I definitely wouldn't be putting him in the starting line up. Every time he got the ball he either lost it to the opposition or crossed/shot the ball out of play.

-All in all on the football front, we just don't seem to have the ability to find that final ball to the front man to put him through. If we work on linking the midfield to the attack, which I think Kelly has mentioned in a recent interview, then we'll be ok as I'd have confidence that Turner, Forte or even Murphy would finish off most chances if put on a plate for them.

Still plenty to do but I'll remain optimistic for the time being.