Lee Johnson's much vaunted PowerPoint - here it is

To be fair, did Johnson ever say he didn't want to sign him? Or that he did? He wouldn't have been able to 'cower behind' SC if SC had had the sense not to get into the whole sorry ordeal in the first place.

I'm sure Corney said on one of the Radio Manchester phone-ins that Johnson went to the board in January and told them to sign him. But the first rumours after Rochdale away might have been initiated by the board.

Mind you, I mentioned that the other day and got shot down for it.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure Corney said on one of the Radio Manchester phone-ins that Johnson went to the board in January and told them to sign him. But the first rumours after Rochdale away might have been initiated by the board.

I get shot down, but I get up again

Your right, it was me who asked corney on the radio for clarification over the saga. Corney confirmed Johnson asked the board in the new year about signing the player.

That week of hell, I think when Johnson was asked by a reported on tv about the signing.....he said it was up to the board over the signing. Deflecting the question and made me think at the time that he did not have any control over the signing if it happened.

I take anything Corney says with a pinch of salt. Didn't Barry at one point mention that Johnson wasn't keen when the idea was initially floated but changed his mind after meeting with Evans? That would suggest he wasn't the one who initiated the whole thing.

It's irrelevant though, because the Board should have had the sense to tell their manager they weren't willing to put the club's reputation on the line.

The way I interpreted events was:

Barry meets Evans

Johnson leaks it to the press

Judgement call that the negative reaction meant don't do it

Latics start losing badly and need a striker

Johnson asks board to reignite the deal

The board, foolishly, back the manager and all hell breaks loose

Johnson distances himself from the deal on camera

Deal collapses

The way I interpreted events was:

Barry meets Evans

Johnson leaks it to the press

Judgement call that the negative reaction meant don't do it

Latics start losing badly and need a striker

Johnson asks board to reignite the deal

The board, foolishly, back the manager and all hell breaks loose

Johnson distances himself from the deal on camera

Deal collapses

It was the chairman of the PFA who leaked it to the press. Tried to force us to stop dragging our heels and ended up having the opposite effect.

So we were creating nothing with 1 up top so you would have replaced the 1. Still playing 4-4-1-1 ? Or would you have changed the formation too?

Didnt someone say that Fuller was going to come on at half time?

We had some decent position in front of their back four, just nothing beyond that, so we needed anybody with a bit of pace and power, which Poleon does possess and Fuller used to, to infiltrate that space behind.

There are circumstances where formation is important but I'm more of a believer in personnel as a dictator of the game, as a general rule. We'd have been a totally different side with a fast striker, without having to change formation.

We had some decent position in front of their back four, just nothing beyond that, so we needed anybody with a bit of pace and power, which Poleon does possess and Fuller used to, to infiltrate that space behind.

There are circumstances where formation is important but I'm more of a believer in personnel as a dictator of the game, as a general rule. We'd have been a totally different side with a fast striker, without having to change formation.

Doms pace is irrelevant. He can't hold his run despite looking right along the line. Then he went up front and didn't move instead opting to take up the no10 position rather than playing on the shoulder. Bizzare.

Doms pace is irrelevant. He can't hold his run despite looking right along the line. Then he went up front and didn't move instead opting to take up the no10 position rather than playing on the shoulder. Bizzare.

I dont think it would have helped even if we had Lewandowski up top. The service from midfield was non existent and our fullbacks never pushed on!

I will also say about Johnson that in Adam Rooney we had potentially one of the best strikers of recent times at the club but he couldn't get us to play in a way to suit him the way Aberdeen obviously have.

On that, I agree. His biggest failing, no question.

From the way LJ spoke at the Meet the Manager in January 2014, the problem with Rooney wasn't the system but his off the field issues. He'd put them behind him by then in terms of them being completed but sometimes you associate a place with a bad time and we were unlucky that, once he moved away, he could put it all behind him and improved his success on the pitch.

From the way LJ spoke at the Meet the Manager in January 2014, the problem with Rooney wasn't the system but his off the field issues. He'd put them behind him by then in terms of them being completed but sometimes you associate a place with a bad time and we were unlucky that, once he moved away, he could put it all behind him and improved his success on the pitch.

and Aberdeen dont play him on the wing, that always helps!

Finally someone has mentioned it. Best manager in our recent history who played attractive football. He knew the market both for buying and selling as well. Yes he was a bully and he did take it far with some players. Hopefully he's learned from his mistakes. We let him go and I think Corney wouldn't hesitate to get him back

Explain?

Adam Rooney at Walsall away though

Anyone could miss a penalty.........The skied effort from underneath the cross-bar either just before or after (not sure which!!) showed a striker lacking all confidence and instinct!

His drifting to the wing was just symbolic of the state of his game at that time. He was willing to work hard but was hopelessly out of touch and I suspect was becoming scared to miss.

Full marks to him for turning his career back around though and it is a fair call to hold the failure of the signing as a question mark against LJ.

Anyone could miss a penalty.........The skied effort from underneath the cross-bar either just before or after (not sure which!!) showed a striker lacking all confidence and instinct!

His drifting to the wing was just symbolic of the state of his game at that time. He was willing to work hard but was hopelessly out of touch and I suspect was becoming scared to miss.

Full marks to him for turning his career back around though and it is a fair call to hold the failure of the signing as a question mark against LJ.

Yea the sitter he missed before it