Rugby Playoff Final

Can't get my head round the fact they have won the league but still have to go into a playoff???

Quite the irony too. Last 7 or so years its been 1st straight up and the other promoted team the play off winner. Those 7 years (i think it's 7, someone correct me if im wrong) Oldham have been the beaten play off finalist 7 times. 1st year after they have "won" the league and they still need to do a playoff. Fingers crossed they do it!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite the irony too. Last 7 or so years its been 1st straight up and the other promoted team the play off winner. Those 7 years (i think it's 7, someone correct me if im wrong) Oldham have been the beaten play off finalist 7 times. 1st year after they have "won" the league and they still need to do a playoff. Fingers crossed they do it!

you've gone and done it now.. :stupid:

Can't get my head round the fact they have won the league but still have to go into a playoff???

Always does mine in too. Here in Australia, if you win the League, you win a minor Premiership, whether it be AFL, NRL or A-League. Then they play finals where anyone as low as eight place can be crowned premiers. Kinda defeats the purpose of the whole season. I have lived here nearly twenty years and I still cannot see the point.

Ohhh. We arent playing well atm so lets get some egg chasers in to :censored: the pitch up.

No, sorry, I dont get that one.

Rugby doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with a :censored:ed up pitch. We've got good ground staff, with warning they should be able to prepare sufficiently.

Rugby doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with a :censored:ed up pitch. We've got good ground staff, with warning they should be able to prepare sufficiently.

Couldn't the council be approached to contribute to pitch maintenance if there was a groundshare? Would be good for the town surely to have both teams playing at the main stadium.

Couldn't the council be approached to contribute to pitch maintenance if there was a groundshare? Would be good for the town surely to have both teams playing at the main stadium.

Be great for us charging the roughyeds rent..

Not so great for the roughyeds mind, the best thing they did was finding their own ground at the Whitebank to bring in their own revenue after Oldham council well and truly did them over.

If they play on the pitch during the summer when does all the major work get done? I have a felling they will end up at FC United's ground. It would most likely be cheaper than ours and more suitable, whether the pitch would need improving or not I'm not sure.

On another point. What happens to Whitebank if they win promotion? If it gets sold where do they play if they get relegated at some point and can't afford rent on another clubs ground? It's a very tricky situation for them.

It would be a shame if the Roughyeds

couldn't go up because their facilities

weren't up to standard required and we could probably do with the income

but been told we are owed over 20k

hence the reason they were booted

out!

Agree totally about the cash allegedly owed, and corney allegedly turfed them.but I can't see the logic of having the oldham rugby team playing in moston or leigh.i reckon it will happen

If Oldham rugby do pay up the money they owe, I have no doubt that Simon Corney would let them play. Oldham possibly will get 1000+ crowds plus big games against Leigh and fetherstone who do travel in numbers. it will be more people using the facilities. Having the rugby play through the summer and use the bars and the food kiosks will only benefit The OEC

Edited by SavageTheBeast

If Oldham rugby do pay up the money they owe them I have no doubt that Simon Corney would let them play. Oldham possibly will get 1000+ crowds plus big games against Leigh and fetherstone who do travel in numbers so it will be more people using the facilities. Having the rugby play through the summer and use the bars the food kiosk will only benefit The OEC

Surely a no brainer, given the facilities in the new stand, for us to take them and for them to pay up...

I went today, only my second league game (and the first was a higher quality match and a grander occasion), really enjoyed it. Can't say that I'd be a regular as I do like having some Saturdays to do something else when I'm not at Latics but I could see myself going now and again. If they gave ST holders a few rugby matches for a fiver I think they'd drag a few in. Saw a fair few Latics faces there today.

Well done Oldham. My dad used to take me to Roughyeds' games at BP back in the Super League days. Friday nights against the likes of Wigan and PSG!

Considering once apon a time they were the best RL team in the world, it's criminal the state they've been in recent years.