Rhys Murphy

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally think you can't but Leicester are proving me wrong. However you need more than one person who can tackle. We don't have that.

If thats the case and we are lightweight in midfield why does manager after manager stick with a losing formula of packing the midfield with lightweight midfielders, even when we play 5 in there we often get over run by teams with a 4 man midfield.

Fulton, Yeats, Philliskirk and Winchester are all weak in the battle and the majority of League 1 games are won in this area, yet we continuously try to accomodate lightweight midfielders in favour of forwards, it puts us on the back foot from the off and creates a negative mindset when the main objective is not conceding over scoring goals.

It amazes me that people can quickly write off a player who hardly got a chance. He never got a proper run in the team and I would have liked to see more of him in a latics shirt. I suspect the fans who have decided he is :censored: are the same ones who didnt rate rooney. Rooney was scoring goals before we signed him and is scoring goals after he has left. Murphy is arguably doing the same. Perhaps the problem isnt the players but managers not using players to the best of their ability

I agree with every word written here.

Equally, it amazes me that some see Rhys Murphy as some sort of Messiah who will save our season.

When he did get a chance, the quality finish in his final Latics game aside, he didn't exactly look the best.

Here's a novel idea how about sticking Cassidy and Murphy in a starting 11, Forte on the left with Poleon on the right, Jones and Kelly in the middle and jobs a good un.

I can see Jones and Kelly having to do a lot of defending as the 4 in front won't give you too much going backwards. However as long as Cassidy or Murphy are prepared to drop in the hole every now and again and are effective at doing it then it could well work.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I can see Jones and Kelly having to do a lot of defending as the 4 in front won't give you too much going backwards. However as long as Cassidy or Murphy are prepared to drop in the hole every now and again and are effective at doing it then it could well work.

Cassidy and Murphy are both very mobile and will defend from the front, the reason 2 up front has been a bit of a disaster for us is because Fuller and Higdon are not suited to the football we play out from the back (hoofball) and need it into feet, Higdon/Poleon showed signs of working until Dunn inexplicably dropped Poleon as they started to build up a relationship.

Murphy may not be the answer but he is technically a good player he just hasn't had a fair chance in a system that would suit him yet, don't forget he was Tommy Wrights signing only a couple of week before LJ and Wright :censored:ed off, he came to us injured and it was his first move up north away from his family so there are genuine reason why we may not of seen the best of him.

I agree with every word written here.

Equally, it amazes me that some see Rhys Murphy as some sort of Messiah who will save our season.

When he did get a chance, the quality finish in his final Latics game aside, he didn't exactly look the best.

Ditto Cassidy.

Murphy has worked mainly under Holden, Kelly and Dunn here - none of which I would really trust to get the best out of any of our players.

Cassidy and Murphy are both very mobile and will defend from the front, the reason 2 up front has been a bit of a disaster for us is because Fuller and Higdon are not suited to the football we play out from the back (hoofball) and need it into feet, Higdon/Poleon showed signs of working until Dunn inexplicably dropped Poleon as they started to build up a relationship.

Murphy may not be the answer but he is technically a good player he just hasn't had a fair chance in a system that would suit him yet, don't forget he was Tommy Wrights signing only a couple of week before LJ and Wright :censored:ed off, he came to us injured and it was his first move up north away from his family so there are genuine reason why we may not of seen the best of him.

Totally agree that higdon and poleon should have had more game time together but it was higdon not being allowed to play against Sheff Utd that broke the partnership.

He then played Winchester in behind higdon at Swindon which worked really well so a bit harsh to criticise Dunn for those changes.

Totally agree that higdon and poleon should have had more game time together but it was higdon not being allowed to play against Sheff Utd that broke the partnership.

He then played Winchester in behind higdon at Swindon which worked really well so a bit harsh to criticise Dunn for those changes.

After the Sheff Utd game did Poleon deserve to be dropped? He didn't have the best game as again he was asked to do a job he couldn't, Dunn had waxed lyrical about the Higdon/Poleon front two the week before yet we have hardly seen it since. For me the Swindon game was a good oppurtunity for the partnership to continue yet we went there with one up front again.

You are right Cassidy and Murphy could cover more ground than Higdon and fuller however I reckon they are more about working the channels tHan dropping deep I just feel in that team that we would see a big gap between Jones and Kelly and Cassidy and Murphy.

I would suggest a slight variation on that and play with a midfield diamond of

Kelly

Winchester Jones

Philiskirk

We played this very effectively last season and I'm not sure why we haven't seen it since. It sacrifices width but it's less off a problem if you have attacking full backs plus it links defence midfield and attack better.

4-4-2 with 2 up top and 2 wide men is expansive my concern is with this team is if the opposition scores 2 we won't score 3 so I think we need something slightly more pragmatic.

After the Sheff Utd game did Poleon deserve to be dropped? He didn't have the best game as again he was asked to do a job he couldn't, Dunn had waxed lyrical about the Higdon/Poleon front two the week before yet we have hardly seen it since. For me the Swindon game was a good oppurtunity for the partnership to continue yet we went there with one up front again.

No I don't think he did deserve to be dropped. But we dominated the game, won and higdon and Winchester both played really well.

Very good post.

In the Q&A yesterday DD was asked about Rhys Murphy & bringing him back , it was pointed out he was scoring goals DD answer was that is in League two, so my impression from the answer from DD he is clearly not rated by our management.

Jamie Vardy scored goals in non league so David Dunns view of "it's league 2" shows just how clueless the :censored: is