well that was terrible

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Brown playing left-back? He was decent last time I saw him at right-back..

We had an opportunity to build on last season this time around and the board have blown it by failing to appoint an appropriate manager firstly when Johnson left, secondly in the close season and thirdly after Kelly was sacked..

I suppose by next weekend i will be ready for another 90 minutes of depression but in nearly 40 years of supporting i have never had so little enthusiasm !

Does getting older make you wiser ? does it wear away at your sense of blind loyalty to the team?

Or are Latics just very very :censored: and not worth both the financial and the physical effort we all put in following them ???

First game of the season for me too, and quite possibly the last. Can't understand why Brown is in the team and Philly neither for that matter. Apart from the goalie who made some great saves to keep the score down, the rest didn't look interested or fit. Too many loanees for my money. Is there any hope ? Can anyone see any light ?

I suppose by next weekend i will be ready for another 90 minutes of depression but in nearly 40 years of supporting i have never had so little enthusiasm !

Does getting older make you wiser ? does it wear away at your sense of blind loyalty to the team?

Or are Latics just very very :censored: and not worth both the financial and the physical effort we all put in following them ???

Even the firmest loyalties are tested after so many years of this...

Looks like Corney has fallen for the big talk again.

What I noticed too was their 4th goal...Their lad looked up...Saw nothing...but must have thought ":censored: it" and had a go...Took it past 3 and scored.

You put one of our players in that position...we turn backwards and pass the ball back 20 yards

What worries me is that for the last few seasons I've felt there were 4 teams worse than Latics - but looking at the table now, I'm not sure that there are this season. For the last few years Corney has gambled over and over again - this looks like the year his bets go down!

Things we learnt / re-learnt today

1. Brown isnt good enough

2. Jones is crap on the wing

3. Jones hates being on the wing and we're risking the loss of a great player

4. Philliskirk should be nowhere near pur midfield.

5. Lafferty has some quality, should do ok

6. We create nowhere near enough chances

7. We have two decent keepers

8. Dunn should give up playing

9. Dieng should be in the team

10. Poleon and higdon play too far apart

11. Croft works hard but creates nothing

12. Yeates is too lightweight

13. Our bench looks awfully defensive

14. We're in big trouble

15. Higdon gets unfair grief even though he scores goals

Edited by Fruitygoo

He lost possession on the half way line for their third.

Not sure I would agree, Dunn lost the ball 30 yards out and they broke from there.

The most disappointing thing for me was Dunn's substitutions. Bringing himself on was a big mistake, I'm yet to see any of the flair or football brain that he should be bringing to the team due to his criminal lack of fitness, however it's clear to me given that fact he needs to play as part of a midfield 3. As a two, we get overrun with Dunn on the pitch. If he was coming on he should have gone 3-5-2 and had us try to play high up the pitch with two water carriers for him to just find space and play with the ball. It was a naive substitution fuelled by his desire to get on and change the game which I can understand but it did us no favours.

The defence were atrocious, it's going to be a very difficult season for us. It's rare that we lose and I genuinely think the other team were relegation fodder but today Scunthorpe were awful yet scored 4 and in truth could have had a couple more in the first half. Brown is actually not that terrible a footballer (ability wise) but he is so unintelligent with his positioning and the way he uses the ball he should be nowhere near the first team. Organisation at the back was non existent, Burns and Wilson worry me as they often stand off giving time and space to the forwards which almost cost us a few times in the first half.

The great mystery of Dieng rolls on. A better midfielder than Danny P, a better full back than Brown by a long way, a better centre back than Burns and a better partner for Wilson - still sits on the bench. Not quite the Kieran Lee saga but still rather puzzling.

I thought Higdon looked decent in the first half, Poleon is a bit headless but can cause a threat but the real issues are at the back and in midfield. I don't feel you really need to worry too much about the wingers, if you're controlling the game in the centre you'll naturally create space on the wings. Philiskirk offers very little in there, Jones should replace him or Dieng. At the moment we're carrying too many under performing players.

That's two capitulations at home already and there'll be more if we can't change some personnel. Brown set the ball rolling with a wayward pass but there were worse performances out there, much worse!

Before today, Scunthorpe hadn't won an away game since January and as soon as they realised we were a soft touch their confidence soared and we were a well beaten team. Our static defence made them look like Brazil and full marks to them for the way they went about their business.

Picking this lot up in time for the Blades will be a monumental task and this team has got relegation written right through it! Confidence is paramount in order to succeed and this team has none at all and we are so full of ball watchers it's frightening.

We've won one game all season and have been beaten 5.1 and 4.2 at home by lower placed teams. If one of ours had scored that last goal we'd have been talking about it for years but from a defensive point of view it was inexcusable and is possibly the worse case of giving up I've seen in 55 years watching my club.

Dunn has a massive job I fear just to keep us up and I just hope he's up to it......the opening of the new stand next week was supposed to give everyone a big boost but it's immediate impact has been totally nullified by our inept performances on the pitch.

Can the situation get any worse?

Winchester failed to influence the game in the 1 minute of actual time given him , doubt he will get another chance.

What on earth do they teach to get coaching badges .......a player not exactly a favourite enters the fray at 4 -2 down in the last minute .....farcical.

Winchester failed to influence the game in the 1 minute of actual time given him , doubt he will get another chance.

What on earth do they teach to get coaching badges .......a player not exactly a favourite enters the fray at 4 -2 down in the last minute .....farcical.

Bringing him on with 1min to go at 4-2 down was very disrespectful in my opinion!

All the top coaching badges at the club yet none of them can see Jones isn't a left winger or both centre backs cant clear set pieces in the air.

They all want text book tip tap football and are probably too pally with the players.

Fans are falling for all this theory claptrap, this is Division One not the Premier league. I will say this, if the team meets a big physical non league side in the FA cup they will go out.

Facile and simplistic to say that it's"loanees" that are the problem.

We stared wth three - Higson, burn, Lafferty.

The first never gt into the game but has scored at least 2 goals in the last couple of games

The second has looked a decent acquisition

The third - well for me and others he was one of the least worst players today

Jones has had so poor season - but showed last season he does have the ability and attitude

Philiskirk - poor yet again, can't win tackles to defend, doesn't bomb on into the box, the master of the safety first sideways or backwards pass

Brown - honest player but an accident eating to happen

Croft - poor today (except at right back where he covered for Brown)

Not enough aggression , determination, but today that was nowt to do with the contractual status of players