The Dunn Plan

Very admirable point at Coventry. Where do we go from here post-Christmas and into January?

Keep wondering what Dunn is building towards longer term and whether we can see indicators in the now, or whether he is trying to grind out results with a team in which he sees many as surplus to requirements.

Today he looked to favour the permanent players over the loanees - only Wellens, who you expect to be signed permanently if he impresses - with Cassidy over Higdon. That might mean he is looking at an influx of new lads in January, or is happy to settle with what he's got.

Some interesting questions to be answered over the next month or so.

It would be nice if we could work out how to start games on the front foot at home.

We seem to have worked out how to go away from home keep it tight and nick one late on. But at home to a bottom half team when the onus is on us to attack, we need to work out how to take the game to them from the kick off.

Edited by GlossopLatic

He says his priority is to make us hard to beat, and the goals will come. That means lots of 1 goal games which won't bring in the fans.

Regardless of what has gone on before, the situation that we're now in (bottom four with fragile confidence & soft centres in defence) dictates that we approach games in that way. We'll need to start getting a few clean sheets which, I'm sure, will upset a few but, unless there were changes to our situation & personnel, I don't think you can 'play' your way away from relegation.

He says his priority is to make us hard to beat, and the goals will come. That means lots of 1 goal games which won't bring in the fans.

He clearly thinks the players st his disposal aren't capable of out playing or out witting most teams in this league (he's probably right). So it's damage limitation being hard to beat until January transfer window.

My worry is he struggles to get players out of the club and can't bring the faces he wants in. He will then have a bunch of players he has verbally cast aside to try and battle against relegation. We will go down if that happens.

Regardless of what has gone on before, the situation that we're now in (bottom four with fragile confidence & soft centres in defence) dictates that we approach games in that way. We'll need to start getting a few clean sheets which, I'm sure, will upset a few but, unless there were changes to our situation & personnel, I don't think you can 'play' your way away from relegation.

So other teams with low confidence and soft centres like Swindon, Scunthorpe, Peterborough and Doncaster can play their way out of trouble but we can't?

Dunn set his stall out in his very first game in charge by setting out for us not to get beat and its been the same since, getting the fans back through the gate may not be his or the clubs priority, but the problem he has is the mind blowingly dull football doesnt produce any better results.

Certainly an element of truth, however our defence is generally weak, and our strength is in midfield, so you can determine the most efficient tactics in both an attacking and defensive way.

*I'd hoped this thread would be free from the bitching on all others Dunn-related. Maybe I should've used a diverting title...*

Edited by NewBlue

So other teams with low confidence and soft centres like Swindon, Scunthorpe, Peterborough and Doncaster can play their way out of trouble but we can't?

Dunn set his stall out in his very first game in charge by setting out for us not to get beat and its been the same since, getting the fans back through the gate may not be his or the clubs priority, but the problem he has is the mind blowingly dull football doesnt produce any better results.

Same as any manager would after the shambolic Peterborough tonking.

He did and we seemed to steady the ship but he hasnt progressed from overly defensive tactics

These two posts sum it up for me. Dunn did well to make the team competent early on, but the style he chose was always going to be a stop gap. He needs to show that he can do more than this in the near future.

Despite my doubts over Dunn, yesterday was undoubtedly a good point.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Good point if it wasn't for the fact Donny had scored 2 goals in 8 games previous to us playing them and one of them was a gimmie against Bury, Dunn himself points to draws at the start of his reign that if turned to wins would of made our season different and this was one such game.

Regardless of how good a point at Coventry was, drawing away games and losing home games will send us down. Dunn still has no 'plan' for home games.

He has a plan. Goes like this.

Try and be defensive with a :censored: defence and hope to nick a goal late on

Set team up to start really slowly just trying to absorb pressure

Concede inevitable goal

Panic

Tell players to go for it in second half, never before, even if 3 down.

Draw or lose

Blame players for being :censored:, previous management for signing :censored:, fans for being sarcastic :censored:s,

We shall see the home plan against Donny. It goes:

"Try and be defensive with a :censored: defence and hope to nick a goal late on

Concede inevitable goal
Panic
Draw or lose
Blame players for being :censored:, previous management for signing :censored:, fans for being sarcastic :censored:s."

Edited by Hands on

he seems to keep talking about resahping the team, thats great as it needs it but how much is Corney willing to back him January?

he seems to be standing by him and the way Dunn talks he must have had somme assurances regarding bringing new players in, will we see any permanent moves in?

He has a plan. Goes like this.

Try and be defensive with a :censored: defence and hope to nick a goal late on

Concede inevitable goal

Panic

Draw or lose

Blame players for being :censored:, previous management for signing :censored:, fans for being sarcastic :censored:s,

We shall see the home plan against Donny. It goes:

"Try and be defensive with a :censored: defence and hope to nick a goal late on

Concede inevitable goal

Panic

Draw or lose

Blame players for being :censored:, previous management for signing :censored:, fans for being sarcastic :censored:s."

Two accounts?