Blackpool in for Philiskirk

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to claim to be outraged but I do think it's a mistake to sell Philliskirk, given the position we're in. Say what you like about him but 7 goals in 28 is a decent return for someone who, for the most part, doesn't play up front, in a crap team.

True fact: Latics have won three league games this season and Danny Philliskirk has scored the winning goal in all three.

He took the shot against Chesterfield that ended up going in, via the keeper, post, and keeper again. It was an OG all day (and season) long.

Not a bad record for someone out of position, played all over midfield including a deeper role in the odd game. Not happy that he's going....

He gets a bad rep on here for being a bit soft but he's a striker FFS....he scores a few, wins penalties....when he's in the box he is a danger. We just don't put him there!

If he goes to Blackpool and plays up front, he'll score 7-10 this second half of the season

Not a bad record for someone out of position, played all over midfield including a deeper role in the odd game. Not happy that he's going....

He gets a bad rep on here for being a bit soft but he's a striker FFS....he scores a few, wins penalties....when he's in the box he is a danger. We just don't put him there!

If he goes to Blackpool and plays up front, he'll score 7-10 this second half of the season

Including 2 against us probably !!!!

The crux of the deal hinges on whether he is replaceable or not.

I'd suggest he is. Rasulo may well have been a better player than him, and Winchester is more able, if not as consistent this season. We've had several better players than him, both permanent and temporary, while he's been here, too.

£75k isn't much, but if we paid more than that for him I'd have been disappointed. Hence why I expected him to be a long-time servant to us.

Glad he's moving on myself, sick of every manager shoe horning him into the team when there are better options in those positions. He also turns and passes inside / backwards far too much. Think this is a blessing in disguise...

The crux of the deal hinges on whether he is replaceable or not.

I'd suggest he is. Rasulo may well have been a better player than him, and Winchester is more able, if not as consistent this season. We've had several better players than him, both permanent and temporary, while he's been here, too.

£75k isn't much, but if we paid more than that for him I'd have been disappointed. Hence why I expected him to be a long-time servant to us.

The problem I have is he seems to be one of few true model professionals left in the squad...the type I thought Dunn would want to build a squad around given his comments of late...if Kelly does go we will be left with laurel and hardy

The second post seems a lot more sensible to me. We as a club just do not have a clue about what is important!

The second post seems a lot more sensible to me. We as a club just do not have a clue about what is important!

Ideally we'd have a blend of steady players and talented players in the team, but Blue_Guru's comment is totally redundant when you're willing to snap any club's hand off which offers you money for your players. You simply cannot build a squad if you are letting go of your best players every single transfer window. Coincidently, the only time we have achieved that feat is this summer, yet we appointed an amateur manager 3 months too late and have suffered massively as a result.

When you're letting go of somebody like Philly, who has 18 months left on his contract and little probablity of reaping us sell-on reward, for a meagre fee of £75k, what chance have you of continuity?

Does anybody else think that Corney might be sanctioning sales of players Dunn said he would like to keep in a hope he resigns so he doesn't have to pay him off. Or is Corney just being Corney and any offer is a good offer and we will take it? Suppose we will see by who if anyone Dunn is allowed to sign on permanent deals. First signings are both on one month loans, and players that have been in the team during our terrible run. Hardly the start of reshaping your squad is it?

Edited by oafc1000

Does anybody else think that Corney might be sanctioning sales of players Dunn said he would like to keep in a hope he resigns so he doesn't have to pay him off. Or is Corney just being Corney and any offer is a good offer and we will take it? Suppose we will see by who if anyone Dunn is allowed to sign on permanent deals. First signings are both on one month loans, and players that have been in the team during our terrible run. Hardly the start of reshaping your squad is it?

Could be an element of that.

Another month of bad results and we are practically down anyway.

Dummigan and Lafferty have been good though, not sure why people are bellyaching about them signing.