Peterborough vs Oldham

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't defend the indefensible. Cornell is just that. (That doesn't justify abuse, either).

It's also wrong to characterise it as either pro-Coleman or pro-Cornell. Most accept neither are up to scratch at the current moment to be an adequate League 1 keeper.

Moaning about moaning then repeating the prevailing mood as though it's uncommon...

Coleman has made countless errors in the last 3 games alone and has cost us 2 goals, Now I agree that Cornell became a joke at times but how long can you defend Coleman before he becomes indefensable because if it wasnt for Shez and the players finally picking up we would still be losing due to keeper errors. Also dont forgot Coleman now has Gerrard there to organise the defence. Cornell had a defence intent on conceding ridiculous goals.

or is that it? Coleman gets more time because the players who didnt bail Cornell out are now picking up points? Individual errors can be ignored if we dont lose?

For me, Coleman showed enough last season in a difficult situation to say that he's a promising keeper and worth the time to develop him and for him to make some mistakes, be it this season or next.

I actually thought that Cornell was adequate earlier on in the season. The odd blunder yes, but a decent shot stopper too. Trouble is that the blunders increased and got worse as he went on, culminating in the Colchester error which threw away 2 crucial points and a home win for us. These blunders unsettled the defence which badly affected the team.

If Cornell does get another chance it'll be interesting to see if he improves with the guidance of Gerrard and Shirtliff or if he is so bad that he unsettles the current defence that has been doing well. But Coleman has currently shown more promise and Cornell has four years on him plus a long time in the academy of a Premier League team. Cornell has the much better pedigree and if he was good enough I feel that he would be holding down the keeper spot fairly comfortably this season.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Coleman has made countless errors in the last 3 games alone and has cost us 2 goals, Now I agree that Cornell became a joke at times but how long can you defend Coleman before he becomes indefensable because if it wasnt for Shez and the players finally picking up we would still be losing due to keeper errors. Also dont forgot Coleman now has Gerrard there to organise the defence. Cornell had a defence intent on conceding ridiculous goals.

or is that it? Coleman gets more time because the players who didnt bail Cornell out are now picking up points? Individual errors can be ignored if we dont lose?

Coleman only plays on the basis that Cornell is unplayable, in the bad sense of the word. I see it currently as though we've only got one keeper available.

Very few people are defending Coleman. They are simply saying we have no alternative, and Shez seems to think that way too.

Some need to get it out of their head that it's about Coleman v Cornell...

You're in a minority of 1 then.

Make that 2! I think if he manages to tip that over the bar it goes down as a good piece of instinctive goalkeeping. There's no way he should be expected to anticipate that ball coming in like it does - it's quite clearly meant to be a cross. Just a bit unlucky.

Make that 2! I think if he manages to tip that over the bar it goes down as a good piece of instinctive goalkeeping. There's no way he should be expected to anticipate that ball coming in like it does - it's quite clearly meant to be a cross. Just a bit unlucky.

I didn't realise it was even open for debate. He lets a ball travel 40 yards through the air and over his head whilst completely unchallenged and with a clear sight-line.

I'll not get in to who should/should not play as I don't see enough of the games. But that goal is his fault, that's just a fact.

So; 3.

Coleman only plays on the basis that Cornell is unplayable, in the bad sense of the word. I see it currently as though we've only got one keeper available.

Very few people are defending Coleman. They are simply saying we have no alternative, and Shez seems to think that way too.

I defend Coleman. He will turn out to be a very good keeper but is having a few confidence issues at the moment.

It was definately a cock-up the other night. He should have handled the cross/shot much better and palmed it over the bar

I didn't realise it was even open for debate. He lets a ball travel 40 yards through the air and over his head whilst completely unchallenged and with a clear sight-line.

I'll not get in to who should/should not play as I don't see enough of the games. But that goal is his fault, that's just a fact.

So; 3.

2-1 actually!

So; 3.

Still not sure I agree. He's expecting a cross towards the men arriving into the box. So when the ball is whipped in, he's on his toes, and immediately moves towards where he's expecting the ball to end up in an attempt to claim it. He then has to backtrack rapidly when it becomes apparent that the ball's looping unexpectedly in a different direction, and almost manages to tip it over the bar. I'd say it's more luck on the part of the attacker than a mistake by him.

(I'd also question why James Wilson's stood static on the edge of the six yard box instead of tracking his man in case of a rebound...)

Edited by OneSizeFitz

Still not sure I agree. He's expecting a cross towards the men arriving into the box. So when the ball is whipped in, he's on his toes, and immediately moves towards where he's expecting the ball to end up in an attempt to claim it. He then has to backtrack rapidly when it becomes apparent that the ball's looping unexpectedly in a different direction, and almost manages to tip it over the bar. I'd say it's more luck on the part of the attacker than a mistake by him.

(I'd also question why James Wilson's stood static on the edge of the six yard box instead of tracking his man in case of a rebound...)

Wilson, I agree with you. However, "Whipped" and "Rapidly" I do not - that ball floats in, I just watched it back and it's at least 1.5 seconds of air time.

As I say, I'm not looking to have him dropped or anything melodramatic. But that goal is his fault.

Can't agree with that. He should have caught that ball. Easily.

Wilson, I agree with you. However, "Whipped" and "Rapidly" I do not - that ball floats in, I just watched it back and it's at least 1.5 seconds of air time.

As I say, I'm not looking to have him dropped or anything melodramatic. But that goal is his fault.

Perhaps. We can agree to disagree!

...or maybe people can't be arsed to post.

I'm not sure anybody has said its Coleman vs Cornell however despite your view they are our 2 keepers & when a new manager comes in players get a clean slate.

I replied directly to someone who argued that Coleman should get a break because he came through the youth team. Mistakes are mistakes & Coleman cannot carry on like he is or Cornell may get a fresh start from Shez.

Some are saying that the Peterborough goal wasnt a mistake? Coleman got back on his line and got a full hand on the ball in an attempt to put the ball over the bar. He had time to adjust & catch or even punch the ball away, either way he should have cleared the bar.

That was a standard catch or palm over at worst, the ball was in the air for a fair while and he was under no pressure.

In the end he didn't get enough on the ball to send it over the bar. He's been very fortunate not to let one or two soft goals in lately, I just hope he can eradicate the silly errors as we cannot afford any more soft goals.

I think Cornell suffered from the situation too. Because we couldn't win at all and things were so desperate, he was getting labelled with blunders that were hardly that. I forget who it was against but there was a cross he reached full stretch for, tipped it away but it went straight to a striker and they scored. Could he have done better? Maybe. But it was hardly a blunder, yet he was crucified for it.

Also, with Cornell although he's older had he played that many more league games than Coleman at the start of the season? Not sure but I don't think he was much more experienced in terms of league starts.

I wouldn't change things though. We're winning so no need to rock the boat at this stage.

Unlike his predecessor Shez has also come up with the novel idea of trying to get us to score at least 2 goals as often as possible on the basis Coleman might well throw one in....

That was a standard catch or palm over at worst, the ball was in the air for a fair while and he was under no pressure.

In the end he didn't get enough on the ball to send it over the bar. He's been very fortunate not to let one or two soft goals in lately, I just hope he can eradicate the silly errors as we cannot afford any more soft goals.

For me the mistakes he makes are mainly down to poor positioning of his feet - he is often caught on his heels with crosses which contributes to the mistakes. Work on that and he will cut out many of the howlers.