Legend status

I guess that's the point. For anyone my age or over the last 20 years hasn't produced a single legend.

I see your point, I'm 20 and have only seen us play in L1 so my definition of a legend is a lot different to yours. To me the likes of Eyres, Liddell, Taylor, Gregan and Pogs are club legends because they were my heroes growing up - Sheridan was the pick of them after the miracle last year, but he's ruined my opinion of him with this. It's a shame because there's very few players who I can say are club legends having watched them and Shez has made that one fewer with his move to Notts.

1998 to 2009 spanned the period that I was 11-22 years old. I could have gone off and found other things to waste money and weekends on but John Sheridan kept me going to Latics after initially being dragged along by my dad in what were headier days in the top 2 divisions.

Firstly, after Ritchie became manager and inherited a pretty weak hand and an unambitious board, Sheridan's impact on improving that team and giving us hope of survival (or a third relegation inside half a decade) was immense - and we survived.

In 2003, when everyone else had walked, he didn't have to come out of retirement, but he did and he gave us hope, leadership and quality - and we survived

In January, again, very little hope remained, when who stepped in and turned it around? That man again. And we survived.

For me he's in a class of his own and I'll be forever grateful for what he's done for my club. Thanks John.

I would place Shez in the top 2 footballers ever to have played at Latics, albeit towards the end of their careers.

Ever is a massive word . Better than Johnstone, Hardwick, Ritchie ? Assuming Winchrster isn't the other one - who is?

Not sure exactly what the difference between a cult hero and legend is, but Sheridan falls into the cult hero bracket rather that the legend status that the Royle era produced.

I'd say people like Harkins are more cult hero, players you expected to be :censored: but were actually good...

Not sure exactly what the difference between a cult hero and legend is, but Sheridan falls into the cult hero bracket rather that the legend status that the Royle era produced.

Nah.

Great player for us, one of our best ever.

Stayed on at the club long term after retirement.

Turned up to take training the first working day after Moore pulled the plug (I'm sure I was once told?)

Risked his health by coming out of retirement to help us.

As manager first time round he produced the best football we've played since Royle.

Saved us from relegation this time.

Of course he's a club legend.