Ripley - Still a possibility?

Loan deadline is end of the month isn't it? So come end of August may get better value but not if we are desperate to get someone in the next 48 hours.

Anyway, Ripley will clearly be announced on loan until January on Friday.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, bozman said:

Blackburn have signed Jayson Leutwiler  from Shrewsbury which would appear to rule them out of the chase for Ripley. According to some journalists they were favourites to sign him.

I think Bristol City overtook them.

I can't see him going anywhere where he's not going to be first choice. He might aswell stay at Boro and re-assess in January. 

Would he be first choice at Burton?

If not, we must bizarrely be favourites to get him again :lol:

I've got a feeling Stryjek might be even better though and it's all got a bit "awkward" (as the youngsters say) with Ripley.

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I can't see him going anywhere where he's not going to be first choice. He might aswell stay at Boro and re-assess in January. 

Would he be first choice at Burton?

If not, we must bizarrely be favourites to get him again :lol:

I've got a feeling Stryjek might be even better though and it's all got a bit "awkward" (as the youngsters say) with Ripley.

Favourites ahead of Bristol City?

I had completely given up hope but it really wouldn't surprise me if the club are playing with us and Ripley is announced on a permanent on Friday getting everyone buzzing for the match.

1 minute ago, oafc_lover said:

Favourites ahead of Bristol City?

I had completely given up hope but it really wouldn't surprise me if the club are playing with us and Ripley is announced on a permanent on Friday getting everyone buzzing for the match.

Its Oldham. Wont happen. We will sign that guy who was in net last night instead

32 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Not sure we will be in with a shout without Ryan Mc being sold. He won't sign a new deal so I can't see Boro loaning him out again, it'll be a sale IMO.

If he wont sign a new deal then why would Middlesbrough send him out on loan? They are going large to get promoted again and the money they get for RIPLEY either transfer or loan is peanuts. More importantly they get to have a talented reserve  keeper on the bench ready for an emergency - Ripley -  Middlesbrough are not a charity they will do what is best for them

Hope I'm wrong and he signs tomorrow :)

Since refusing to sign a new contract Boro have decided to try and get some money for him now rather than pay him for a year and see him go on a free.  The problem now is that everyone would prefer a loan so Boro might crack and send him to the team who offers to pay the largest proportion of his wages.  Can't see that being us.

2 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Since refusing to sign a new contract Boro have decided to try and get some money for him now rather than pay him for a year and see him go on a free.  The problem now is that everyone would prefer a loan so Boro might crack and send him to the team who offers to pay the largest proportion of his wages.  Can't see that being us.

Or the team that will give them the highest sell on clause fee , and that will be us !!!

To be this close to the season start & still no keeper in place suggests that Shez must still think a deal can be done.

27 minutes ago, Hands on said:

And we have to sign a keeper for Saturday.

Assuming we can put a credible deal together (big assumption, I know), I think this is a big problem for us in comparison to his other suitors. They all have other decent keepers they'd be happy to start the season with, so can afford to take their time and haggle over the deal. We need someone in the next 48 hours.

Unless Shez  is willing to bring a number 2 in now and risk having to play him for 3 or 4 games before we get a number 1.

6 minutes ago, bozman said:

Unless Shez  is willing to bring a number 2 in now and risk having to play him for 3 or 4 games before we get a number 1.

I'd like to think playing our number 2 on Saturday, or at any time of the season, wouldn't be seen as a "risk" rather that he just isn't as good as our number 1. Yet. 

Just now, HarryBosch said:

I'd like to think playing our number 2 on Saturday, or at any time of the season, wouldn't be seen as a "risk" rather that he just isn't as good as our number 1. Yet. 

So would I but Kettings' sole appearance suggested otherwise last season.

3 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

Having had a look at rule 55 emergency goalkeeper loans we haven't got a senior registered keeper to be injured, suspended or called up. So looks like deadline is 12 noon on Friday. 44 hours and counting.... Non contract terms etc... unless Nash signed, got injured and then can get someone in on Sat that fits a shirt with Ripley on back. Getting silly this. 

It's a top, top rule that. One of my favourites. 

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

It's a top, top rule that. One of my favourites. 

If we hadn't sold two youth team keepers we wouldn't be in this position.

What's happened to Callum O'Neill, last seasons youth team keeper, he looked very promising?

Edited by BP1960

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Shez didn't sign Kettings 

No, but I think the targets are assessed and veted by Nash, as they were last season. My point though is that if we're going to stretch ourselves trying to get Ripley ( let's face it, he'd be at the top end of the wage structure if we got him) it's inevitable that the back up will not be on anywhere near the same money or of similar ability, unless we get very lucky.