Ripley - Still a possibility?

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

If it's going to be a loan Stryjek could actually better than Ripley. 

Just putting it out there :grin: 

Stryjek has precisely zero first team experience, that's what would put the frighteners on it for me.

Given that there has been no official announcement from the Ripley camp, but a number of interested clubs (ourselves included), I'd imagine that all possibilities are still live at the moment.

I suspect that we have an offer on the table with his agent and his club - and we have a backup plan also lined up in case that doesn't get taken up.  I imagine that the view is that he should be able to get a guaranteed first choice at a 'bigger' club than Oldham and on better terms - but it also seems as though his Dad/Agent is clearly focused on what is the right option for him at this stage of his career - and that appears rightly to be playing regular football.

If any of the clubs linked (Bristol / Sheffield United / Blackburn etc) give the word that he is first choice - then that's where he will go.  If they don't, it might be that he still does end up back at BP.

17 hours ago, pk200 said:

We have made it so obvious to agents/keepers out of contract etc that we are desparate to sign a keeper that naturally the cost of a signing is rising day by day IMHO.

To the 2 downboaters ....please offer a alternative view rather than hide behind a downer.

1 minute ago, Ackey said:

I didn't don't vote; but where is it we've made it obvious we're desperate? We've time yet and any keeper coming in from the PL on loan will basically be free or close to it...

I'm of the opinion that longer you leave it choice diminishes and price increases

Alan Nixon on twitter has said that 'a championship reserve keeper will trial for Oldham tonight'

Just for the ones who won't take the bait, I will. Could it be Connor Ripley? ;)

In all seriousness Alan also said that he is trialing for Oldham whilst we wait for a decent from the lad at Sunderland (or rather Sunderland's decision)

Ahh I guess we'll see!

20 minutes ago, pk200 said:

I'm of the opinion that longer you leave it choice diminishes and price increases

Disagree ( but not enough to downboat you) 

As other teams squads get whittled down to a starting 11 over the next week or two so many goalkeepers are going to realise that they are not the managers first choice and faced with a season on the bench will be asking their agents to "get me a first team position" 

even at Ice station Zebra

27 minutes ago, pk200 said:

That is along as demand is in excess of supply.

As someone else pointed out - if the number of clubs looking for a first choice keeper diminishes and there are still a number of players that want first team football then the law of economics works in out favour.

3 minutes ago, singe said:

Seen someone say we have Ben Wilson ex Sunderland/Accrington  on trial. 

Kinell. He'll do well here.....

After conceding a goal from a free-kick taken by Jerome Okimo from inside his own half during a 2–1 defeat to Stevenage,[14] Wilson became embroiled in a row with Wimbledon supporters after he received criticism of his performance on social media website Twitter. Wilson responded to the messages by posting you're still paying to watch me every week and helping towards my wage, I'm laughing and you're losing out.[15][16] His loan spell was cut short ahead of schedule two days later on 14 December 2015.[17]

Edited by lookersstandandy

42 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Kinell. He'll do well here.....

After conceding a goal from a free-kick taken by Jerome Okimo from inside his own half during a 2–1 defeat to Stevenage,[14] Wilson became embroiled in a row with Wimbledon supporters after he received criticism of his performance on social media website Twitter. Wilson responded to the messages by posting you're still paying to watch me every week and helping towards my wage, I'm laughing and you're losing out.[15][16] His loan spell was cut short ahead of schedule two days later on 14 December 2015.[17]

I think I remember that. I suppose he could have said you're  paying for my Christmas presents! 

Sky sources: Robbin Ruiter will fly into the north east tomorrow to undergo a medical with Sunderland

The Dutch goalkeeper, who has spent time on trial at The Stadium of Light this summer, will sign a two-year-deal. 

17 hours ago, pk200 said:

Disagree. Sky reporting (see Gaz) that Sunderland are getting a keeper imminently, wehich frees up a place hat would not be free.

It depends on there being enough keepers freed up above us though.