Ripley - Still a possibility?

15 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Back on thread, seems strange we still don't have a keeper and he STILL hasn't signed for anyone.... not that I have ever thought he would come back but whilst it still goes on......

I noticed today whilst walking past Little Wembley there wasn't one keeper training  ... ie i was still under the impression the german lad was still around?

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm still not convinced that Sheridan has given up on Ripley...

Was thinking the same myself this morning. There's a reason we haven't signed a keeper yet. 

Plenty out there.

There's also a reason Bristol City or Blackburn haven't landed him yet.

It's pointless guessing the situation but there's nothing wrong with clinging on to some hope that maybe, just maybe we're pulling out all the stops to offer the lad a good deal.

Let's not forget though that we need 2 keepers never mind just the 1!

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Me either. It just seems odd that he's been banded about to loads of clubs by the media for over a week, yet not signed for any of those clubs yet. Ripley, and Midds very quiet o  the matter. Must mean something going on behind the scenes somewhere. 

Could it possibly be that he hasn't been promised No1 status at the interested clubs. As has been said many times he will want to play and perhaps sitting on the bench doesn't appeal....for that he'd be better off staying at Boro.

40 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Could it possibly be that he hasn't been promised No1 status at the interested clubs. As has been said many times he will want to play and perhaps sitting on the bench doesn't appeal....for that he'd be better off staying at Boro.

I thought something similar. Must admit when I heard Bristol City were interested, my first instinct was it would be a permanent deal seeing as he only has a year left on his deal currently, so was surprised to read rumours it's likely to only be a loan deal, especially when they have a good goalkeeper already in Fielding.    

Got to say I'm surprised he hasn't been snapped up by someone, but at the end of the day, it's all conjecture, we don't even know how the player himself feels about his future. It would be a shame if a player of his calibre were to waste his talents staying at a club where, barring an injury crisis, he's unlikely to see the first team, but if he really wants to make it at his boyhood club and prove his doubters wrong, good on him I suppose. 

Hopefully we'll have someone sorted before our game against the Dark Lord's Select XI (reserves) tonight.

Edited by Chorlton_Latic

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I can't see why he would.  His options appear to be Bristol and Blackburn and he's not guaranteed to be first choice at either.  Boro would apparently prefer to send him out on loan (presumably they would look for him to sign a new contract first) and if that's the route they go down then at least with Latics he'd play every game.

I imagine our first choice keeper will be a last minute decision because Shez's targets are all in demand and their clubs can afford to pick and choose the best (not necessarily highest) bid. I think Bolten will take the backup shirt but either Sheridan wants to see how good his number one is before confirming or the club want to announce the number one first to head off any grumbles.

1 hour ago, Stevie_J said:

I can't see why he would.  His options appear to be Bristol and Blackburn and he's not guaranteed to be first choice at either.  Boro would apparently prefer to send him out on loan (presumably they would look for him to sign a new contract first) and if that's the route they go down then at least with Latics he'd play every game.

Manchester United have plenty of keepers, it will be interesting to see who plays tonight. If he impresses he could be a loan possibility.  

Edited by BP1960

The only number one that we can realistically wait for until Friday is the talented one.  If there is someone else coming surely he must play tonight even if he wears a mask to conceal his identity.  Our back four and cover must be as good as any in this division but without a decent keeper all that is worth nothing.

It is possible that with only one year on his contract Ripley is playing the field and has not accepted a contract extension if one has been muted or offered.  Boro might be reluctant to send him out on loan and into the shop window unless and until he signs an extension which means they might want to sell now him against his wishes if it is true he wants to stay at Boro.  Cat and mouse.

9 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Shez has ruled it out !! It's not happening ! Or am I missing something here ?

"It's one of the reasons we have held out," admitted Sheridan on his goalkeeper hunt. "We would love to have had Connor Ripley back, but that looks like it has probably gone now.

"There was a little bit of hope and if there was a good chance of getting him, I was going to hold out. But it's gone a bit too far and now I will go for another option.

"We are speaking to one or two clubs and I'm not worried about it. It is not uncomfortable, as the goalkeepers we are looking at have all been playing throughout pre-season.

"If we can get one of the three we are looking at as first-choice goalkeepers, then I'll be pleased. I don't think it will be a problem getting a number two, but I want to make sure we have a number one in first."

He says he'll look at other options. I'm sure Corney will be doing everything in his power to keep plugging away for a deal knowing how big it would be for the fan base.

Nowhere in this quote does it say Ripley will definitely not be returning.

Until he signs elsewhere, there's always going to be hope and speculation.

10 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

"It's one of the reasons we have held out," admitted Sheridan on his goalkeeper hunt. "We would love to have had Connor Ripley back, but that looks like it has probably gone now.

"There was a little bit of hope and if there was a good chance of getting him, I was going to hold out. But it's gone a bit too far and now I will go for another option.

"We are speaking to one or two clubs and I'm not worried about it. It is not uncomfortable, as the goalkeepers we are looking at have all been playing throughout pre-season.

"If we can get one of the three we are looking at as first-choice goalkeepers, then I'll be pleased. I don't think it will be a problem getting a number two, but I want to make sure we have a number one in first."

He says he'll look at other options. I'm sure Corney will be doing everything in his power to keep plugging away for a deal knowing how big it would be for the fan base.

Nowhere in this quote does it say Ripley will definitely not be returning.

Until he signs elsewhere, there's always going to be hope and speculation.

Fair enough. I don't think it will happen FWIW. Be delighted if it did tho. 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick