Ripley - Still a possibility?

We should defend from the front, team game and each man has a defensive job to do unless there are a free spirit like Harkins, Baxter, Boshell... Many of our clean sheets last season came from the defence in front of Ripley and the cover midfield supplied at times.

I'd love it if Ripley came back as he does look a good keeper prospect, he's still learning the game but has good shot stopping, commands the area, appears to have a big personality, is a fully paid up member of the Goalkeepers Union and I know my opinion of him was elevated to hero after the double penalty save but is it possible that a good enough keeper would do if the 10 players in front of him pull their weight?

Goals win games, goals change games and we don't score enough. The defence and midfield almost link up well but there is a disconnect between the midfield and the forwards that we need to solve, hopefully Gardner can do that? If we score more it takes a bit of pressure off the other end, towards the end of last season if we scored first we won. I think? There may be some alternative facts that prove otherwise but that's how I remember it so that's what counts.

Ripley was a very good base of the defence last season which gave the players in front of him something to build on and the confidence to go on and win those clean sheets and it would be great to have him back here but if it doesn't happen then as long as we sort out putting the ball in at the other end we may still do OK without him.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A week to go to the first game and the squad is still two short. Ripley's successor and a central midfielder. 

Sheridan has recently stated that he would like a defensive midfield player whereas I believe we need a creative player in that area of the pitch; or is Gardner the man?

In Shez we trust? Yes I do but it would be nice if ....well you know the rest.

I'm hoping that Fane kicks on and becomes the defensive midfielder that he could be and agree with you that it is the creative side that we need to work on. Fane, Edmondson or Stott could play or give cover as defensive midfield leaving room in the squad for cover in the creative midfield position.

36 minutes ago, beag_teeets said:

I'm hoping that Fane kicks on and becomes the defensive midfielder that he could be and agree with you that it is the creative side that we need to work on. Fane, Edmondson or Stott could play or give cover as defensive midfield leaving room in the squad for cover in the creative midfield position.

I think Sheridan wants to play 3 in midfield so I think it will be fane, green, plus one more from a new signing/banks/gardner/Flynn. 

What he means by a defensive midfielder is someone who will pick the ball off the defence and control the game (like himself or a wellens type). Not a ball winner. 

1 hour ago, beag_teeets said:

We should defend from the front, team game and each man has a defensive job to do unless there are a free spirit like Harkins, Baxter, Boshell... Many of our clean sheets last season came from the defence in front of Ripley and the cover midfield supplied at times.

I'd love it if Ripley came back as he does look a good keeper prospect, he's still learning the game but has good shot stopping, commands the area, appears to have a big personality, is a fully paid up member of the Goalkeepers Union and I know my opinion of him was elevated to hero after the double penalty save but is it possible that a good enough keeper would do if the 10 players in front of him pull their weight?

Goals win games, goals change games and we don't score enough. The defence and midfield almost link up well but there is a disconnect between the midfield and the forwards that we need to solve, hopefully Gardner can do that? If we score more it takes a bit of pressure off the other end, towards the end of last season if we scored first we won. I think? There may be some alternative facts that prove otherwise but that's how I remember it so that's what counts.

Ripley was a very good base of the defence last season which gave the players in front of him something to build on and the confidence to go on and win those clean sheets and it would be great to have him back here but if it doesn't happen then as long as we sort out putting the ball in at the other end we may still do OK without him.

I was with you until you brought the nightmare back that was Boshell.

27 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

"new midfield names being mentioned too"

plural... 

Freddie Woodman is good and young, would we be happy with him?

Come  in number 17, we need you.

Edited by BP1960

4 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

Is that someone you've recommended BP?

No, but number 17 is someone I'd definitely want to see again.

I liked his attitude as well as his obvious ability.

Only seen Freddie for England where he looked the part. His dad Andy was also a goalkeeper and he thwarted Latics on many occasions in the old days

9 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

He says it's not Woodman and hasn't yet replied to someone asking if its Cameron Dawson....  

Dont think Dawson is over 6ft, but reportedly assured and a  good shot stopper. 

On 7/29/2017 at 9:04 AM, beag_teeets said:

Fanes natural game is going forward, he looks at his best when he picks the ball up just inside his own half then goes on one of them runs leaving the opposition on their backsides. Robinson nearly ruined him last season by stopping him doing that. He looks a lot better player when he has the freedom to get forward. That's just my opinion of course.

1 hour ago, oafc1000 said:

Fanes natural game is going forward, he looks at his best when he picks the ball up just inside his own half then goes on one of them runs leaving the opposition on their backsides. Robinson nearly ruined him last season by stopping him doing that. He looks a lot better player when he has the freedom to get forward. That's just my opinion of course.

.. everytime he does that i always remember back to Dave Beharell (?) and his mazy run from deep with the ball seemingly stuck to his boot .. resulting in it finding the back of the net!

1 hour ago, thetramfixer said:

.. everytime he does that i always remember back to Dave Beharell (?) and his mazy run from deep with the ball seemingly stuck to his boot .. resulting in it finding the back of the net!

Except Fane's shooting ability and passing ability leaves a lot to be desired.

9 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Except Fane's shooting ability and passing ability leaves a lot to be desired.

I think his passing improved as the the season wore on. It was the lack of shooting which was his downfall, resulting in the attempted pass in front of goal when it would have been easier to score.

19 hours ago, thetramfixer said:

David Beharell went on one mazy run lead to a goal against Wigan where a shot deflected and pearolled past the Keeper.

On Fane's runs while he looks pretty imposing when he strides forward with the ball almost like YaYa Toure in his prime. What would be good is if it could lead to a goal or a killer pass at the end of it.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember one of these runs resulting in a goal. 

Like others I think he's best playing box to box I don't think he's got the positional awareness to play that roll yet. Playing someone with that positional awareness who will sit infront of the back 4 and start attacks might be the one thing that allows Fane to fulfill his potential. Banks does this a little bit to be fair and despite what people say he does tackle but perhaps we need someone that little bit better.

Edited by GlossopLatic

8 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Does anyone mind if I ask how come a thread about Ripley still being a possibility ends up with a discussion about Fane. Just wondered.

Take it for what it is Pete, at least it has not turned into a slanging match yet.