Walsall v Oldham

Very very worrying second half, for the 2nd saturday running the substitutes have made absolutely zero impact, infact today they made us worse. The lineup baffled me, Why is Davies on the rightwing? He is a striker. Where has Holloways first touch gone? The ball used to stick to him, his form is very worrying, the fact he doesn't score was somewhat forgiven with the rest of his game, but even that at the moment is no where near good enough. What in the actual fuck is our midfield all about? Literally piss weak with Banks in there, Fane was shite too. What has happened to our defence? We look awful, conceding 7 in 3 is not good enough, the obvious answer is there is no Ripley but that doesn't pass with me, the defence need to get it sorted. I was happy with Wilsons debut last week but he was crap today, number 1 needed ASAP. 

Not going to get carried away but very poor start to the season, may just be me but something doesn't quite feel right with the players and Shez, I can't put my finger on it, but hearing Shez's interview after and all doesn't seem rosey at the minute.

tough game next week too, really need to get on the board, even a point will do.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just home and settled for tea after a journey in oafcmetty's electric car, which we needed to stop to charge on the way home (that's a different fucking story!)

The game - I was surprised to read comments on Twitter at half time saying that we were playing well. I thought we were pretty poor in the 1st half, failed to get control in the middle and didn't create very much. We scored a very scrappy goal, but still had a lucky escape or two, notably when a corner bounced across our goal, four yards out, until Hunt cleared. The second half was an absolute disaster. We were dominated from 46-94 and, to be quite frank, if we had got anything from that game, it would have been a travesty. A mixture of poor finishing, a wonder save from Wilson, the woodwork and luck kept us in the game. They put every single corner on Wilson and he failed to deal with any of them. For the winning goal, Otzhumer started on the right hand side next to the taker. He then wandered away from Fane and ended up with a tap in at the far stick and wasn't tracked or picked up by anyone. I am no fan of Olly Banks, but I disagreed with some of the abuse he was getting today. Their number 7 had the freedom of the park almost every time he got the ball and, whilst Banks is part of the midfield that should have been closing him down, I counted 8 instances where Banks and Fane were both with men and Fawns was stood in no-mans land and should have closed him down. 

Atmosphere - As bad as I can remember for an opening away game. Nobody seemed up for it and there seemed to be a divide in the Athleticos section, with bickering going on over, I think, Banks.

Shez - His statement about needing 5 or 6 new players is bang on. It's something a few of us have said on here and Twitter before and been accused of being negative and "doom and gloomers". Pretty confident he'll get it sorted. He usually does...

There's no way 5 or 6 players will be coming in without shipping a few out.

3 weeks to sign half a team....slightly easier than what we had to do last

season I suppose!

Can see Mcglauglin being sacrificed now to raise the funds.

Half hearted attempt from Holloway at closing down for the first goal and Fane showed a lack of awareness for the second.

Players who move off the ball have troubled Latics in the last few games, whereas ours stand around like statues, surely the coaching team should be putting that right, all it needs is a desire to run about.

Goals;

http://www.skysports.com/football/walsall-vs-oldham/375193

Edited by BP1960

Lack of celebration for our goals lately from the players makes me think something's not right. No one really reacted when McLaughlin scored and in the burton game, after davies scored the penalty they all just ran back.

Hope whatever unrest is going on is sorted sooner rather than later

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Half hearted attempt from Holloway at closing down for the first goal and Fane showed a lack of awareness for the second.

Players who move off the ball have troubled Latics in the last few games, whereas ours stand around like statues, surely the coaching team should be putting that right, all it needs is a desire to run about.

Goals;

http://www.skysports.com/football/walsall-vs-oldham/375193

'surely the coaching team should be putting that right, all it needs is a desire to run about.'

Well we've got a manager, an assistant manager, a 1st team coach, and a fitness coach so yes I think you are probably right, and yet we still manage to send teams out like that!

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The game - I was surprised to read comments on Twitter at half time saying that we were playing well. I thought we were pretty poor in the 1st half, failed to get control in the middle and didn't create very much. We scored a very scrappy goal, but still had a lucky escape or two, notably when a corner bounced across our goal, four yards out, until Hunt cleared.

A large number on here have accepted dross as acceptable Lee. First game was dire and those who dared to say it were chastised, Burton was dire and those who dared to say it were told we scored two goals and were competitive.

I expect better than the odd lucky goal and ricocheted chance. I want to see decent passing moves and players who can trap a ball. I don't even mind a side who can play the long-ball effectively with men running off a target man.

However the truth is we're just lapping up fucking drivel. Standards have dropped badly.

Davies and Holloway were playing so far apart from each other they were almost in different postcodes.

Banks passed the ball around well. The three blokes trying to get "Get the twat off" into song format was cringeworthy of the highest order.

As a whole though, we've a lot of work to do. Looking forward to seeing Gardner though.

Not for the first time, I was ashamed to be sat amongst some of our supporters today. 

The vitriolic abuse aimed at Banks from the first minute was a disgrace, whatever your opinion of him. I’m not his biggest fan myself, but he did little wrong in that first half, and wasn’t the worst of a very poor bunch in the second. Not that these people need any excuse to scream obscenities in his direction for the entirety of the match.

Edited by dec666

10 minutes ago, dec666 said:

Not for the first time, I was ashamed to be sat amongst some of our supporters today. 

The vitriolic abuse aimed at Banks from the first minute was a disgrace, what ever your opinion of him. I’m not his biggest fan myself, but he did little wrong in that first half, and wasn’t the worst of a very poor bunch in the second. Not that these people need any excuse to scream obscenities in his direction for the entirety of the match.

If you go to a game and abuse your own players you need your head testing, I'm not aware of any man whose better at their job whilst receiving dogs abuse, by all means boo a team off at full time if your disgruntled but abusing your own players throughout a game is just wrong.

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Just home and settled for tea after a journey in oafcmetty's electric car, which we needed to stop to charge on the way home (that's a different fucking story!)

The game - I was surprised to read comments on Twitter at half time saying that we were playing well. I thought we were pretty poor in the 1st half, failed to get control in the middle and didn't create very much. We scored a very scrappy goal, but still had a lucky escape or two, notably when a corner bounced across our goal, four yards out, until Hunt cleared. The second half was an absolute disaster. We were dominated from 46-94 and, to be quite frank, if we had got anything from that game, it would have been a travesty. A mixture of poor finishing, a wonder save from Wilson, the woodwork and luck kept us in the game. They put every single corner on Wilson and he failed to deal with any of them. For the winning goal, Otzhumer started on the right hand side next to the taker. He then wandered away from Fane and ended up with a tap in at the far stick and wasn't tracked or picked up by anyone. I am no fan of Olly Banks, but I disagreed with some of the abuse he was getting today. Their number 7 had the freedom of the park almost every time he got the ball and, whilst Banks is part of the midfield that should have been closing him down, I counted 8 instances where Banks and Fane were both with men and Fawns was stood in no-mans land and should have closed him down. 

Atmosphere - As bad as I can remember for an opening away game. Nobody seemed up for it and there seemed to be a divide in the Athleticos section, with bickering going on over, I think, Banks.

Shez - His statement about needing 5 or 6 new players is bang on. It's something a few of us have said on here and Twitter before and been accused of being negative and "doom and gloomers". Pretty confident he'll get it sorted. He usually does...

Whilst I don't think the atmosphere was that bad, you do raise a fair point about the Athleticos and their choice of songs. There were games last season when they spent more time singing about each other than getting behind the team. I have no idea whether the prolonged Ollie Banks chants today were supposed to be ironic or if they were in response to stick he was getting from sections of the away end. Either way, it did nothing to enhance the atmosphere.

I am a big fan of the atmosphere improvements the Athleticos have brought and am genuinely amazed that we are attracting these kids to games despite the dross they have watched us play their whole lives. Keep getting behind the team, though lads. You should be improving the atmosphere, not trying to dominate it and make it about you.

23 minutes ago, dec666 said:

The vitriolic abuse aimed at Banks from the first minute was a disgrace, what ever your opinion of him. I’m not his biggest fan myself, but he did little wrong in that first half, and wasn’t the worst of a very poor bunch in the second. Not that these people need any excuse to scream obscenities in his direction for the entirety of the match.

+1

the atmosphere was toxic from the kick off. We are recruiting from the bargain basement these guys aren't premiership players and don't go out deliberately to play crap. They also have a uncertain existence ,no matter how much we may think they have the best job in the world.Abuse is not the answer,some of our fellow "supporters" need to show more respect.

5 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

He's signed Duffus, Davies and Hunt who'll all be on a decent salary....don't try and tell me there's been no money!

5 hours ago, JoeP said:

Yep, no one can say Corney hasn't backed his manager..

Oh the level at which we class as “backing the manager” these days ????

44 minutes ago, dec666 said:

I likened Banks to Richard Butcher the other day. While being no fan of either, abuse should not be given during a match. Pub afterwards or on here is fair game. Directly at them during a game is as unhelpful as a manager publicly chastising players he needs to perform to get him out of a hole. 

7 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Oh the level at which we class as “backing the manager” these days ????

Finance has been put in place for five new contracts, six new signings and a loan.  That seems pretty fair to me.

Of course we could do with "five or six new players" - which club, especially at our level, couldn't?  But I don't think it's on to be using that as an excuse for poor performances at this early stage.  Shez has been allowed to keep the players that performed well for him last season and strengthened.  If Shez suddenly can't get them performing then it's something he's doing wrong and nothing to do with lack of funding.

26 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Where did Fawns play and how did he do? 

Central midfield, in a 3 with Banks and Fane. 

Did alright, bit nervy at the start, but grew into it. A few nice touches and passes. He played a bad pass across the pitch to Dummigan, which Dummigan made a massive hash of and eventually led to their first. 

So all in all, comfortably our best midfielder...

Having said that, Banks' pass for our goal was sublime. 

Edited by josh_latics

18 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

There's no way 5 or 6 players will be coming in without shipping a few out.

3 weeks to sign half a team....slightly easier than what we had to do last

season I suppose!

Can see Mcglauglin being sacrificed now to raise the funds.

Hes one of the only players who has done anything this season. One of the only attacking minded players who has a go at running at opposition etc.

Suicide to sell him IMO.

On 12/8/2017 at 11:33 PM, ShireBlue said:

Davies and Holloway were playing so far apart from each other they were almost in different postcodes.

Banks passed the ball around well. The three blokes trying to get "Get the twat off" into song format was cringeworthy of the highest order.

As a whole though, we've a lot of work to do. Looking forward to seeing Gardner though.

Banks ball to Mclaughlin for the goal was excellent. Also spread a few others, but still not good enough for a team wanting to go up the division. And dont get me started on fans favourites Fane and Gerrard. Absolutely diabolical those 2.

On 2017-8-12 at 9:00 PM, Lee Sinnott said:

A mixture of poor finishing, a wonder save from Wilson, the woodwork and luck kept us in the game. 

There has never been an occasion in the entire history of the game where the woodwork keeps a side in the game. If a shot hits it then it missed its target. 

On 13/08/2017 at 7:36 AM, JoeP said:

Finance has been put in place for five new contracts, six new signings and a loan.  That seems pretty fair to me.

Of course we could do with "five or six new players" - which club, especially at our level, couldn't?  But I don't think it's on to be using that as an excuse for poor performances at this early stage.  Shez has been allowed to keep the players that performed well for him last season and strengthened.  If Shez suddenly can't get them performing then it's something he's doing wrong and nothing to do with lack of funding.

We've signed 250 players since 2008.

So yes, Corney has backed his managers. I think the quality has been questionable not the quanity, but some of that is down toquestionable choices in manager too.

Who knows if Shez was able to get any of his first choice.

I'm starting to wonder if Ben Wilson was not Shez's only other option than Ripley, which would be careless.

6 hours ago, singe said:

We've signed 250 players since 2008.

So yes, Corney has backed his managers. I think the quality has been questionable not the quanity, but some of that is down toquestionable choices in manager too.

Who knows if Shez was able to get any of his first choice.

I'm starting to wonder if Ben Wilson was not Shez's only other option than Ripley, which would be careless.

Signing 250 players doesn't mean managers have been backed.