Corney on Investment

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mikejh45 said:

But how many times have you heard Corney talk about serious investment interest?

Generally, the non-stories have emanated from fans who've seen someone sat with Corney in the stand who, jokingly, is the owner of the OAFC official Chinese takeaway partner who is now elevated to a serious Chinese investor on the evidence of "I saw Corney talking to a Chinese bloke in a suit so it must be true".

Because this story has come from Corney himself there must be some legs otherwise he is opening himself to further ridicule and alienating an already dwindling group of hardcore fans. 

maybe not serious club investment directly, I remember him fanning the Koukash discussions a fair bit and he also exaggerated the long term benefits of the sports direct deal and new stand. 

I still think he is referring to investments as opposed to a buy out as he references 'not getting into bed with anybody' which is a term used for partnership deals. 

1 minute ago, OldhamSheridan said:

Isn't Gillingham the ace one for this? Covers about a million and a half people in Kent with only London clubs about an hour away at best.

....if you like.... the point has been made.... there are clubs at our level with a better potential catchment than ours (laregley due to intense competition in our case, not necessarily a lack of population) sadly.

7 minutes ago, Blue_Guru said:

maybe not serious club investment directly, I remember him fanning the Koukash discussions a fair bit and he also exaggerated the long term benefits of the sports direct deal and new stand. 

I still think he is referring to investments as opposed to a buy out as he references 'not getting into bed with anybody' which is a term used for partnership deals. 

But we know from both Corney & Koukash that discussions did take place. As for the Sports Direct deal, the exaggeration is irrelevant,  it turned out to be reality.

Other people will have better memories than me on this subject (my solitary brain cell has the memory span of a gnat) but on how many occasions has Simon Corney ACTUALLY discussed serious takeover/investment bids in public?

52 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Lame. You got excited thinking you were the thought police but you were wrong. Now you look silly. Unlucky.

Never felt the need to use the ignore facility before but you're beyond the pale, which is an ironic idiom given the subject matter. Bye.

1 hour ago, OldhamSheridan said:

Isn't Gillingham the ace one for this? Covers about a million and a half people in Kent with only London clubs about an hour away at best.

Yep, that was in my list.

11 hours ago, singe said:

Interesting, depends on how you look at it,

Bristol Rovers already owner already multi millionaire owner, but f course competition with the riches of Bristol City owner.

The others, for me, lack the major conurbations surrounding them to draw in the crowds ie as a percentage of local area. Sure, they get a better percentage than us, but it's not a large enough catchment IMHO.
Somewhere like Doncaster which has 250,000 and other cities nearer and already a half decent stadium to cope.

Maybe Warrington, at the opposite end of the scale and building from scratch.
Or the South East, like Gillingham which has the 3 Medway Towns, plus Maidstone (or the other way round) and combined immediate area of 400,000  and no other League Clubs for a long way.

1 hour ago, Blue_Guru said:

The fact he mentions putting down a deposit though suggests ownership to me....

Just now, Nohairdontcare said:

It's that old devil called Hope again...

We're so worn down with it all most aren't even getting excited yet.

At most other clubs the meaning & possible benefits of "potential investment" or "potential takeover" are pretty clear cut.

With us it could mean all sorts of different things if it even happens at all... FFS :lol:

1 hour ago, mikejh45 said:

Other people will have better memories than me on this subject (my solitary brain cell has the memory span of a gnat) but on how many occasions has Simon Corney ACTUALLY discussed serious takeover/investment bids in public?

I don't think he has ever come out and volunteered information before. It's only been him responding to rumours/stories that have managed to gain a bit of traction beyond this message board and be reported in the Chron or other news outlets. And the stock line has been 'we're always talking to people and if/when there is anything concrete to tell the fans we'll let them know'.

As others have pointed out, nobody had a source on this one. He could have kept it quiet if he wanted to.

As good as our new social media guy is that was no Frost -Nixon interview. It took place because Corney wanted it to and he asked the questions that Corney wanted to answer. If it was a journalist doing that interview they'd probably have explored other issues too and have asked, for example, why French news outlets were reporting that a goalkeeper had signed a 2 year deal with us and said keeper's agent  was posting pictures of him in Latics training gear captioned 'Deal Done'.

14 minutes ago, bozman said:

I don't think he has ever come out and volunteered information before. It's only been him responding to rumours/stories that have managed to gain a bit of traction beyond this message board and be reported in the Chron or other news outlets. And the stock line has been 'we're always talking to people and if/when there is anything concrete to tell the fans we'll let them know'.

As others have pointed out, nobody had a source on this one. He could have kept it quiet if he wanted to.

As good as our new social media guy is that was no Frost -Nixon interview. It took place because Corney wanted it to and he asked the questions that Corney wanted to answer. If it was a journalist doing that interview they'd probably have explored other issues too and have asked, for example, why French news outlets were reporting that a goalkeeper had signed a 2 year deal with us and said keeper's agent  was posting pictures of him in Latics training gear captioned 'Deal Done'.

I suspect the keeper is waiting for international clearance.

25 minutes ago, bozman said:

100% this. It's practically unheard of  that any information is revelaed first by SC, and as you say, almost always because that info was revealled prematurely. Inevitably leading to loss of deal. It is still a surpise news of this has not leaked.
To be fair neither Sam or Matt Chambers are going to be after the jugular as both rely on Sc and the club for their work. Matt would only turn investigative if he was constantly frozen out, nothing to lose.

Early days to be getting excited though. Just hopeful.

http://sport2jlt.com/team

Abdallah Lemsagam

CEO

Abdallah Lemsagam is an official licensed FIFA agent. Abdallah established the company and is a real football aficionado. As a football professional he brings with him a wealth of experience and unrivalled contacts, including with decision makers. He has proved himself to be a great sportsmen representative by sealing numerous player transfers with various football clubs. He has the ability to understand what kind of skill a club is in need of and he is well-known to have a sharp eye for talented and compatible players. Abdallah speaks fluent German, English, French, Italian and Arabic.

Get the feeling he'll want to play football manager with us if it goes through

25 minutes ago, CD's Orange Heels said:

It's the yearly Corney smokescreen. It's the one thing he's good at. When things aren't going well he gives the fans something to talk / moan about taking the focus of the crap on the pitch. Never going to happen.  He's had to bring it out much earlier than usual this year. 

Got a feeling your not far off their pal