Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See Bury are in the process of creating a ‘Bury Heritage’ which will result in the ground, land and all history and belongings will be owned by the Heritage and ring fenced so no matter who owns the club they can’t mess them around like the amigos have done with us. 

3 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

See Bury are in the process of creating a ‘Bury Heritage’ which will result in the ground, land and all history and belongings will be owned to the Heritage so no matter who owns the club they can’t mess them around like the amigos have done with us. 

Who owns it now? 

36 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

See Bury are in the process of creating a ‘Bury Heritage’ which will result in the ground, land and all history and belongings will be owned by the Heritage and ring fenced so no matter who owns the club they can’t mess them around like the amigos have done with us. 

I thought they had plans for a new stadium away from Gigg lane. 

I am unsure if we the only EFL club in this unique situation.

We have an owner of the football club, we have a seperate landlord. Two different business adventures. on one site

Does having both together under one umbrella (i won't say one owner as I believe we need more than one), make us a better business proposition? The complete/whole package so to speak?

There are fan owned clubs out there and fans/businesses who want to "buy in" to their club. (See Supporters Direct website). I am going to throw this wildly out there and to test the water.

Q) If the opportunity came up. What would make you invest as a fan (fundraising maybe) or if you are a business person, into professional football in the borough of Oldham?

A) Shares in the club only

b ) Shares in the land only

c) Both if they were one package

Cheers

Edit: additional part. Hypothetical like....if one of the two came up, which one would be the better business proposition?

The set up as it stands at BP should be against the laws. Splitting the club and inventing brassbank was one of the very first things TTAsset strippers did and instantly set me against them. At the time l was surprised it was even allowed and now l can see why a young me was so outspoken on the issue.

Stunned AL even bought us, absolute mad man.

42 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

The set up as it stands at BP should be against the laws. Splitting the club and inventing brassbank was one of the very first things TTAsset strippers did and instantly set me against them. At the time l was surprised it was even allowed and now l can see why a young me was so outspoken on the issue.

Stunned AL even bought us, absolute mad man.

I agree, the decision to buy the football club in the present arrangement looks plain crazy and AL’s sanity should be questioned but we don’t really know all the facts do we? 

There may some sort of a deal in place for AL to purchase the land and stand at a later date, maybe at a set price.

It may be that it has always been AL’s intention to move the club away from BP 

which would allow Blitz & Gazal to develop the site for housing etc?

Granted, It would need huge investment, but AL could already have that in place.

The thing is...we really don’t know do we?

40 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I agree, the decision to buy the football club in the present arrangement looks plain crazy and AL’s sanity should be questioned but we don’t really know all the facts do we? 

There may some sort of a deal in place for AL to purchase the land and stand at a later date, maybe at a set price.

It may be that it has always been AL’s intention to move the club away from BP 

which would allow Blitz & Gazal to develop the site for housing etc?

Granted, It would need huge investment, but AL could already have that in place.

The thing is...we really don’t know do we?

People own clubs without owning the land/ground, it’s not unusual. 

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Raise 10 million and the whole lot is yours...

your probably not wide of the mark there...the whole package that is.

But if one came up, which one of the two would be better investment?...hypothetical that is

10 minutes ago, underdog said:

your probably not wide of the mark there...the whole package that is.

But if one came up, which one of the two would be better investment?...hypothetical that is

I guess the better investment would be the land. The club could then buy it back at sometime in the future when it's in a better position than it is now, and it would be secure..

I'm not sure a stake in a lower league club can ever really be an investment. How many L1/L2 clubs have made a profit 4 years on the trot? Not many I would guess.

I think you could make a paper case for chucking in a fortune to move up the leagues and cash out when you hit the Premier but that looks more like a gamble than an investment.

At our level, if we take ALs £200k a month claim at face value then it looks like £10 million down and £2.4 million a year recurring expense. That's an expensive hobby not an investment.

Given the opaque nature of the ownership and allocation of revenue streams you'd have to be loaded and/or mad to invest.

If 'everything' was a single entity- so absolute clarity on ownership, revenue streams and expenses you'd still have to really really want to back a club. maybe that £2.4 mill a year might be a bit more or less if you could make non match day revenues etc but it would still be a bit rich for most of us.

I don't understand why there isn't more done with the North stand.- whoever owns it- it could do more for a bit more spend.

18 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

I'm not sure a stake in a lower league club can ever really be an investment. How many L1/L2 clubs have made a profit 4 years on the trot? Not many I would guess.

I think you could make a paper case for chucking in a fortune to move up the leagues and cash out when you hit the Premier but that looks more like a gamble than an investment.

At our level, if we take ALs £200k a month claim at face value then it looks like £10 million down and £2.4 million a year recurring expense. That's an expensive hobby not an investment.

Given the opaque nature of the ownership and allocation of revenue streams you'd have to be loaded and/or mad to invest.

If 'everything' was a single entity- so absolute clarity on ownership, revenue streams and expenses you'd still have to really really want to back a club. maybe that £2.4 mill a year might be a bit more or less if you could make non match day revenues etc but it would still be a bit rich for most of us.

I don't understand why there isn't more done with the North stand.- whoever owns it- it could do more for a bit more spend.

Re North stand....hypothetical like and with the recent GM Spartial framework back on the agenda and a need for housing, a change to the landlords business adventure? 

Housing. Would now be the time to look at pushing the housing build as much as you can around BP. Especially, if you had previous planning permission?

Hypothetical like...

1 hour ago, jorvik_latic said:

People own clubs without owning the land/ground, it’s not unusual. 

True but I wonder what percentage of those the Council / other local authority own the land/ground?

Think our situation where the ground / land is owned by another corporation is very rare and possibly unique.

5 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

True but I wonder what percentage of those the Council / other local authority own the land/ground?

Think our situation where the ground / land is owned by another corporation is very rare and possibly unique.

I think the Ricoh owned by a third party? 

8 hours ago, underdog said:

I am unsure if we the only EFL club in this unique situation.

We have an owner of the football club, we have a seperate landlord. Two different business adventures. on one site

Does having both together under one umbrella (i won't say one owner as I believe we need more than one), make us a better business proposition? The complete/whole package so to speak?

There are fan owned clubs out there and fans/businesses who want to "buy in" to their club. (See Supporters Direct website). I am going to throw this wildly out there and to test the water.

Q) If the opportunity came up. What would make you invest as a fan (fundraising maybe) or if you are a business person, into professional football in the borough of Oldham?

A) Shares in the club only

b ) Shares in the land only

c) Both if they were one package

Cheers

Edit: additional part. Hypothetical like....if one of the two came up, which one would be the better business proposition?

Ideally C but if not available then B, no value in football club shares on their own unless you know of a sheikh willing to plough billons in! 

23 hours ago, rudemedic said:

West Ham?

On 1/12/2019 at 1:25 PM, rudemedic said:

on supporters Direct....AFC Telford.  Born from liquidation. The council were determined to keep a football club within the borough. The council took over the freehold of the ground re-negotiated with the bank that had taken over in liquidation and bought the stadium back. So the council owned the stadium, ground and surrounding land.

So it can happen, now if only our land was for sale hypothetically like....(well everythings for sale so they say)....would you as a fan/business/council help to buy the land BP sits on? 

Archived