Ex players and that

6 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

You get paid obscene amounts of money

You are picked to play for your country 

Surely it’s not much to ask that you put in some effort?

My problem with England is that they are afraid to play  - and that’s down to the coaching staff I reckon.

Didn't watch it.  My international interest is restricted to tournaments

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Don't blame him.  It's ridiculous to be playing this many internationals at this time of year

Rubbish, they dont know what work is, ask double shift NHS frontline staff on a fraction of what they get for a 90 minutes game.

21 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Rubbish, they dont know what work is, ask double shift NHS frontline staff on a fraction of what they get for a 90 minutes game.

My partner has done 40 years nursing. But the comparison is of zero relevance. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

My partner has done 40 years nursing. But the comparison is of zero relevance. 

It's obscene the money players are on in comparison, but I'm old school when players were on maximum wage and earned it.

I've no time for 'tired' footballers, they get plenty of rest in between games.

Edited by BP1960

48 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It's obscene the money players are on in comparison, but I'm old school when players were on maximum wage and earned it.

It's very simple. Do you want to see the best players there are produce their best play regularly over the long term? 

15 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Maximum Wage was abolished in 1961 .

Not all players received even that. It was despicable exploitation of working men. 

Whether top players today “deserve” enormous wages is completely different . 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Maximum Wage was abolished in 1961 .

Not all players received even that. It was despicable exploitation of working men. 

Whether top players today “deserve” enormous wages is completely different . 

Absolutely - to hark back to those circumstances as some sort of golden age is rose tinted glasses on a scale of many. many times

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 1:32 PM, Dave_Og said:

Didn't watch it.  My international interest is restricted to tournaments

The Nations League is a tournament and at the moment given the group we are in a pretty serious one.

I've been a fan of Southgate but regardless of what I accept was the manic scheduling of 4 games in 10 days at the end of the season, he has handled these fixtures badly. Nine changes for a must-win home game v Hungary, yet still no place for Grealish, who is one of our few players who can unlock a defence, as he showed in the 20 or so minutes he was allowed v Germany. How on earth does Bowen get in ahead of him? Why put Reece James, whose left foot appears to be largely for standing on, at left back? Really poor tactics and selection.

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

The Nations League is a tournament and at the moment given the group we are in a pretty serious one.

I've been a fan of Southgate but regardless of what I accept was the manic scheduling of 4 games in 10 days at the end of the season, he has handled these fixtures badly. Nine changes for a must-win home game v Hungary, yet still no place for Grealish, who is one of our few players who can unlock a defence, as he showed in the 20 or so minutes he was allowed v Germany. How on earth does Bowen get in ahead of him? Why put Reece James, whose left foot appears to be largely for standing on, at left back? Really poor tactics and selection.

There's no avoiding that its a world cup warm up.  More by circumstance than design I didn't watch any of it although having said that I haven't watched any football at all since we went down.  Whether the interest will return is far from certain.

World cup semi final, European championship final. Before that not got past the quarters in anything since 1966. He's earned the right to go for another tournament.

Edit - That should be 1996 of course, not 1966. I didn't forget at all about 1990 and 1996 😬

Edited by nzlatic

22 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

World cup semi final, European championship final. Before that not got past the quarters in anything since 1966. He's earned the right to go for another tournament.

But it's shit to watch, arguably bottled it in the final when we went 1-0 up and spends too much time trying to preach to everyone and getting involved in politics, your right about earning the right but I'd like to see someone like Potter or Howe given a go.

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

spends too much time trying to preach to everyone and getting involved in politics

What on earth has that got to do with anything?

On the football, which is all that should matter, we bottled it in the world cup semi but then went one step further next time out. I'd like to see more attacking play but when I look at that central defence I can see why he tends to be more cautious. He's not perfect and not beyond criticism but he's transformed the England team. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

But it's shit to watch, arguably bottled it in the final when we went 1-0 up and spends too much time trying to preach to everyone and getting involved in politics, your right about earning the right but I'd like to see someone like Potter or Howe given a go.

I'm ignoring the politics comment.

Potter - OK reasonable linking him to the England job.

Howe- Massively overrated by anyone linking him to the England job. He's good when he had money to spend, which is most of his time at Bournemouth who overspent and got lucky to get promoted to the PL. Then when in the PL he overspent on dross from Liverpool's and Chelsea's reserves and quit before he was relegated.

Yes he did well in 5 months at Newcastle and I expect him to continue that run because he has money to spend. 

The FA should try to get the best manager they can for the England job, Eddie Howe isn't that manager.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I'm ignoring the politics comment.

Potter - OK reasonable linking him to the England job.

Howe- Massively overrated by anyone linking him to the England job. He's good when he had money to spend, which is most of his time at Bournemouth who overspent and got lucky to get promoted to the PL. Then when in the PL he overspent on dross from Liverpool's and Chelsea's reserves and quit before he was relegated.

Yes he did well in 5 months at Newcastle and I expect him to continue that run because he has money to spend. 

The FA should try to get the best manager they can for the England job, Eddie Howe isn't that manager.

I personally think Howe will come unstuck next year once he has the money not too dissimilar to Royle (yes an FA Cup with Everton) but he's always been best as an underdog manager polishing jewels rather than spending mad amounts 

Edited by Chaddyexile84

10 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I personally think Howe will come unstuck next year once he has the money not too dissimilar to Royle (yes an FA Cup with Everton) but he's always been best as an underdog manager polishing jewels rather than spending mad amounts 

The hierarchy at Newcastle will get rid of Howe as soon as they lose 4 on the bounce, he did a job for them last season, but they will want a Mourinho type in there. 

• Like 1

As it stands, the next manager would be Lampard or Gerrard. Potter is a sensible choice, and I think Cooper is a really good manager, but I think the FA would go for a higher profile figure. Of course, it'll all be different in 12 months (or less if we have a bad World Cup, which looks likely at the moment).

Then again, the FA thought it was a good idea to give the job to Sam Allardyce, so maybe Sean Dyce should start polishing his cv.

4 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Edit - That should be 1996 of course, not 1966. I didn't forget at all about 1990 and 1996 😬

He probably has results wise, although he has had unbelievably lucky draws, and does have the most talented squad of players in my memory at his disposal.

It doesn't cover over the cracks in his tactical and coaching ability though.

We are 4 months from a WC and he doesn't know his best shape or who his starting 11 is. 

He has no vision, is a zero risk taker, doesn't have a winning mentality and seems to ignore and punish and the likes of Grielish, Madison, and Foden regularly.

But he's a nice bloke apparently so crack on! Nailed on we lose in the QFs on pens after drawing 0 0 with someone like Denmark.

• Like 2