Ex players and that

26 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

You mean like Wigan, Blackburn, Kilmarnock and us who all shipped him off-the lad has had umpteen opportunities and blown it every time thus far.

If a player is going to blow his career then so be it.  At the end of the day it's their loss more than ours.  But in the last few years (during the end of Corney's tenure and so far during Marco's reign) we've given players like Byrne plenty of reasons to fail.  We shouldn't be giving them the world but we should at least do the basics (i.e. pay them on time) so they at least have a chance to settle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

An interesting read.  It's not both sides of the story I'm sure and he didn't come across as the best character to have in the squad, but we need to offer an environment that allows talented but flawed players to perform to their best, or else we're not going to attract players to the club who are good enough to help us progress.

I can't feel confident that the club is going to do this with Marco in charge.

Personally speaking, I think we've tried the talented but flawed project  for too long. Our turnover of players is far too high for over a decade now. I'd rather we concentrate on a bit of quality for a time.. We might just get promotion and more a chance of staying together.

2 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

You mean like Wigan, Blackburn, Kilmarnock and us who all shipped him off-the lad has had umpteen opportunities and blown it every time thus far.

FFS wind it in with this bollocks. None of those clubs, other than us, offloaded him because he was a ‘bad egg’.

Edited by Ryan

48 minutes ago, Ryan said:

FFS wind it in with this bollocks. None of those clubs, other than us, offloaded him because he was a ‘bad egg’.

We don't really know though do we ?

The evidence is that none of his clubs thought enough of his undoubted talent to persevere with or ignore his antics.

51 minutes ago, Ryan said:

So it was down to a lack of talent?

Edited by LaticsPete

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

Well that's wrong because he burnt his bridges with the normally mild mannered Paul Cook at Wigan very early on who didn't want him anywhere near the first team squad because he was a bad egg.

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Well that's wrong because he burnt his bridges with the normally mild mannered Paul Cook at Wigan very early on who didn't want him anywhere near the first team squad because he was a bad egg.

Or Paul Cook didn't rate him as he already had a far superior player in the same sort of position. Byrne didn't fit into the 4-4-2 that Wellens played. As such he was often a square peg in a round hole. He drifted in and out of games as a result. 

I've never seen Paul Cook described as mild mannered. In fact I remember him when he managed Chesterfield and I was worried for his health because of his touchline antics.

Byrne was signed by the previous manager and he wasn't the only player to be banished to Wigan's reserves by Cook. A lot were signed by the previous manager who lasted about 4 weeks more. That sort of thing happens in football. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Or Paul Cook didn't rate him as he already had a far superior player in the same sort of position. Byrne didn't fit into the 4-4-2 that Wellens played. As such he was often a square peg in a round hole. He drifted in and out of games as a result. 

I've never seen Paul Cook described as mild mannered. In fact I remember him when he managed Chesterfield and I was worried for his health because of his touchline antics.

Byrne was signed by the previous manager and he wasn't the only player to be banished to Wigan's reserves by Cook. A lot were signed by the previous manager who lasted about 4 weeks more. That sort of thing happens in football. 

He had an attitude problem at Wigan, that’s why they let him go. 

11 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

9 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Well that’s just wrong isn’t it. 

Please provide me with proof of Paul Cook, or any of the gaffers of the aforementioned clubs, criticising Jack’s attitude. Just one piece of evidence.

13 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

So it was down to a lack of talent?

Compared to the midfielders Wigan have/had in Powell, Jacobs and Max Power, yes. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a superb player at league one level.

On 5/25/2019 at 2:20 AM, Ryan said:

Please provide me with proof of Paul Cook, or any of the gaffers of the aforementioned clubs, criticising Jack’s attitude. Just one piece of evidence.

Compared to the midfielders Wigan have/had in Powell, Jacobs and Max Power, yes. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a superb player at league one level.

In 3 years since joining Blackburn he has made 59 appearances across 5 clubs (42 of them for us!!) and is currently at Shamrock Rovers.....tells you everything you need to know about his attitude because his talent is unquestioned.

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

In 3 years since joining Blackburn he has made 59 appearances across 5 clubs (42 of them for us!!) and is currently at Shamrock Rovers.....tells you everything you need to know about his attitude because his talent is unquestioned.

Does it? Like I’ve already said, I’d like some #Proof.

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Why do you think he has been unable to establish himself at a succession of clubs? 

Not good enough for City or Wigan and precarious living conditions whilst at Kilmarnock meant he took a step down to go back home where he’d be comfortable and able to enjoy his football.

Plenty of lads with brilliant attitudes go through umpteen clubs. It’s ridiculous to suggest that the number of clubs a footballer has played for is in anyway linked to attitude.

It will be for some players, obviously. But as a general rule? Nah.