Blackburn

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, League one forever said:

One bad call from Shez over the summer was giving Green another year.  I would of said goodbye. 

In one of his interviews Wellens said he was a big miss because he was good at orgaising on the pitch and carrying out instructions. But he also said he was still a long way off returning. I don't think his injury has ever been disclosed other than it being some sort of achilles problem.

1 minute ago, bozman said:

In one of his interviews Wellens said he was a big miss because he was good at orgaising on the pitch and carrying out instructions. But he also said he was still a long way off returning. I don't think his injury has ever been disclosed other than it being some sort of achilles problem.

Fair enough. I’m saying this with zero knowledge of his wage. If he’s cheap, then I can see the reasoning. Squad player/Good voice. I was assuming as a senior player he would be on a fairly decent whack. Which when you bear in mind how many times he went missing last year, and his age could of been better spent elsewhere. 

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Fair enough. I’m saying this with zero knowledge of his wage. If he’s cheap, then I can see the reasoning. Squad player/Good voice. I was assuming as a senior player he would be on a fairly decent whack. Which when you bear in mind how many times he went missing last year, and his age could of been better spent elsewhere. 

His main downfall is his inability to find a blue shirt, his passing has to be seen to be believed, not a patch on the player he was four or five years ago and a liability at times.

Edited by yarddog73

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

His main downfall is his inability to find a blue shirt, his passing has to be seen to be believed, not a patch on the player he was four or five years ago and a liability at times.

TBF he did a lot of hard running and gave 100%, he'd be good cover in the Fane role just keeping it simple.

If you fancy a laugh go and have a read of the Burnley fans comments on the match report and articles about Saturday's game on the Lancashire Telegraph site.

One of my favourties:

"The thing is you arrogant 2hats have been found out .you were all spouting about how you were going to storm league 1 and come straight back to the Chumpionship " your words not mine "some of you halfwits thought you were going to go the season unbeaten lol .The infamous ewood park ejection seat is primed and ready for mowbray the messiah,if the mighty Plymouth turn you over tommorrow. Even the Oldham fans were ripping the pi55 out of your clueless classless laughing stock of a club .IN VENKYS WE TRUST"

Edited by bozman
typo

1 hour ago, bozman said:

There is an interview with Fane on the OS in which he is very complimentary about Wellens. He says he is a "very very very very good coach".

Asked what he has changed, he said he has given them more confidence, saying several times that they now play without fear. He said he doesn't shout at them when they make a mistake and just encourages them to forget about it and keep playing. He also said that Wellens is very well prepared with regard to the opposition's strengths and weaknesses.

I think it's well know that Shez enjoyed giving out a rollocking from the touchline and may be didn't focus too much on the opposition.

In his own interview, Wellens is similarly complimentary about Fane, saying that the work he does is the reason that Byrne and Gardner can do what they do. Gives him a few other compliments too. He certainly doesnt come across as someone who doesn't rate him, as some here have suggested.

Wellens doesn't have to shout at players when they have been poor etc. He has a cracking evil look, that will work for all players. However, the shouting approach from Shez might not work for all players- Fane perhaps being a good example.

Fane is not going to say his manager is crap, either. 

The preparation thing is something that Shez perhaps delegated to Wellens, but Wellens hasn't delegated it to someone else. That's always going to look favourable.

8 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

The good thing is that if our pitch does cut up again Gerrard works because he is dominant in the air. Him and Clarke are only ever in trouble when pitches are like bowling greens and the ball gets played in behind them.

Gevaro can certainly whip a ball in, i’ve noticed he does get tackled easily however he does get into the box whenever possible and he did play an international match and travel halfway round the world.

Good point re the travelling. Also I doubt whether, unlike the "Premier" League internationals, he travels first class when representing his country.

5 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Brought a lot of garbage players back? Who? Davies? Hunt? Or playing the ones who kept us up? He put his faith in one or two that have cost him and when he finally got in players he actually wanted (Byrne, Bryan etc) he was able to start replacing them in the side. Results and performances were vastly improving.

Dithering around getting a GK? I agree he waited too long to get Ripley in but it isn't as black and white as you would love it to sound. Corney would've wanted Ripley as much as Shez for sell-on value. When the game was up, there was still a week or two before a GK arrived. Shez's fault they didn't? Or Corneys for not giving the funds there for Ripley for Shez to get another keeper? Of course, you seem to have the knife squarely out for Shez so your answer is already known. Whereas only 1 man knew that Abdallah was in the background waiting to put his players on the club. No wonder Simon wasn't giving Shez any funds with these freebies set to arrive. Of course Shez was hand-tied...but nah, you've got it in for Shez.

As for Wilson and Ruddy...again, Shez got what he could with what little he had. I guess you and every other smart arse Oldham fan must watch a lot of Haitian international football to know Placide was the answer. Oh and claiming he was "given class foreign players" really does show you up. Not a single one of them was known to you, I or anybody related to Latics so how on earth would you or anybody know in August they were class? They weren't fit (some still aren't!) and one or two had been turned away from other clubs. Had Shez stuck them in and been awful you would've slagged him off for that too.

The whole situation suits the agenda of someone who had it in for Shez. Well done! Claiming he wasn't hand-tied is absurd. Unless it is someone who enjoyed his demise, as some seem to be doing. Strange folk.

Hear hear. I don't normally like to see Latics fans tearing lumps out of each other but this is one of the best correctives and handing-your-arse-back-to-you posts I've seen. Good for you bb80.

2 hours ago, we hate man,u and city to said:

He is, people boo him when he comes on. Maybe hates a bit strong but, still it's pathetic the abuse he gets. I thought it was a great comparison, truly shows how ridiculous some of our fans can be. 

Firstly I must point out that I don't like Banks as a player, and we have better options, but I do think he is directly suffering from lack of confidence caused by the fans reaction to him, yes he rarely tackles and doesn't offer any defence qualities at all, fails to track back effectively without looking like a liability, but he can ( sometimes ) create a telling pass. I feel sorry for the lad, no one goes onto the field to look a complete arse. We are Latics and we must have a boo boy, we always have had one and always will....

2 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Fane is not going to say his manager is crap, either. 

Of course he's not, but you should probably watch the interview. His English isn't great but it's not just the usual footballer speak where a player rolls out bland platitudes about the guy  who picks the team.

4 hours ago, Smiler13 said:

The major things Wellens did when he took charge was 1) Change the goal keeper. 2) Take Gerrard out of the back line and replace him with Bryan which is Bryan's favourite position. 3) Study the opposition by watching them play in at least 3 games and also watching a game they have won and one that they have lost. 4) Play Fane in his most effective position. 5) Drop Banks. 6) Instill confidence into the team through the spine of the team.

i agree with you that Shez was unlucky in some results such as Fleetwood . However you have confirmed with what I said about him being a bad man manager when you mention the incident with Lee Hughes. He lost the dressing room then like he has done again now and there I rest my case he's lost the plot.

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

The final straw was the capitulation at Rotherham - maybe that's what convinced SC that it was time for change.

I would also add to your list

7) play a pressing game 

8) play with high tempo

9) be ready to go from the first minute

BB80-if you still think Sheridan was the man for the job after these posts then you need your bumps feeling. As for 'hands tied' it suits your take on the situation-he still had plenty of time to get a goalie in.

No more excuses for the bloke-he just wasn't up to the job as current evidence is exposing. As for club politics being an excuse-pathetic.

45 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

BB80-if you still think Sheridan was the man for the job after these posts then you need your bumps feeling. As for 'hands tied' it suits your take on the situation-he still had plenty of time to get a goalie in.

No more excuses for the bloke-he just wasn't up to the job as current evidence is exposing. As for club politics being an excuse-pathetic.

"These posts".

Hang on a minute. Before history gets completely re-written: (1) The Hughes incident was years ago and largely irrelevant to this season. If it is to count against Sheridan, why did Corney bring him back twice, and why did Sheridan save us from the drop twice? Scant evidence of lack of man-management there. (2) Capitulation at Rotherham? 1-1 away to a decent side with 20 minutes to go. Final result yes a shocker. But I seem to remember a guy who went on to be the most successful club manager of all time not far from BP suffering a similar fate. Was he sacked? Was he "lacking in man management"?

What's happened has happened and we all need to move on. I really hope RW gets the job permanently, he deserves it. The fact that he's off to a flyer after a mere 4 games does not give anyone the right to traduce Sheridan as "losing the dressing room" or "lacking in man management". The man deserves more respect, and BB80's defence of him is as noble as it is justified. We will never know if Shez would have kept us up or not this season. What we do - or should - know is that he is and always will be a club legend.

13 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

"These posts".

Hang on a minute. Before history gets completely re-written: (1) The Hughes incident was years ago and largely irrelevant to this season. If it is to count against Sheridan, why did Corney bring him back twice, and why did Sheridan save us from the drop twice? Scant evidence of lack of man-management there. (2) Capitulation at Rotherham? 1-1 away to a decent side with 20 minutes to go. Final result yes a shocker. But I seem to remember a guy who went on to be the most successful club manager of all time not far from BP suffering a similar fate. Was he sacked? Was he "lacking in man management"?

What's happened has happened and we all need to move on. I really hope RW gets the job permanently, he deserves it. The fact that he's off to a flyer after a mere 4 games does not give anyone the right to traduce Sheridan as "losing the dressing room" or "lacking in man management". The man deserves more respect, and BB80's defence of him is as noble as it is justified. We will never know if Shez would have kept us up or not this season. What we do - or should - know is that he is and always will be a club legend.

I cant get passed these folk who don’t think Shez was hand-tied and undermined throughout August. Who refuse to see the improvement in performances & results (bar a blip at a promotion contenders) at during September. That’s before they start chucking in hindsight and hypotheticals. And ridiculous statements about the sheer class of these complete unknown foreigners that arrived. Completely unreasonable folk to “debate” with. 

PS He would’ve kept us up. He admitted after Rotherham he was going to drop a few he’d shown loyalty too (clearly meant Gerrard at the time.) He never got the chance. Richie did. The rest is history. A shame some want to re-write it. 

Edited by boundaryblue80

8 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

"These posts".

Hang on a minute. Before history gets completely re-written: (2) Capitulation at Rotherham? 1-1 away to a decent side with 20 minutes to go. Final result yes a shocker. 

History will show that a team that was holding Rotherham to 1-1 with 20 minutes to go ended up losing 5-1.

Capitulation? I should say so. It wasn't just the final result that was a shocker, it was the way the team simply collapsed.

As I posted, that was probably the final straw for Corney. And it was.

5 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

That’s before they start chucking in hindsight and hypotheticals.

5 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

PS He would’ve kept us up.

Well if that's not hypothetical then what is?

There is nothing to rewrite-he was not good enough-the results and subsequent improvement prove it. Unarguable.

46 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

There is nothing to rewrite-he was not good enough-the results and subsequent improvement prove it. Unarguable.

Proof? 2 seasons of keeping us up with games to spare when in a massively worse situation is what’s unarguable :lol:

So 2 seasons where he clearly was good enough isn’t proof, but 4 games is? Like your logic ?

Sheridan made mistakes but the circus master more than contributed to the problems. If you want some hypothetical reasoning, I’ll give you some. corney has proved he’s a crap businessman over the years. That’s not going to change if we get new investment. If corney manages to stay on in some capacity he’ll continue to mess things up. It doesn’t matter who is manager or how much money gets thrown at it, he’ll balls things up. Sheridan made mistakes this season, but dragged us out of the shit not once but twice. It’s corney who keeps dropping us in it and he’ll do it again. 

48 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

In all honesty, giving a manager who has shown in the 3 spells at the club that he is clearly competent (even before talking about his past affliation with the club) 9 games to gel a squad that's been heavily chopped and changed is the thing that isn't good enough.  If it wasn't for the possible money and strategy that could come from the takeover then it would be hard to accept.  As well as Wellens has done so far, he's still unproven as it's only been 4 games.