Plymouth

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back home.  We started the first half with a 3-4-2-1 formation and I thought the 4 central players were neat and tidy on the ball and we controlled the ball in the middle of the park...pity about the rest of it.

Wilson and Gerrard are slow and Dummigan isn't strong enough to play centrally, but how we had 4 central midfielders and none of them offered protection to that flawed defence is a mystery.  We worked the ball well and got it into dangerous positions out wide, but the delivery (from McLaughlin and Nepomuceno in particular) was terrible.  Somehow with so many players in midfield, Davies still looked isolated.

2nd half started better due to going to 4-4-2 and we deserved a goal with the way we were playing, but to concede such a soft 3rd goal from a set piece was really frustrating.  Davies and Holloway had glorious chances, Holloway's especially was a sitter.  Doyle would've put them away no doubt.  Then they hit us with the 4th almost immediately and that was that.

Wellens was clearly restricted by missing key players, but he left us way too open and has to take the blame for the 1st half ahead of the players. 

However I love the way he has us playing.  Not a lot came off today but you can see why we have been scoring so many more goals than last season.  Placide and the defence regularly scared the life out of my dad but I love that we are able to build we from the back and through midfield.

If that was Byrne's worst game for us then lots of you have been treated to some crackers so far this season, he was clearly our most talented player out there today and never stops looking for the ball.  He has his negatives, there were a few misplaced passes and he showed his petulant side a few times, but we will be hard-pressed to find an equivalent replacement to him.

Flynn is really well suited to the way we play and did well in the second half, but he's simply too lightweight to play that central role unless he has additional support.  He did OK today but is definitely 4th choice at best behind the other 3 starters.  Gardner is neat, tidy and strong enough to deal with the physicality and Fane balances the midfield out as he breaks up play well, although neither were great today.

I thought Holloway offered a lot more today than Davies but Holloway's miss was terrible.  Both are useful in our squad but too similar to rely on without Doyle.  If Duffus, Obadeyi or Osei step up then great, but I'd guess that someone will need to be brought in instead.

In summary that was the polar opposite to the performances I saw from us last season, but as bad as we were as a defensive unit today and as much as I hate losing to Plymouth, I'd much rather watch us play that way compared to us being hopeless in attack.  Wellens certainly offers hope for the future even if he got it wrong today.  Gutted that I didn't get the chance to see Bryan and Doyle play as well.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

7 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

Both Ill

Several others too including Holloway  and Gardner (who managed to last 90 minutes and was given man of the match by the Latics radio commentators).

Doesn't auguer well travelling back on a long coach journey and a match on Tuesday.

Edited by BP1960

Piss poor defending.......ball watching and a static defence for all four!  I’ve lost count of the soft goals we’ve conceded lately.

Almost two goals per game at the halfway point In the season and already equal to last seasons total of 44!

If we get this investment then securing the loanees and the acquisition of a CB is an absolute priority.

2 hours ago, rosa said:

Visiting the hospital won't have made them ill, it's not like they had the kit washed at the laundry while they were there.

My ex would not approve of that remark - so I do :lol:   

But as she used to say, she got a job nearer Sheepfoot lane than me despite my dreams  :shy:

Good summary from the mighty bosh further up this page - although I thought Davies’s miss was the worst, all he had to do was put it either side of the keeper - 10 yards from goal with time and space and he hit it straight at him. We had those 2 chances at 3-1 and could’ve been back level but you did get the feeling that they were going to score every time they went forward...missed Bryan massively today!

For those going over the top moaning about yesterday (sure I saw the word refund mentioned on Twitter). It’s our choice if we go and watch/support the team. Having been a Latics fan for 40 years I go to games fully aware that we could possibly be shite, as someone said, for every away day like Plymouth there’s a Portsmouth, for every Crewe there’s a Chesterfield, without the lows the highs wouldn’t be as good. We’ve made good progress under Wellens and there’ll be plenty of good days to come. As the great man once said...keep the faith!

Edited by DerbyshireLatic

38 minutes ago, DerbyshireLatic said:

Good summary from the mighty bosh further up this page - although I thought Davies’s miss was the worst, all he had to do was put it either side of the keeper - 10 yards from goal with time and space and he hit it straight at him. We had those 2 chances at 3-1 and could’ve been back level but you did get the feeling that they were going to score every time they went forward...missed Bryan massively today!

For those going over the top moaning about yesterday (sure I saw the word refund mentioned on Twitter). It’s our choice if we go and watch/support the team. Having been a Latics fan for 40 years I go to games fully aware that we could possibly be shite, as someone said, for every away day like Plymouth there’s a Portsmouth, for every Crewe there’s a Chesterfield, without the lows the highs wouldn’t be as good. We’ve made good progress under Wellens and there’ll be plenty of good days to come. As the great man once said...keep the faith!

Edited by LaticsPete

26 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Really winds me up that 17hrs after the match I still can’t go on the official website and see what the manager has to say unless I pay money.

The monetisation of everything football is shite.

I hope 90 seconds from the BBC helps: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05rxjf5

13 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

So they fucking should be

Personally, I think they need a rest today, despite their poor performance yesterday. 90 minutes of football, plus 6 hours on a coach back from the game and a late night is likely to cause some fatigue. A rest would do them good.

And, by looking at it, it is more than just a light, recovery session...

40 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

They are in for training this morning...

10 minutes ago, Stagger Lee said:

Agree with you LS

Maybe a shit result like that if we played Rochdale or Bury then maybe but after such a long journey then this will truly backfire. Surely our new assistant manager is here to temper his sort of reaction to a poor performance?

It's the sort of thing Jewell would do, Wellens has obviously seen more than we have and I for one back him 100% if its what he thinks is required. 

Edited by yarddog73