11 minutes ago, Brisbaneblue said:

Doncaster who give him £6k a week ( a lot more than he got from us) and Shrewsbury who gave him £1.5k after he asked us for £1k a week and Corney offered £500! I’d fuck us off too and I’ve followed the team for 39 years

I don’t believe for 1 second that any senior pro has been offered 500 a week by corney 

47 minutes ago, Brisbaneblue said:

Doncaster who give him £6k a week ( a lot more than he got from us) and Shrewsbury who gave him £1.5k after he asked us for £1k a week and Corney offered £500! I’d fuck us off too and I’ve followed the team for 39 years

How the fuck are you privy to such confidential information ? Thanks In advance as  really interested to know how ?? 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

We fucked wellens off with regards to Shrewsbury. We offered him a contract for a year but withdrew it and offered him 6 months (or something similar, had a few drinks at the wellens night when he spoke about it). 

The first time to doncaster he sat down with corney and asked what ambitions was for the season after play offs and corney said there was nothing going into playing squad. And donny came in and offered him more money and better ambition. 

His words.

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

He’s a Yoonited fan who fucked us off twice as a player for the irresistible Doncaster and Shrewsbury...

I don't begrudge him trying to get more money for himself and family, he can sleep every night in United pyjamas under a Doncaster Rovers quilt as long as he keeps us up.

34 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

How the fuck are you privy to such confidential information ? Thanks In advance as  really interested to know how ?? 

Pretty sure it was on here and in the MEN at the time that we’d offered him £600-£650 a week till the end of the season. Wellens wanted a grand a week but Shrewsbury then came in and offered him more than double what we were and gave him an 18 month deal. A no brainer for a player in the twilight of his career. Incidentally Shrewsbury released him 6 months later.

Edited by johnafoafc

2 hours ago, laticsmarra said:

Come off your soap box 

what as wrong  with Ronnie Moore results wise. I have never thought we should not sack managers that aren't performing,but at some point the carousel has to stop. We have a manger managing amidst of a rotten start to the season,the legacy of years of the Corney regime  and a drawn out change of ownership. We have played some of the best football at times that I have seen since the Premiership, let's cut him  some slack to sort things out. 

Who is your suggested replacement ?

I was on my soap box there. Apologies. 

I totally agree about Ronnie Moore. I’ve said it a few times on the thread. He is the only standout, where looking back he shouldn’t of been sacked. The fans got him sacked, not the results.  He was a lower league sam allardyce.

Thing is, I just can’t for the life of me understand why as fans we should be bothered about how long a manager has been at the club. If he’s doing well, he stays. If we’re struggling, he comes under scrunity. Surely, that is only fair and rational? 

Why should the carousel stop, if they aren’t good enough? Otherwise we’re always hoping somebody might turn good while for 18 months we watch pretty average football. Shouldn’t we should be looking at better recruitment? How many applications do we get when the job comes up??? We always go cheap. Steve Evans was close, would of been a fantastic appointment, but it fell through. If AL has got a bit to throw at it, he’s the type I would want, or as somebody else said Graham Alexander. It’s no guarantee, but some pedigree would be nice. 

If he keeps us up and got sacked, I think he would feel hard done by. An to be fair, I can understand why. But I’m not arsed about sentiment, I just want better for us than settling for 17th. 

Edited by League one forever

3 hours ago, Twisbrogan said:

Hasn't the great start he had been undone somewhat by not maintaing it? I know people are pointing to other circumstances being to blame for the do in performances and form but I also think there was an element of us being 'found out' by opposing teams and we haven't been able to adapt to that. I think he's great value in interviews and would like him to turn in round but I'm not wholly confident even though the task in hand should be more than straightforward.

If we were to appoint a new manager today, I would expect him to be fired for failing to get enough points from these four games. If Wellens keeps us up then great and it might mean that he gets a crack for next season but some of the talk I've seen in places about him remaining as manager of we go down, baffles me.

I think the truth of the matter will be that the new owner will want his own guy in to follow through with whatever he has planned, regardless of where we finish.

Top post. 

You hit the nail on the head. 

He set the bar at the start.

We all thought, oh hello. . This looks very promising. An the truth is we’ve not come close to repeating it. 

37 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Where would we be if we'd given Robinson, Kelly and Dunn 4 years each to learn from their mistakes and benefit from stability? We'll never know, but I don't think it would be the Champions League.

Had Corney stood by that trio for the sake of stability there’s a good chance we’d be in league two now or even worse. I know he appointed some duffers but Corney did know when the time was right to pull the trigger. If he’d have stood by them and given them more time then fans would have protested, created a toxic atmosphere or simply voted with their feet.

I don’t recall people defending Robbo, Dunn, Kelly, Dickov, Penney etc and saying they should have been kept on for the sake of stability at the time of their dismissals.  I think most fans agreed that the game was up for them.

Hopefully Richie will keep us up and get chance to have a preseason with the squad and make some more signings of his own but the jury is still out for me.  Obviously survival is the most important aim for the club in the short term.

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

I totally agree about Ronnie Moore. I’ve said it a few times on the thread. He is the only standout, where looking back he shouldn’t of been sacked. The fans got him sacked, not the results.  He was a lower league sam allardyce.

Thing is, I just can’t for the life of me understand why as fans we should be bothered about how long a manager has been at the club. If he’s doing well, he stays. If we’re struggling, he comes under scrunity. Surely, that is only fair and rational? 

Why should the carousel stop, if they aren’t good enough? Otherwise we’re always hoping somebody might turn good while for 18 months we watch pretty average football. Shouldn’t we should be looking at better recruitment? How many applications do we get when the job comes up??? We always go cheap. Steve Evans was close, would of been a fantastic appointment, but it fell through. If AL has got a bit to throw at it, he’s the type I would want, or as somebody else said Graham Alexander. It’s no guarantee, but some pedigree would be nice. 

If he keeps us up and got sacked, I think he would feel hard done by. An to be fair, I can understand why. But I’m not arsed about sentiment, I just want better for us than settling for 17th. 

If you were a Peterborough fan you'd be after getting Evans out after the start he's made...

10 hours ago, League one forever said:

I'm coming round to the view that there are very few stand out managers, the chances are most are pretty similar. They go to the same school follow the same curriculum and all use a variety of the same systems. That is one reason why football has become more sterile over the years with teams cancelling one another out. 

I just can't see who at this point would be better than Wellens and therefore my vote goes for stability.

1 hour ago, laticsmarra said:

I'm coming round to the view that there are very few stand out managers, the chances are most are pretty similar. They go to the same school follow the same curriculum and all use a variety of the same systems. That is one reason why football has become more sterile over the years with teams cancelling one another out. 

I just can't see who at this point would be better than Wellens and therefore my vote goes for stability.

What's changed is in the olden days many were man managers, now it's more about coaches singing from the same hymn book who can't think for themselves. 

Don't think I've said that before have I? :unsure:

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

What's changed is in the olden days many were man managers, now it's more about coaches singing from the same hymn book who can't think for themselves. 

Don't think I've said that before have I? :unsure:

Still the same number of managers who are successful each season however. 

13 hours ago, leeslover said:

Where would we be if we'd given Robinson, Kelly and Dunn 4 years each to learn from their mistakes and benefit from stability? We'll never know, but I don't think it would be the Champions League.

Kelly would be nearing the end of his third season, so we’d be near the bottom of the National League, looking forward to playing Stockport and Alty next season, unless Stockport get promoted or Alty don’t 

3 hours ago, laticsmarra said:

After 21 seasons and 15 different managers in league 1 I've come to the conclusion that its not all the managers fault.

I've also come to the conclusion that people have selected memories about the past

50 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Still the same number of managers who are successful each season however. 

Who are these man managers rather than text book coaches..can you name any ? 

Edited by BP1960

31 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Who are these man managers rather than text book coaches..can you name any ? 

Keith Hill, Steve Evans, Pep Guardiola, Rafa Benitez, Ian Holloway, Steve Bruce, Sam Allardyce, John Sheridan, Pochettino and loads more.

Yes, agreed that some of the coaching licene stuff has tended to produce identikit managers and therefore football but there is still plenty of room in the game for individual characters