55 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Lots of talk about who our next manager will be!

I'm not Wellens' biggest fan as I've made perfectly clear in previous posts, I do but think we all need to unite and get behind him and the team for the next 4 games.

Once league one status secured...Graham Alexander for me next season. Realistic target and proven at this level.

Unite behind our manager you said. don't speculate who our next manager will be you  said.

Then proceeded to say you want someone else, and speculated howe easy it would be to get them!!!!

Practice what you preach....! :D

Sorry LB, that cracked me up!

Let's just hope he keeps us up and keeps his job. 

It's all gone to shit but he seems bright enough to work out what's gone wrong and might well put it right over the summer.

His contacts could be as good as they'll ever be for signings too given he's just finished playing.

I wouldn't be totally against keeping him on even if we went down but I'd be amazed if we did. 

4 hours ago, palmer1 said:

I personally think RW is afraid to go back to the more open style of play we saw earlier in the season through fear that we may get picked off easier. Although entertaining we did ride our luck on a number of occasions.

Although none of us like it (him included I bet) he now wants to keep it tight which is what we've seen the last few weeks. Id bet though he isn't telling player to play it long and sit in constantly but that's what happens when you have average players, players who aren't willing to work hard enough for the team and players with egos they have no right to have at this stage in their career.

Hopefully we survive but which ever division we start in next year id be willing to bet if RW is in charge the free flowing attacking football will return.

He is being overly cautious due to the pressure.

I don't agree with this - with the Blackburn home game as a case study, we were tight at the back, played to the team's strengths and got a result.  Sounds like we were by far luckier last night playing the much less preferred formation..

My opinion changes on Richie on a weekly basis.  I want him to do well - he seems like a good chap, has served us well as a player and has shown glimpses of what well organised teams of his can do.  It's a very different scenario to Robinson, Dunn, Kelly, etc in my opinion.

But he is seems so resistant to going back to what works well.  Arguably our most talented footballers are Doyle and Byrne, but they just seem to be being by-passed.  Byrne seems like a bit of a sulker, but I think he has half a right to be at the moment with the tactics we're playing.  A Preston fan in work says one of the main reasons Doyle fell out of favour there is because they play 4-5-1 and he needs a partner - this has not been more evident than in the last couple of matches.  I think if Wellens stays we can probably forget having either of these two here next season even if we do stay up..

Edited by JoeP

17 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I don't agree with this - with the Blackburn home game as a case study, we were tight at the back, played to the team's strengths and got a result.  Sounds like we were by far luckier last night playing the much less preferred formation..

My opinion changes on Richie on a weekly basis.  I want him to do well - he seems like a good chap, has served us well as a player and has shown glimpses of what well organised teams of his can do.  It's a very different scenario to Robinson, Dunn, Kelly, etc in my opinion.

But he is seems so resistant to going back to what works well.  Arguably our most talented footballers are Doyle and Byrne, but they just seem to be being by-passed.  Byrne seems like a bit of a sulker, but I think he has half a right to be at the moment with the tactics we're playing.  A Preston fan in work says one of the main reasons Doyle fell out of favour there is because they play 4-5-1 and he needs a partner - this has not been more evident than in the last couple of matches.  I think if Wellens stays we can probably forget having either of these two here next season even if we do stay up..

The Blackburn home game was while in form during a good run in the middle of the season. We are not at the end where a loss could finish us. Also we aren't playing Blackburn we are playing games teams around who we can't afford to lose too. Circumstances and the back have changed a lot since then. 

8 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

The Blackburn home game was while in form during a good run in the middle of the season. We are not at the end where a loss could finish us. Also we aren't playing Blackburn we are playing games teams around who we can't afford to lose too. Circumstances and the back have changed a lot since then. 

But last night was only not a loss by luck and not good management.  In a good run or otherwise, surely you play to the team's strengths?  I would say we're not doing that.

20 minutes ago, JoeP said:

But last night was only not a loss by luck and not good management.  In a good run or otherwise, surely you play to the team's strengths?  I would say we're not doing that.

Luck plays a massive part in football Dale are below us for a reason, they can't beat teams like us. Nobody said the tactics were good or right. I am simply summising what RWs mindset may be heading into games and its not the same as 30 games ago. 

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Lots of talk about who our next manager will be!

I'm not Wellens' biggest fan as I've made perfectly clear in previous posts, I do but think we all need to unite and get behind him and the team for the next 4 games.

Once league one status secured...Graham Alexander for me next season. Realistic target and proven at this level.

Surely this post was deserving of its own thread ? You should have got one going. 

I suggest we get a new manager in during the summer , we can then recruit a new team that will not gel as quickly as we all demand ( a couple of months). We will then be playing catch up and be battling relegation again. We will all,then be clamouring for that managers head and slagging off the players.

As for his replacement let's try something new. Experienced manager at this level, rookie looking for first management job or a club legend who knows the club. Just forgot we've been down that road before and they were all crap.

So let's all get that revolving door that is the heartbeat of OAFC spinning again.

3 hours ago, laticsmarra said:

I suggest we get a new manager in during the summer , we can then recruit a new team that will not gel as quickly as we all demand ( a couple of months). We will then be playing catch up and be battling relegation again. We will all,then be clamouring for that managers head and slagging off the players.

As for his replacement let's try something new. Experienced manager at this level, rookie looking for first management job or a club legend who knows the club. Just forgot we've been down that road before and they were all crap.

So let's all get that revolving door that is the heartbeat of OAFC spinning again.

What are you on about, Honestly? 

What is it with some fans and their utter obsession with stability?

Some people are saying we should stick with wellens if we go down?

Hello. . . 

ITS A RESULTS DRIVEN BUSINEES. 

Name me one manager in the last five / ten years that we’ve sacked who didn’t deserve it??? 

You only get stability when results are semi decent or good, you don’t get it when results are below average. 

You and others make it sound like we’re leeds, where a manager finishes 11th and shows promise and we still sack him. We don’t. We sack them because there not very good. Simple. 

Your living in a fantasy land if you think we should stick by managers because they MIGHT turn out good. 

The only manager who showed real promise was LJ; and we didn’t sack him, why? Because he’s good at his job. 

I can’t wait for a manager who takes us on, and does well with us.

It will happen. One day.  

I just wonder, where will all our  fans be who say our training facilities are poor, we’ve got no money, he can’t buy championship players, he’s been given the impossible job! 

Will be it against all the odds when somebody does well?

Or might it be, that we find someone who can make average players play above themselves, be tactically astute and get the very best out of limited resources? 

I know it’s wacky, but just a thought. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

I can’t wait for a manager who takes us on, and does well with us.

It will happen. One day.  

I just wonder, where will all our  fans be who say our training facilities are poor, we’ve got no money, he can’t buy championship players, he’s been given the impossible job! 

Will be it against all the odds when somebody does well?

Or might it be, that we find someone who can make average players play above themselves, be tactically astute and get the very best out of limited resources? 

I know it’s wacky, but just a thought. 

Nice sentiment. Trouble is , as soon as we do get another LJ they will be off to bigger and better things at the first opportunity. Then it’s back to square one. Then we go through another ten managers until another gem turns up and hey ho , up and away they go. 

Just now, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Nice sentiment. Trouble is , as soon as we do get another LJ they will be off to bigger and better things at the first opportunity. Then it’s back to square one. Then we go through another ten managers until another gem turns up and hey ho , up and away they go. 

And how is this any different to any other lower league club? 

For me I would cross that bridge when we get to it but in the meantime I would  love to experience some of the below.

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

1 minute ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

But that’s where we are. 

Lets be honest. Our only hope is a manager sticks around long enough to get us up- and even then he probably go. But I don’t mind that. We’re a small club. 

An if it takes 10 managers to find the next gem, isn’t that the point?? Obviously you pray it doesn’t take that many. But I find it so depressing when fans try to find positives where there aren’t. 

Id love to see us safe in 15th, and dreaming what wellens could do, but we aren’t. 

Call it as it is. 

He took over, had a bounce, and since then we’ve struggled. 

Its never about the manager. It’s about the club, and the honesty to say; are we moving in the right direction. And we’re not. 

17 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Hopefully if that happens again the board will tell whichever club is sniffing around to do one. I also hope that they don’t panic and wave the white flag if there’s a remote chance we could get promoted. Who knows though as we still don’t know what AL’s plan/vision is.

Edited by johnafoafc

Funny old game...

When Shez was fired we were bottom and many thought this was our year for the drop. Wellens takes over and was tasked with having a go at keeping us up. He performed so well when he took over that his own great performance is being used as a reason to get rid of him. :blink:

1 minute ago, palmer1 said:

Funny old game...

When Shez was fired we were bottom and many thought this was our year for the drop. Wellens takes over and was tasked with having a go at keeping us up. He performed so well when he took over that his own great performance is being used as a reason to get rid of him. :blink:

? unreal. Absolutely unreal. 

He performed so well when he took over. . . 

Yep. And what? Shall we all toss ourselves off at form from 25 games ago? 

‘his own great performance’ 

for many games. . 4? 

Why are you infatuated with defending the bang average? 

Is it blind optimism? (Which isn’t a bad thing)  Or are you just accepting of mediocre? 

Talking of shez. In case you forgot, he had far less time, far fewer games, far less backing, and had us safe by now. 

If we compare the job shez did TWICE with what wellens has had, it really highlights we’re RW is at. But then, I think you know that really. Because you come across as intelligent. 

Your very quick to say or imply we have a load of negative fans, but it cuts both ways. I think your deluded to our current plight. It’s always somebody or something else’s fault, we’ve no money, etc etc etc. 

Could it just be, the manager is underperforming? 

I await the 67 reasons why wellens is a miracle worker, who walks on water. 

Shez had less backing? Who brought in Byrne, Kean, Doyle? Who had the pre season to put the squad together? Shez left us this current situation cut adrift at the bottom. He worked miracles previous years but left us in the shit this time for ever reason.

Infatuated with defending the average? Its funny because all I do on here is tell people to strive for more but I don't make judgments to quick. I certainly don't go from 50/50 to 60/40 and the too all out 0/100 Wellens out in 8 pages of a thread after 2 draws and zero movement in the table where we haven't even dropped into the bottom 4 but I won't talk negativity in Oldham fans.

I can see potential in Wellens and I you think I'm deluded because I try to take all things into consideration before forming an opinion on players and managers then so be it. Ive backed my opinion against most on here many times and im generally not far off. Time will tell on this but I can say one thing for absolute certain, sacking a manager every season or in this case far less is fkn stupid and won't bring any kind of success. We've been doing it for 20 years...hows that worked out?

Can't be bothered quoting your whole post, Palmer, but just a little point about Shez : we weren't exactly cut adrift when he left. We were 3 points off 20th position. Although we cannot say for certain, I am convinced he would have got us safe with ease. He only had 2 weeks working with the players he was desperate to bring in (Bryan, Doyle and Byrne) after arguing for months with Corney/Lemsagam about trying to sign in. He then went into the Rotherham game without Doyle, who got himself sent off with a stupid tackle in the Shrewsbury game, probably in frustration at himself for missing an open goal when it was 1-1 (we ended up losing 2-1).

However, I completely agree that the keeper problem lay firmly at the feet of Sheridan...

Edited by Lee Sinnott

19 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Can't be bothered quoting your whole post, Palmer, but just a little point about Shez : we weren't exactly cut adrift when he left. We were 3 points off 20th position. Although we cannot say for certain, I am convinced he would have got us safe with ease. He only had 2 weeks working with the players he was desperate to bring in (Bryan, Doyle and Byrne) after arguing for months with Corney/Lemsagam about trying to sign in. He then went into the Rotherham game without Doyle, who got himself sent off with a stupid tackle in the Shrewsbury game, probably in frustration at himself for missing an open goal when it was 1-1 (we ended up losing 2-1).

However, I completely agree that the keeper problem lay firmly at the feet of Sheridan...

We were bottom of the league with 1 win and we almost blew that at Bristol. Cut adrift may be a bit strong but 3 points away from 20th would see us down. How far off safety were we? I have no record but several wins were needed from memory? He may have kept us up but it certainly looked bad and at Rovrum many accounts pointed to players giving up on him.

For the record I wanted Shez to stay also. 

And sorry Paddy if we can't mention the circumstances RW works under in this thread we certainly can't mention suspensions under Shez. 

Edited by palmer1