Bunn Officially confirmed

Just now, deyres42 said:

A better manager would have us in a higher position.

Maybe Jose Mourhino could be persuaded? Doesn't need the money for sure and a nice little challenge of his management skills.

We could even fix him up with a penthouse suite in the nearby Premier Inn.😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

He’s got two matches to sort it out in my opinion. Anything other than a comprehensive victory against the division whipping boys on New Years Day and he should be off. 

He could be off before then if we see more of the same at Vale Park.

10 hours ago, oafc21 said:

Nah don’t give a shit that was no blip that was totally unexplainable!! 

Agreed, a total lack of desire takes you from 2-0 at half time to 6-0 at full and the fans of this club deserve far better.

I'll leave it there 

12 hours ago, Dick_Valentine said:

He’s got two matches to sort it out in my opinion. Anything other than a comprehensive victory against the division whipping boys on New Years Day and he should be off. 

I suppose if there's a time to sack during the season then that would be it.  Giving a new manager plenty of time in the transfer market to make a really big push at promotion.

But that depends on a lot of things going right.  Do we have the money to fund that push?  Will we be able to attract the calibre of players to have a go at it?  Will the right manager want to take it on?  Will said manager put up with the alleged shite that AL will probably give him?  Will the squad be settled enough if we lose our key loan players regardless of who comes in?

Personally I doubt a new manager will make much of an impact without significant financial backing.  Yesterday was terrible but Bunn has done neither a great job nor a bad job so far this season, he's done OK.  The biggest positive is that he's likely to stop the rot of the previous decade and keep us well away from relegation.

I don't think AL has a lot to lose by backing Bunn in January, giving him the season and if it doesn't work out go our separate ways then.  Keeping a manager who's not done something heinous and deserving of the sack for the full season would improve his long term reputation with me (and I'd guess a lot of other fans too).

If he does sack Bunn and the 2nd half of the season goes worse than the 1st, then we'll probably be looking for yet another new manager in June anyway, but from a less stable position.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh
  • Like 1

I'm not in favour of sacking Bunn.  If there is money for that then it should be used on adding a player or two.

Thought I would bite the bullet and subscribe to iFollow just to see what the man had to say but even after changing password it just doesn't like me.  Ah well will have to wait for the misspelled summary.

Rightly or wrongly I think AL will sack him if we lose at Vale and replace him with Clarke. Yesterday was one of the worse days I've had in over 40 years supporting the club and at the end of the day the book stops with Bunn. 

Pros... Maybe a new approach, a few quid for the new manager to strengthen the squad in Jan and a big FA cup tie to look forward to may galvanise us for a 2 H playoff push

Against....the current squad and game strategy is obviously nor good enough, hence the crap results against sides above us, is Clarke good enough or a big enough change to make a difference, and will there be any money in Jan? 

To be honest I'm not that bothered either way after yesterday's fucking shambles. 

Will be reluctantly be going to Vale but can't be arsed to drive up for the Notts County game which is a sorry state of affairs. 

36 minutes ago, laticsmarra said:

He wont jump at sacking FB,we are going Slowly Slowly aren't we ?

I like giving meaning to the slowly slowly mantra if I'm honest, because to get sustained progress at the club it's likely to be a long and slow process, so it's probably the smart way to go about things.

But it's also a good test of AL's word.  Knee-jerk decisions should damage his reputation.  I can forgive decisions that are risky if he has a solid plan in place and the means to execute it, but in reality it's questionable that he has either.

13 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Rightly or wrongly I think AL will sack him if we lose at Vale and replace him with Clarke.

If that's the plan then we would be better sticking with Bunn.  Either Clarke is manager and we lose probably the most important part of our defence or Clarke plays and we lose a presence on the touchline.  If we replace Bunn it would have to be someone who has promotions from the lower league on their CV and a proven method of doing it, and they'd need backing.  Great if we can do that but I doubt it.

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Clarke would probably tell him where to stick it.

Like he has done already, who in their right mind would want to manage us with AL and his brother on either shoulder chirping away, Shez disapproved - gone, Wellens disapproved - gone, let's face it Bunns in the job because he can be walked all over, any manager worth their salt isn't going to put up with shite like that and who can blame them, chairman interfering has never worked at any football club in the top four divisions and if anything it has a massive negative impact on clubs, if the latest rumblings are true that would be another season down the pan through sheer stupidity.

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Chairman interfering has never worked at any football club in the top four divisions and if anything it has a massive negative impact on clubs, if the latest rumblings are true that would be another season down the pan through sheer stupidity.

Part of me thinks no, he shouldn't be going into the changing room and berating the players for poor performance.

The other part of me thinks if I mess up royally at work then my boss's boss would tear me a new one, that's the way the world works.

Everyone has to deal with that in every walk of life unless they don't work or run their own business. There are always people running the ship that want and demand a certain level of performance and results

3 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I suppose if there's a time to sack during the season then that would be it.  Giving a new manager plenty of time in the transfer market to make a really big push at promotion.

But that depends on a lot of things going right.  Do we have the money to fund that push?  Will we be able to attract the calibre of players to have a go at it?  Will the right manager want to take it on?  Will said manager put up with the alleged shite that AL will probably give him?  Will the squad be settled enough if we lose our key loan players regardless of who comes in?

Personally I doubt a new manager will make much of an impact without significant financial backing.  Yesterday was terrible but Bunn has done neither a great job nor a bad job so far this season, he's done OK.  The biggest positive is that he's likely to stop the rot of the previous decade and keep us well away from relegation.

I don't think AL has a lot to lose by backing Bunn in January, giving him the season and if it doesn't work out go our separate ways then.  Keeping a manager who's not done something heinous and deserving of the sack for the full season would improve his long term reputation with me (and I'd guess a lot of other fans too).

If he does sack Bunn and the 2nd half of the season goes worse than the 1st, then we'll probably be looking for yet another new manager in June anyway, but from a less stable position.

Top post. 

Agree 100%. 

If we start sacking managers that are doing ok, on top of the shit ones, we’ll be giving it to the kit man next. 

2 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Part of me thinks no, he shouldn't be going into the changing room and berating the players for poor performance.

The other part of me thinks if I mess up royally at work then my boss's boss would tear me a new one, that's the way the world works.

Everyone has to deal with that in every walk of life unless they don't work or run their own business. There are always people running the ship that want and demand a certain level of performance and results

Agreed. 

I was thinking similar yesterday. 

Corney did it numerous times. Why is it so bad if AL does it? Should he do it? Probably not, but I do think it’s understandle to a point.

I will say this though, you can’t do it more than once (in a season 😁) otherwise you do start to look stupid, and the effect quickly wares off. 

It's all about timing.

AL goes in the dressing room after yesterday to give the players a piece of his mind then I doubt a single fan wouldn't do the same.  But doing it after the Exeter game and the run we'd been on would be absolutely the wrong time to do it. 

If I was a player and that happened to me I'd feel alienated by my boss and thinking that I could do better than this.  Hopefully Surridge, Lang et al aren't feeling this way.

Footballers are an entitled bunch. In ANY other walk of life (except the public sector where you can do what the fuck you like and nobody can say a word to you for fear of some bogus bullying charge) a business owner will have his/her say.  Suck it up and do your job! 

Edited by kowenicki