Bunn Officially confirmed

I think the sacking of Rhodes is a bad decision it seems completely unexplained really it clearly wasnt Bunns decision. I dont think its down to him leaving that we have seen a small pick up in form, our best football this season has come when he was assistant.

I think hes doing ok bearing in mind the volatility behind the scenes. We need stability and a long term plan one that involves giving managers a certain level of leeway. 3-4 astute signings in january with a couple going out shoukd IMO be enough to get us top 7.

We have a pretty poor side in a league full of pretty poor sides. The difference to me is that our pretty poor side seems to be playing for the gaffer as of right now. I would hate to break up the momentum and cohesiveness that seems to be building.  Let’s see what Saturday brings and get behind FB and the lads for now.

Frankie stays!

Now that I’ve said it watch us go belly up.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

:lol:

Has he really said that, without a hint of irony?

My thought, but seeemingly not!
He has to be taking the piss, surely?
https://www.revolution962.com/news/revolution-local-sport/oldham-athletic-manager-questions-use-of-plastic-pitches-in-fa-cup/

However, the prospect of playing on a fabric surface isn’t something which Oldham’s manager is looking forward to: “I prefer grass, artificial pitches have improved but if the Football League and FA say you can’t have AstroTurf pitches within the Football League, why should clubs within the Football League enter competitions that have artificial pitches?”

Edited by singe

27 minutes ago, singe said:

My thought, but seeemingly not!
He has to be taking the piss, surely?
https://www.revolution962.com/news/revolution-local-sport/oldham-athletic-manager-questions-use-of-plastic-pitches-in-fa-cup/

However, the prospect of playing on a fabric surface isn’t something which Oldham’s manager is looking forward to: “I prefer grass, artificial pitches have improved but if the Football League and FA say you can’t have AstroTurf pitches within the Football League, why should clubs within the Football League enter competitions that have artificial pitches?”

He did say, it was a bit more nuanced in a later answer. He smirked, but did say it. I took it that overall he meant he preferred grass!
Sound quality on my work monitor abysmal though, so hard to hear most of it so might have misunderstood.
https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2018/november/30112018-bunn-pre-maidstone-part-two/

2 hours ago, singe said:

I think the pressure is getting to Frankie, first he says managers should be compensated by costly ref decisions, and now says that clubs in the FA cup should not be allowed to play on plastic.

World cup matches are now played on  artificial surfaces so why not any games?

On 11/29/2018 at 11:43 AM, Dave_Og said:

Laughing stock. Yes, if we create yet another vacancy we will get plenty of applications but not from anyone who has confidence they will get an offer elsewhere. 

I still smile at the thought - and the bonkersness of football these days - of how Gattuso applied for the Latics job but ended up at AC Milan instead. 

Ah well, better luck next time, Gattuso! 

1 hour ago, Nohairdontcare said:

I still smile at the thought - and the bonkersness of football these days - of how Gattuso applied for the Latics job but ended up at AC Milan instead. 

Ah well, better luck next time, Gattuso! 

Maybe Clarence Seedorf will pop in again. 

9 minutes ago, losesome said:

Must say I think we have looked much more positive since Rhodes went.

Maybe Abdul saw that he was having too much of a negative effect on performances and that's why he got rid.

Maybe the real Bunny is starting to come through !!!!!

Like a rabbit out of a hat. :D

7 hours ago, singe said:

He did say, it was a bit more nuanced in a later answer. He smirked, but did say it. I took it that overall he meant he preferred grass!
Sound quality on my work monitor abysmal though, so hard to hear most of it so might have misunderstood.
https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2018/november/30112018-bunn-pre-maidstone-part-two/

He doesn’t like plastic because it caused him to retire at age 26. Plastic caused his serious injury. Therefore he is justified in hating plastic. 

44 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

He doesn’t like plastic because it caused him to retire at age 26. Plastic caused his serious injury. Therefore he is justified in hating plastic. 

He was 28. Whilst IIRC he did his cruciates (his knee for the #JargonLads) an injury that doesn’t necessarily result in retirement these days, it wasn’t unusual for it to do so then. They can also happen on grass.

I’m not sure if the evidence indicated that such injuries were more common on artificial pitches than on grass. I’d imagine with the new 3/4 G pitches that any evidence is even less significant.

11 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Why would the assitant manager make the manager pick players? Surely he has the final choice.

Yes he would but if Rhodes was concerned about conceding goals (probably quite natural for a GK) he might sway Bunn to being (slightly) more defensive. 

Bar the few occasions when we played O'Grady up front on his own I don't necessarily think we've changed formation from 4-4-2, just our current 4-4-2 has been more attack-minded than it was previously. 

1 hour ago, Smiler13 said:

Not only have you managed to be factually wrong on FB, but you've made a number of assumptions on: what caused his injury; and why he doesn't like plastic pitches. 

34 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Not only have you managed to be factually wrong on FB, but you've made a number of assumptions on: what caused his injury; and why he doesn't like plastic pitches. 

I am not wrong. Listen to Bunns interview. He actually stated he had to retire at age 26. Plastic pitches in those days caused far more injuries than they do today