16 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Cheers.

There's little question of the dedication of someone who'd do a four hour round trip to watch a pre-season friendly..

Sanity could be questioned though. I get that pre season matches are a necessity but I couldn’t even get excited if Bayern Munich were coming to town. To summarise I don’t do friendlies. And not much imo should be read into them. 

1 minute ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Sanity could be questioned though. I get that pre season matches are a necessity but I couldn’t even get excited if Bayern Munich were coming to town. To summarise I don’t do friendlies. And not much imo should be read into them. 

Agreed on all fronts..

It is at times like these that I believe in the concept of parallel universes.

First half it was 10 against 12.  Whenever Maouche got the ball he gave it to the players in RED his touches were awful.  Replacing him at half time gave us 11 v 11.  O'Grady if we can afford him will lead the line and he made our first goal.  Trialist (Benteke) scored but I'm not convinced.

I can now accept that both Missile and Branger were taken on because Bunn liked what he saw.  Coke looks a good signing and Taylor an even better one.  When Taylor was substituted by an out of position Stott Forest had the run down their right.  Sam needs more time but he is a big lad - suspect Edmondson and Clarke will start against the franchise.

Can't accept that the Leicester trialist goalkeeper could have saved the first otherwise made some good saves to keep us in the game and is vocal.

Pleased to see the activity by Bunn and Rhodes.

Altogether feeling happier and allowing a little HOPE back in.

2 minutes ago, Hands on said:

It is at times like these that I believe in the concept of parallel universes.

First half it was 10 against 12.  Whenever Maouche got the ball he gave it to the players in RED his touches were awful.  Replacing him at half time gave us 11 v 11.  O'Grady if we can afford him will lead the line and he made our first goal.  Trialist (Benteke) scored but I'm not convinced.

I can now accept that both Missile and Branger were taken on because Bunn liked what he saw.  Coke looks a good signing and Taylor an even better one.  When Taylor was substituted by an out of position Stott Forest had the run down their right.  Sam needs more time but he is a big lad - suspect Edmondson and Clarke will start against the franchise.

Can't accept that the Leicester trialist goalkeeper could have saved the first otherwise made some good saves to keep us in the game and is vocal.

Pleased to see the activity by Bunn and Rhodes.

Altogether feeling happier and allowing a little HOPE back in.

If we can afford O’Grady??? Jesus, he’s snap our hand of, what ever the offer! 

14 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Fair play to Forest fans.  Doubt many clubs will match that following this year. 

I was quite surprised how giddy they got at a late equaliser against a L2 side with 3 or 4 of their best players missing though

Edited by ghostofcecere

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

To say he is the difference Clarke isn't starting many of these friendlies...

Bit naive to think he needs to be starting to make a difference given the dressing room at the back end of last season - but I guess you know that. 

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

To say he is the difference Clarke isn't starting many of these friendlies...

Everyone knows what you are getting from Clarke and at his age doesn’t need to be pushed especially in friendliest. We will learn more today and benefit more playing the two we did. I’d imagine he will be one of the first names on team sheet against MK

53 minutes ago, oldhamoafc said:

Everyone knows what you are getting from Clarke and at his age doesn’t need to be pushed especially in friendliest. We will learn more today and benefit more playing the two we did. I’d imagine he will be one of the first names on team sheet against MK

Suspect Clarke will be involved against MK but it was said at "meet the manager" that he wouldn't play in every game. George and Sam looked OK today so wouldn't have any qualms about them as an admittedly raw defensive pairing. 

On another note thought O'Grady led the line well and could do a stand-in job until we get more bodies in. He's obviously short of pace but would be an ideal partner for someone like Doyle..............................   

14 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Keeper - looked like he should have done better for goal. Solid enough after with 2 great saves from 1 on 1s

Taylor - looks like he'll be a good player for League 2. Looks solid and can deliver a nice inswinging corner from look of it

Edmundson - played well. Still gets pulled out if position a bit but will do a job

Graham - looks decent for 17. Not sure if I'd start him over Edmundson 

Hamer - will definitely play higher. Over committed himself couple times 2nd half but will learn

Maouche - some very neat touches at times. Would like see more of him

Branger - quite direct. Some neat touches. Not afraid of a challenge 

Missile - another who isn't afraid to put head and body in. Good engine. Good first impression

Gardner - looked good today back to how he was start of last season. Hope just a niggle.

Coke - too overconfident on ball couple times but looks easy good enough for League 2

O'Grady - few decent touches second half. Won couple headers. Its a no from me. 

So... if we accept that results in preseason games are largely meaningless, what can we make of the performances so far in our friendly games?

The Danish keeper who played yesterday has the potential to be the new Ripley...

We have brought in a decent left back in Taylor.

The other fullbacks/wingbacks in Hunt(*) and Dummigan will be more than good enough for this level.

The centre of our defence will feature Edmundson, Graham, Hamer(*), Stott and Clarke - a mix of youth and experience. 

Two of the #frenchlads in Branger-Egone And Missilou seem like they have the right attitude and skills.

Nepomuceno will feature from the bench.

Gardner and Coke could be major players on our season.

And then there are Baxter and Byrne - Baxter will play but fitness issues are a concern; let’s hope that it’s just preseason niggles. Byrne is the conundrum - is he just a bad egg? Or will he knuckle down and get on with showing what a good player he can be?

That leaves the question of strikers - O’Grady, Benteke, new kid on loan from a Premier League side, a new signing? Still a huge issue and it needs to be resolved very soon.

Overall with two weeks to go we are in a better state than I believed.

(*) Either/neither could be on his way if we believe the rumours

and as for Gerrard...

Gotta say fellas, think I watched a different game I thought Maouche looked out of his depth Bunn bollocked him a few times for not closing down and he looked very uncomfortable in running around. All about opinions but if that’s what you for £4K per week then he’s stealing a living...

the fact he was the only HT sub, for me speaks volumes...

Edited by oafcprozac

I know we are saying good enough for this(L2) level, but as the gap between top of L2 and Lower L1 is not that great how would you think we fared if we were still in L1?

Aside from the obvious need for strikers. Even then on the pre -season so far could Benteke and O'Grady still do something in L?

25 minutes ago, singe said:

I know we are saying good enough for this(L2) level, but as the gap between top of L2 and Lower L1 is not that great how would you think we fared if we were still in L1?

Aside from the obvious need for strikers. Even then on the pre -season so far could Benteke and O'Grady still do something in L?

Based on squad quality (at the minute) we'd be down there in my opinion. Obviously Abdallah's interference during the coming season and Bunn/Rhodes' management ability would play a massive part so it's hard to gauge.

26 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Don’t understand why nobody has asked Bunn the Byrne question?

Does anyone know anything about the Byrne situation? I heard a rumour that he’d refused to train. No idea if it’s true or not though. Maybe he wasn’t enjoying the twice a day training sessions? At the ‘Meet the Manager’ event FB did say that every player had to adhere to a strict code of conduct. If Byrne has stepped out of line so early then it’s good that the management team have acted so quickly.

i hope Byrne gets his act together but if he doesn’t then he’ll have to go.

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Based on squad quality (at the minute) we'd be down there in my opinion. Obviously Abdallah's interference during the coming season and Bunn/Rhodes' management ability would play a massive part so it's hard to gauge.

Cheers.

Byrne is on his way - he is the bad apple.  Gerrard was injured.  Clarke has undoubtedly worked very hard on his fitness.  O'Grady was not what I expected from the comments on here ie he is not that slow and he played well.  In comparison to Holloway he is a prolific striker!!!!  Hamer has touches of class but is still a little raw.  

57 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

Does anyone know anything about the Byrne situation? I heard a rumour that he’d refused to train. No idea if it’s true or not though. Maybe he wasn’t enjoying the twice a day training sessions? At the ‘Meet the Manager’ event FB did say that every player had to adhere to a strict code of conduct. If Byrne has stepped out of line so early then it’s good that the management team have acted so quickly.

i hope Byrne gets his act together but if he doesn’t then he’ll have to go.

More serious than not training...It will be interesteing to see the outcome of the situation and if FB allows him back into the fold or just bins him off as not wanting the hassle of dealing with him. 

Edited by super_blue