Forest Green (away) Saturday 11th August 2018

22 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I’ve spent all summer moaning about how poor our recruitment has been and got dog’s abuse for it on here. I’m basing my expectations on our poor squad. The fans have been badly let down by the board - the amount of money saved on wages since last season is in the millions and the only decent signings were Baxter and Andy Taylor. Even then, that’s a left-back who couldn’t get a game for fucking Blackpool and a lad who’s seriously unfit and been out of the game for years due to drugs use (he’s still mint though?). Their combined wages will be about 3k a week, that’s less than we were paying Preston for Ben Pringle. I’m gutted that the club has come to settle for being average in League Two - but that’s exactly what has happened this season and why I’ve done nothing but moan all summer. Bunn and Rhodes have a squad completely devoid of quality barring JBB (who I don’t think we’ll get many minutes out of). 

Today the poorest Latics squad in half a century got a point away against a well-run club who have a solid spine of a team. It’s decent. 

Millions saved on wages?!?! ?‍♂️

How do you get to that figure? When loan players come in we don’t essentially pay all there wages regardless of what there on! 

1 minute ago, super_blue said:

How do you get to that figure? When loan players come in we don’t essentially pay all there wages regardless of what there on! 

I did a post the other week where I estimated the savings made. The wage bill has dropped by close to £40,000 a week.

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It said on Radio manc that Iverson kept us in the game at one point in the second half from what you are saying it sounds dreadful.

What can we do to resolve it?

If we want to have a crack at it this season we need to get some decent loan players in and agree a clause to buy them in January. The squad needs significant investment - I think this season is a write off. We’ll be fine in terms of going down, there’s definitely two teams worse than us, but mid-table obscurity awaits. 

Admittedly the club will have lost a six figure amount due to solidarity payments (around £200,000, can’t be bothered to find the actual figure but they’re well published) and smaller crowds. The players brought in won’t be on much. Maybe millions is pushing it but definitely over a million (£20,000 a week would drastically improve our squad).

Just now, Ryan said:

If we want to have a crack at it this season we need to get some decent loan players in and agree a clause to buy them in January. The squad needs significant investment - I think this season is a write off. We’ll be fine in terms of going down, there’s definitely two teams worse than us, but mid-table obscurity awaits. 

I agree with that to a large extent if Byrne going out meant Connor Hall and David Cotterill coming in Id be satisfied as it would add something going forwards. We still have time to make additions it sounds like we need more creativity and more goals upfront. We can add that before the end of August and see where that takes us.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:28 AM, Ryan said:

Surely you don’t really believe that? Look at the list of outgoings from last season, I’ve tried to roughly estimate what I think is a realistic weekly wage/loan fee. The money saved since the end of last season is enormous. 

Doyle and Bryan £11,000 (Keegan’s article said that Doyle, Bryan and Byrne were costing us £16,000 p/w)

Gerrard £1,500-£2,500

Moimbe £2,000-£3,000

Mantack £300-£500

Fawns £300-£500

Banks £1,500-£2,000

Green £1,500-£2,000

Omrani £1,000-£1,500

Brian Wilson £1,000-£2,000

Nazon £0-£1,000

Holloway £1,500-£2,000

Davies £2,000-£2,500

Pringle £3,000-£4,000

Obadeyi £1,000-£1,500

Paddy Mac £1,500-£2,000

McLaughlin £1,500-£2,500

Benyu £0-£500

Gymafi £500-£1,000

Placide £4,000 

Total saved £35,100-£44,000 a week (hope my quick tally up is right :lol:). Even taking the lower figure, which I think is quite a conservative estimate, the total saved a year is £1,825,200. With the fees received for McLaughlin, Davies and Holloway added on then Abdallah has knocked over £2 million off the annual wage bill. Do you honestly believe that it is Jack Byrne stopping us from being in the market for a quality striker? Really? If JB goes then that wage, like nearly all of the others above, will not be spent on incomings.

That was the post I made last week. I honestly don't think I've been unrealistic with my estimates there. The quality of the incomings have not reflected the wages saved on the outgoing players. In League Two teams very rarely bounce back first time which suggests the quality gap is minimal, the teams promoted to League One also very rarely come straight back down. That tells me that we needed to improve on the squad that got us relegated - the current squad is a hell of a lot weaker than the one at Northampton so I can't see why people thought we'd be up there. It genuinley breaks my heart that our board aren't willing to invest on the same level as owners of clubs like FGR, Salford, Fleetwood etc...  I'm tired of banging the same drum now and must have repeated myself 100 times this summer. We are where we are with the current squad - we'll be fine and survive comfortably :chubb:

15 minutes ago, super_blue said:

Yes I know. Pringle is on 7k a week according to PNE fans.

1 minute ago, pinevillawill said:

And which two teams are they?

Morecambe, Macc and Yeovil are all definitely worse on paper imo. Carlisle are proper skint too but can't see them going down with Sir Shez in the dugout. 

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

That post was just bizarre.  Definitive conclusions based on dozens of total guesses.

Happy to be corrected by anyone on here about the wages/loan fees I've massively overestimated. 

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Just so many guesses and so many omissions.  Tax bill?  Pointless exercise.

Tax bills are an annual occurrence - it's not like it was a unforeseen expense. They should be budgeted for and having to pay one wouldn't lower future budgets in any normal business.

Just now, Ryan said:

Tax bills are an annual occurrence - it's not like it was a unforeseen expense. They should be budgeted for and having to pay one wouldn't lower future budgets in any normal business.

Yes but who knows its origins and whether part of hangover from old regime.  Fact is that if you don't know what resources the owner has then it's a bit daft to call him a disgrace for not spending them.

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Yes but who knows its origins and whether part of hangover from old regime.  Fact is that if you don't know what resources the owner has then it's a bit daft to call him a disgrace for not spending them.

I sympathise with that and I'd rather AL than Corney any day of the week. But surely he inspected the books thoroughly before buying the club? He'd been around for half a year before the takeover was completed.

I'm not directly calling Abdallah a disgrace but I believe our recruitment has been (barring JBB and Andy Taylor). I know nothing of his wealth but given the money he was pumping in last season I find it hard to believe that his resources have suddenly ran dry - why waste everything in your first year? The weekly fee that was spent on Menig alone would pay the weekly wages for 3 very good strikers at this level. I think the fans have been let down this season, we could've made a real go of it and brought the feel good factor back to BP.  We deserve a promotion, we've waited long enough. 

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree as I'm honestly boring myself. We are where we are and I think Bunn and Rhodes will do a decent job given the players at their disposal.

7 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I sympathise with that and I'd rather AL than Corney any day of the week. But surely he inspected the books thoroughly before buying the club? He'd been around for half a year before the takeover was completed.

I'm not directly calling Abdallah a disgrace but I believe our recruitment has been (barring JBB and Andy Taylor). I know nothing of his wealth but given the money he was pumping in last season I find it hard to believe that his resources have suddenly ran dry - why waste everything in your first year? The weekly fee that was spent on Menig alone would pay the weekly wages for 3 very good strikers at this level. I think the fans have been let down this season, we could've made a real go of it and brought the feel good factor back to BP.  We deserve a promotion, we've waited long enough. 

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree as I'm honestly boring myself. We are where we are and I think Bunn and Rhodes will do a decent job given the players at their disposal.

Im going to say this with great caution and I’m not a business man so don’t really know the ins and outs of buying one.

is it beyond the realms of possibility that the books where well and truly looked at but maybe not everything was in said book?

like I say no idea but as a staunch defender of Corney in days gone by he seems dodgier and dodgier by the day!

btw Ryan, agreed with you a lot recently especially today - your concerns about top half are certainly valid and got to say your arguments balanced. Sure we will be sparring at some point though ?

• Like 1

First half we were pretty bad, improved second half (which wasnt hard to be honest) with Baxter on and passing seemed quicker and with more aim!  

O'Grady had a thankless task up there and he made it seem more difficult as he was running through treacle with his boots on the wrong feet! If the idea is to play of him, when he wins or even loses out, we were that deep none of our midfielders haf a sniff to compete for the ball, need to be higher up.

Lacked numbers in the box when decent crosses came in, Nepo needs to keep them away from the keeper, played a few into his hands.

Coke- 2 games and he's done nothing, what is his natural position?  Can't be behind the front man, no movement, slow and poor touch.

Young George scares the life outa me when he gets turned and chases the ball towards his goal with time, his passing was poor today.  Think he will get better and better with games.

Iversen was top notch and made 3 good stops.  Baxter changed the game for us and won the pen.  Graham unlucky to slip and like the look of him.  Gardner has effort and seems to care.

Got out of jail today.  Need to vastly improve performance wise.

Few of our old boys played well, thought Winchester, Mills and Reid had good games for them.  Reid was a pain in the arrse all game and held the ball up extremely well.

Iversen gets my MOM.

Edited by deckyd

1 hour ago, rosa said:

Shit ground, shit game, shit PA, shit weather, shit day. No idea why Benteke wasn't brought on for O'Grady. On the plus side we looked miles better when Baxter came on and Iversen had a very good game. And the pies were great. 

Bu but it’s carbon neutral!