Forest Green (away) Saturday 11th August 2018

12 minutes ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

While walking past the official entrance, Mrs S and I were invited into the stadium to look round the hospitality set-up - very similar to FCUM's.

Some pictures and video of the penalty:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/diego_sideburns/albums/72157694272818470

A nice insight to FGR, Diego. As much as the knuckle draggers on Twitter were calling them a "pub team", they appear to have a good set-up, some nice branding and a forward thinking mentality. I can only see bigger things for them.

40 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Only two matches in and I'd say we are five or six players short, Hunt, Missilou, Branger, Nepo all well below average and Coke (again) and O'Grady were a disgrace, thought Gardner, Edmondson, Hamer and Graham all come away with credit and Iverson was superb but let's be honest here in two games we've created nothing, don't look like a team, Maouche - is he even a footballer and Bunn already looks like a beaten man.

I expect the few hundred extra on the gate to be soon lost if this debacle continues and it's difficult to take any positives out of a performance where we created nothing in open play, AL needs to get his fucking finger out and stop fucking about with our football club before we drop out of this league altogether.

I don't think Coke and O'Grady even impressed on trial and Miller seems to be struggling for fitness already.

I wouldn't be happy either about Cotterill using our facilities to get fit and then going elsewhere if that turns out to be the case.

Tom Eaves scores 2 today, how many chances have we had to get him back here yet he's a local boy playing down south?

Edited by BP1960

4 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Thats my view too.  It’s been posted a few times as to how much has been wiped off the wage bill with all the departures prior to new season starting.  Gerrard fired, now Byrne allegedly and other high earners are mysteriously injured, sick etc.

I get this horrible feeling that AL is forcing all these players out, signing players on much lower wages and either reducing the wage bill to an absolute minimum or he’s skint having gambled on last season.

Genuinely worried for this season; was frustrated but accustomed to lower table League 1 but lower table League 2?? Nah, we deserve more with a 4000 fanbase and hopefully I’m wrong and AL allows FB to strengthen these coming weeks via loan deals.

If he is skint and did gamble it all on last season, then he is nowhere near being a businessman fit to run a football club. Been here before, to some extent, with Chris Moore. Bunn, in my opinion, was a very poor appointment, but I am not one to have a go at someone without them being given a fair whack at the job. 

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Wasn't keen on Bunn from day 1 and those comments on Thursday well and truly sounded the alarm.

I've just got a funny feeling we are still under some sort of embargo which is why Cotterill hasn't happened and we are not seeing Clarke.

Forgive my ignorance but why would an embargo affect Clarke's playing or not?

12 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Did we actually have anyone on trial who didn't sign?

Quite. A very strange situation. The only one who hasn’t signed is Cotterill who ironically is the one player with a bit of class who might make a difference. What is the point of O’Grady and Miller both signing? Surely you spend that money (chuck in the Coke wage as well) on a proven striker?  Bizarre recruitment this summer without a doubt. 

31 minutes ago, Wardie said:

A nice insight to FGR, Diego. As much as the knuckle draggers on Twitter were calling them a "pub team", they appear to have a good set-up, some nice branding and a forward thinking mentality. I can only see bigger things for them.

How are they run, have they a rich owner?

8 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Bunn said Miller and Surridge hamstring grade 1 out Tuesday but back for Saturday.

Can be up to 3 weeks for a grade 1.

The question is why have they both got the same injury in the same week?

Edited by BP1960

19 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

How are they run, have they a rich owner?

Yeh the owner has finance. He is basically a hippy that got rich via his Energy company Ecotricity (renewable energy). Worth over £50million I think. Maybe even closer to £100 million 

Edited by super_blue

1 minute ago, super_blue said:

Yeh the owner has finance. He is basically a hippy that got rich via his Energy company Ecotricity (renewable energy). Worth over £50million I think. Maybe even closer to £100 million 

We need to round up a few Oldham hippies then.

Don’t get the secrecy about all the injuries. Who do they honestly think they are..? It’s not MI5, society will not crumble due to the fact the club revealed Andy Taylor has broken his ankle or something. Just be fucking straight and tell us. No one had any idea Miller or Surridge were injured until today. Why are they so obsessed with secrecy? Why won’t Sam the media bloke ask some proper fucking questions... The clubs a joke. Pains me to say this but as much as Corney was a total c***, i’d rather have him right now than Abdallah who seems hell bent on being an ego maniac suspending players when he feels like it. Setting up and scraping a point at Forest agrees f’n Rovers. Jesus fucking wept.

I seriously cannot watch the likes of Coke and O’grady play for us all season. Reuben Reid is a run of the mill League 2 player, who is still twice the player O’grady is, it’s a fucking embarassment that he plays for us. Coke subbed at HT in both games, says it all, truly truly shite. 

OK we drew, and we have a lot of injuries, but that starting line up is by far the worst I have seen in the 15 years following latics. 4-5-1 away at fucking forest green rovers? Some fans happy with a point? Is it an over reaction? I don’t know, but right now i’m pissed off after watching that. If we’d have lost by 3 or 4 it wouldn’t have flattered them.

Positives for me were Iverson who kept us in it, Gardner who had another decent game and Baxter who even though not fit made a difference. The food was also really good, although that Cotswolds Lager was shite. 

Its genuinely concerning seeing the reaction of some our fans today. Its too easy to dismiss this as people moaning I think their are some deep issues here at our club.

If it carries on its only a matter of time before people start turning on the owner. Im starting to wonder what his intentions are at the club and what he's even doing at OAFC whats his plan here?

10 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Don’t get the secrecy about all the injuries. Who do they honestly think they are..? It’s not MI5, society will not crumble due to the fact the club revealed Andy Taylor has broken his ankle or something. Just be fucking straight and tell us. No one had any idea Miller or Surridge were injured until today. Why are they so obsessed with secrecy? Why won’t Sam the media bloke ask some proper fucking questions... The clubs a joke. Pains me to say this but as much as Corney was a total c***, i’d rather have him right now than Abdallah who seems hell bent on being an ego maniac suspending players when he feels like it. Setting up and scraping a point at Forest agrees f’n Rovers. Jesus fucking wept.

I know everything isn't rosy in the garden right now, but bear with him. FB says he's in to rebuild, and this will take time. He's asked fans for patience. We haven't got the fully fit team out there yet.

Seem to remember Joe Royle's first season we survived on goal difference over Derby. And look what happened after that. 

Also, remember Wigan coming down from Championship not so long ago?  Did nothing up to Christmas, then flew up the league. This is a rebuild from the inside out and is going to take time unfortunately.

Hang on in there. This is Latics. It can, and will happen again for us, -  one day :)

First half was hopeless.  The sympathy I have for Bunn with so many key players missing is diminished when he plays a back 5 that's extremely inexperienced and vulnerable and a midfield 5 that has 3 central midfielders yet none of them who protect the back line or support the lone striker.

The hope arrived in the form of Jose Baxter.  From the first minute he came on we started to look like some form of attacking threat.  It still didn't mask the fact that some players simply didn't look up to the task but at least it was something.  Forest Green had some good players in the right areas, Rawson at the back (granted he was up against O'Grady) and Reid up front were strong and effective.  However a good team would've torn us to shreds in the first half so they can't have been that good.

On an individual basis:

Iverson - a positive.  Maybe could've done better for their goal but it was a good strike by Reid.  Good with crosses and made a few good saves in the 2nd half.

Hamer - a really poor first half where he looked out of his depth, but a very good second half.  Provided the cross that led to the penalty.

Graham - slipped for the goal but very strong in the air.  A lot of potential there and hard to believe that he's only 17!

Edmundson - alright.  Not a liability but lack of pace might hinder him.  Both centre backs desperate for the experience and leadership that Clarke brings.

Hunt - not very good.  He's a much better right back going off last season.

Branger-Engone - on that showing I don't think he's good enough.  Worked hard but off the pace.

Missilou - the build of a Kante but didn't really do a lot of anything in all honesty.

Gardner - One of the few players who regularly wanted to get on the ball and showed some balls when stepping up for the pen.  I have a lot of respect for him but the fact that he's gone from one of our weaker first XI players last season to one of our stronger ones this season says more about our decline than his ability sadly.

Nepomuceno - I like his energy and the balance that he gives to the team, but any cross he did went perfectly into the keeper's hands.

Coke - somewhere between anonymous and useless.

O'Grady - at least he kept fighting the losing battle against their centre backs, but he was woefully ineffective.  If he's anything more than a back up striker this season then we are in trouble!

Subs:

Baxter - my god he stands out like a sore thumb.  If Byrne has been sacked then at least a fit Jose will soften the blow.

Moosh - anonymous apart from a push in a needless position.

With the squad we have (mainly the players missing) we should comfortably stay up, but I have this feeling that the rug could be pulled from under our feet at any point which could spell total disaster.

7 minutes ago, staffordlatic said:

I know everything isn't rosy in the garden right now, but bear with him. FB says he's in to rebuild, and this will take time. He's asked fans for patience. We haven't got the fully fit team out there yet.

Seem to remember Joe Royle's first season we survived on goal difference over Derby. And look what happened after that. 

Also, remember Wigan coming down from Championship not so long ago?  Did nothing up to Christmas, then flew up the league. This is a rebuild from the inside out and is going to take time unfortunately.

Hang on in there. This is Latics. It can, and will happen again for us, -  one day :)

Hi Frankie