Forest Green (away) Saturday 11th August 2018

15 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Its genuinely concerning seeing the reaction of some our fans today. Its too easy to dismiss this as people moaning I think their are some deep issues here at our club.

If it carries on its only a matter of time before people start turning on the owner. Im starting to wonder what his intentions are at the club and what he's even doing at OAFC whats his plan here?

I queried what AL’s plan or vision was as soon as it was confirmed that he had bought the club. I was told by a trust board member that everything was tickety boo and to be just pleased that Corney had gone. Another poster asked a similar question soon after and other posters implied that we didn’t really have a right to know what his plan was.

I know it’s early days and we’ve been dealt a shit hand with injuries etc but I am very concerned by what is going on both on and off the field. Hopefully it is just a transition phase and things will pick up. I don’t expect us to get anything of Derby but we desperately need a win next Saturday to get us up and running.

I keep flirting between anger, sadness, apathy, and worry. 

On the pitch- Im glad others have broke cover with there thoughts on Bunn. I’m desperate for him to do well, however from those that went, we sound devoid of - well anything. That’s a major concern two games in. I’ll defend Bunn on his squad because he’s working on a shoestring, but poor squad or not-  Surely we can do the basics?? How can we be so poor in all areas of our play. . . 

Off the pitch- every big earner has gone, is going, or looks like they soon will be. AL never speaks, there’s been zero investment on the squad and thus our recruitment is so poor it’s beyond a joke. 

I’m really concerned things are going to get a LOT worse before there better. I can’t help thinking we’re going the same way as Orient. Hope to god im wrong, but can’t shake the feeling. 

Very worrying times. 

4 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

What's the conspiracy theory for this one? He's suspended? His appearance fees are too high? He sold AL a knock off pair of jeans and they split causing embarrassment so he's sentenced him to train with the tea lady?

He was ill with a virus and then came back to train and got injured in training. Nothing sinister in that and is just bad luck on his part because he’s looked fittter this preseason than for a long time. 

12 minutes ago, stevesidg said:

Seems like some home truths about money , available players and yesterday’s performance from Frankie Bunn.

http://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/16413457.frankie-bunns-forest-green-rovers-reaction/ 

If Benteke cant get in ahead of Coke would this not suggest he is spectacularly shit?

50 minutes ago, stevesidg said:

Seems like some home truths about money , available players and yesterday’s performance from Frankie Bunn.

http://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/16413457.frankie-bunns-forest-green-rovers-reaction/ 

You know what, that's an interview that gives me a bit of hope.  There's only so much that Frankie can do about the injury situation and it does sound like he knows what he wants to do when everyone is fit.

That said, as Byrne isn't mentioned amongst the missing players that speaks volumes about his future.

I cannot for the life of me understand why AL even considered getting involved in this football club let alone buying it! 

Fans had been hoping that him coming in would be a turning point in our fortunes but after the opening couple of games and the continuing off the field shenanigans it seems our woes are set to continue.

O’Grady, who was deployed as a lone striker yesterday  has a wealth of experience above this level and should have been able to hold the ball up much better but he was bloody woeful. He is 32 and looks as fit as a fiddle but appeared to be running in concrete boots.

The back five are young lads who all put in a decent shift but are crying out for an experienced leader. We need a Clarke type in there pretty damn quick!!

Gardner was the only midfielder to come out of that game with any credit but apart from a decent 15 minute spell in the second half after a clearly unfit but effective Baxter came on, we created absolutely nothing.

As in the MK home game Coke was totally anonymous and hauled off again at halftime. On the showings so far I have to seriously question the wisdom of handing him a two year deal.

It’s early days and we are only two games in but the signs are not good. We won’t be challenging the playoff places on the evidence so far and I would probably take our usual 17th place right now!

A thoroughly shit day all round, and don’t get me started on Stroud, what a fucking shithole!!!!  

11 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

The team is so slow. We couldn’t string 2 passes together first half. It took a woefully unfit Baxter to use a bit of class to take control and spread play and make things happen. 

Coke, O'Grady and Maouche wouldn't get into many non league teams, all three are fucking dreadful.

Problem you've got now though is trying to attract players, a move to us is a risky proposition given what's gone on recently, a move to us at the arse end of League 2 is not going to happen.

1 minute ago, latics22 said:

Christ we gave coke 2 years???

Shocking isn't it, miles of the pace of the game, shits out of tackles, can't find a blue shirt, zero desire and would struggle to get in a Conference North team, subbed at half time two weeks running is fucking embarrassing. 

That first half was the worst 45 minutes I've seen in a long time. No one could make a 10 yard pass or even make the ball stick to lay it off. I was quite excited when we signed Coke, but you'd think he'd never played the game before.

O'Grady is a huge, but not entirely unexpected, disappointment. I think he won two headers all afternoon and one of those was defending a corner in his own box. On one run he made into their box in the second half, he couldn't even keep the ball within controlling distance of his feet.

Nepomuceno tried hard, but his crosses were just catching practice for their keeper. Even if they weren't, I very much doubt O'Grady would have made much of them. And there was no one else who got any crosses in. 

I felt a bit sorry for Graham, slipping as he tried to clear the ball that then set up Reid. Had to be him didn't it? Yes, the back 4 are so inexperienced, but there is something in there that could work with a Clarke type character back in.

I also felt sorry for Bunn. That squad was every fit player we had and included Sheridan and Norris. You don't have much to work with in those circumstances, but I was surprised he didn't bring Benteke on to add a bit of muscle.

There were 5 positives. 1) Iversen saved us from a beating. 2) Gardner worked his nuts off. 3) Baxter is pure class, even when not fully fit. 4) We should be a hell of a sight better when the injured players come back. 5) The samosas were very tasty.

Thankfully, we're only 2 games in, so there's plenty of time to get it right, but it needs a decent loan or free transfer signing or two to replace the dead wood. 

Edited by Bristolatic

If Clarke goes out on loan I’d say the writing is on the wall, he has obviously been in FB plans all preseason.  if he’s moved out with us having this your inexperienced young defence, it shows that we’re completely and utterly skint and will shift anyone out no matter the detriment to the manager, squad or future of the club.

20 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

That first half was the worst 45 minutes I've seen in a long time. No one could make a 10 yard pass or even make the ball stick to lay it off. I was quite excited when we signed Coke, but you'd think he'd never played the game before.

O'Grady is a huge, but not entirely unexpected, disappointment. I think he won two headers all afternoon and one of those was defending a corner in his own box. On one run he made into their box in the second half, he couldn't even keep the ball within controlling distance of his feet.

Nepomuceno tried hard, but his crosses were just catching practice for their keeper. Even if they weren't, I very much doubt O'Grady would have made much of them. And there was no one else who got any crosses in. 

I felt a bit sorry for Graham, slipping as he tried to clear the ball that then set up Reid. Had to be him didn't it? Yes, the back 4 are so inexperienced, but there is something in there that could work with a Clarke type character back in.

I also felt sorry for Bunn. That squad was every fit player we had and included Sheridan and Norris. You don't have much to work with in those circumstances, but I was surprised he didn't bring Benteke on to add a bit of muscle.

There were 5 positives. 1) Iversen saved us from a beating. 2) Gardner worked his nuts off. 3) Baxter is pure class, even when not fully fit. 4) We should be a hell of a sight better when the injured players come back. 5) The samosas were very tasty.

Thankfully, we're only 2 games in, so there's plenty of time to get it right, but it needs a decent loan or free transfer signing or two to replace the dead wood. 

Dude,the deadwood you want replacing have only been here a fortnight :D just wait to you see Miller :sign0068:

15 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Gardner having a go at the fans when celebrating his goal. ‘Stop fucking booing’

Dan Gardner has played two 'Captain Games' and been our best player by some way.

Absolutely nothing wrong with him running towards the fans (I was there) and shouting at them to stop booing, whilst celebrating his second goal in two games

Its called 'character' and to be honest we need a few more players showing some of it on the pitch !! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

First half was hopeless.  The sympathy I have for Bunn with so many key players missing is diminished when he plays a back 5 that's extremely inexperienced and vulnerable and a midfield 5 that has 3 central midfielders yet none of them who protect the back line or support the lone striker.

The hope arrived in the form of Jose Baxter.  From the first minute he came on we started to look like some form of attacking threat.  It still didn't mask the fact that some players simply didn't look up to the task but at least it was something.  Forest Green had some good players in the right areas, Rawson at the back (granted he was up against O'Grady) and Reid up front were strong and effective.  However a good team would've torn us to shreds in the first half so they can't have been that good.

On an individual basis:

Iverson - a positive.  Maybe could've done better for their goal but it was a good strike by Reid.  Good with crosses and made a few good saves in the 2nd half.

Hamer - a really poor first half where he looked out of his depth, but a very good second half.  Provided the cross that led to the penalty.

Graham - slipped for the goal but very strong in the air.  A lot of potential there and hard to believe that he's only 17!

Edmundson - alright.  Not a liability but lack of pace might hinder him.  Both centre backs desperate for the experience and leadership that Clarke brings.

Hunt - not very good.  He's a much better right back going off last season.

Branger-Engone - on that showing I don't think he's good enough.  Worked hard but off the pace.

Missilou - the build of a Kante but didn't really do a lot of anything in all honesty.

Gardner - One of the few players who regularly wanted to get on the ball and showed some balls when stepping up for the pen.  I have a lot of respect for him but the fact that he's gone from one of our weaker first XI players last season to one of our stronger ones this season says more about our decline than his ability sadly.

Nepomuceno - I like his energy and the balance that he gives to the team, but any cross he did went perfectly into the keeper's hands.

Coke - somewhere between anonymous and useless.

O'Grady - at least he kept fighting the losing battle against their centre backs, but he was woefully ineffective.  If he's anything more than a back up striker this season then we are in trouble!

Subs:

Baxter - my god he stands out like a sore thumb.  If Byrne has been sacked then at least a fit Jose will soften the blow.

Moosh - anonymous apart from a push in a needless position.

With the squad we have (mainly the players missing) we should comfortably stay up, but I have this feeling that the rug could be pulled from under our feet at any point which could spell total disaster.

Don't disagree with any of this Harry. Depressing performance wasn't it. 

Lacked pace, width and ideas, and the likes of Coke and Maouche should never play again for us. 

Could get embarrassed by a fired up Derby in the Cup.... 

11 hours ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

While walking past the official entrance, Mrs S and I were invited into the stadium to look round the hospitality set-up - very similar to FCUM's.

Some pictures and video of the penalty:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/diego_sideburns/albums/72157694272818470

Good pics, apart from the giant green rabbit. That is seriously scary.......