January Window Gossip/Rumours

How do you all feel, about the possibility in the not to distant future of a squad full of foreign players? I’m interested in all the posts that seem to suggest home players are best. If so, why? Are players more talented in this country??

One thing I do get, is that whenever anybody moves to a new country in any job it takes time to settle. However other than that, is there any difference between signing 8 foreign lads and 4 being shit, and 4 being decent. Than there is with 8 British lads with with the same success rate? 

Why are we so scepital of forgein imports? For me, as long as they’ve made to feel welcome and the team ethic is good surely we’ve got as good chance as anybody else. Or I am missing something? 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

How do you all feel, about the possibility in the not to distant future of a squad full of foreign players? I’m interested in all the posts that seem to suggest home players are best. If so, why? Are players more talented in this country??

One thing I do get, is that whenever anybody moves to a new country in any job it takes time to settle. However other than that, is there any difference between signing 8 foreign lads and 4 being shit, and 4 being decent. Than there is with 8 British lads with with the same success rate? 

Why are we so scepital of forgein imports? For me, as long as they’ve made to feel welcome and the team ethic is good surely we’ve got as good chance as anybody else. Or I am missing something? 

Not going to articulate as people will look to pick it apart but just feels wrong to me, all very underwhelming.

Won't be long until we are fielding 8, 9, 10 foreigners at this rate and that's not what Latics and the lower leagues should be about for me.

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not going to articulate as people will look to pick it apart but just feels wrong to me, all very underwhelming.

Won't be long until we are fielding 8, 9, 10 foreigners at this rate and that's not what Latics and the lower leagues should be about for me.

Ok. 

But why? 

What are the lower leagues ‘about’? 

Its exactly your point I’m genuinley interested in Eyrsey. 

Is it it because it’s what you know, and your apprehensive about a new model? Do you feel we’re losing our identity by playing foreigners? 

What’s ‘wrong’ with a team of foreigners? 

Their is no reason why a group of foreign players can't be successful here even in league 2 however I think that overall we need them to be of better quality than what we have seen so far and they need to adapt to English life and League 2 life comfortably.

Missilou and Nepo are the only ones who I would call genuine successes, and even then I'm not worried about losing them this window to a bigger club unlike Surridge and potentially Edmondson.

Edited by GlossopLatic

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

Ok. 

But why? 

What are the lower leagues ‘about’? 

Its exactly your point I’m genuinley interested in Eyrsey. 

Is it it because it’s what you know, and your apprehensive about a new model? Do you feel we’re losing our identity by playing foreigners? 

What’s ‘wrong’ with a team of foreigners? 

I don’t care where they come from, I’d rather finish top of the league with none English players than bottom with English!

I think there is a valid non-xenophobic point about having 'too many' foreign players in the team. For me it's re the lack of knowledge and therefore connection. When you sign from another league club then there is a fair chance you will have seen the player in action, have a reasonable knowledge of his style and career, perhaps have a mate who supports his old club etc... 

With the imports we're looking at dubious YouTube videos and Wiki stats which really aren't the same at all. 

It's one of the reasons why the PL has just become entertainment for me; I don't care about a £40m player that I have never heard of before. 

If they're good enough and it works then great and they're very welcome but it does mean the connection is one step removed. 

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

When you sign from another league club then there is a fair chance you will have seen the player in action, have a reasonable knowledge of his style

It also means that scouts/opposing teams have been watching you as well. Thats Macclesfields homework up the Swanny

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Their is no reason why a group of foreign players can't be successful here even in league 2 however I think that overall we need them to be of better quality than what we have seen so far and they need to adapt to English life and League 2 life comfortably.

Missilou and Nepo are the only ones who I would call genuine successes, and even then I'm not worried about losing them this window to a bigger club unlike Surridge and potentially Edmondson.

Missile has had three good games. Less than Maouche has.

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

I think the problem is closer to home, the Premeir League and to some extent the big Championship clubs. They are that scared of missing out on a gem they are just becoming cattle markets for young player. They are buying parents, taking kids from 5 years old. By time they are 18 to 21 they are already millionaires. We can't afford em. So think we probably have little choice to look for journey men, foreign players and loans where the parent club pays 90% of the wage. 

It's all that crazy it might just work

20 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I think there is a valid non-xenophobic point about having 'too many' foreign players in the team. For me it's re the lack of knowledge and therefore connection. When you sign from another league club then there is a fair chance you will have seen the player in action, have a reasonable knowledge of his style and career, perhaps have a mate who supports his old club etc... 

With the imports we're looking at dubious YouTube videos and Wiki stats which really aren't the same at all. 

It's one of the reasons why the PL has just become entertainment for me; I don't care about a £40m player that I have never heard of before. 

If they're good enough and it works then great and they're very welcome but it does mean the connection is one step removed. 

Yes, this is the one.

7 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Hope you don’t apply that to other jobs. 

Foreigners in nursing, teaching, care support etc....

24 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Valid point but it’s not as if we haven’t signed “English” players this season too.

COG, Andy Taylor, Ish, Iverson, Lyden, Baxter, Giles Coke, Lang

And also, when was the last time we had two home grown players featuring regularly (and performing well regularly) in the starting 11?

Plenty of teams in the lower leagues have plenty of foreign players that play for them. Missilou has probably shown more passion for the shirt than half of the lower league journeymen we’ve signed in the past. Isn’t that what it’s all about?

3 minutes ago, OAFCBilly said:

Valid point but it’s not as if we haven’t signed “English” players this season too.

COG, Andy Taylor, Ish, Iverson, Lyden, Baxter, Giles Coke, Lang

And also, when was the last time we had two home grown players featuring regularly (and performing well regularly) in the starting 11?

Plenty of teams in the lower leagues have plenty of foreign players that play for them. Missilou has probably shown more passion for the shirt than half of the lower league journeymen we’ve signed in the past. Isn’t that what it’s all about?

Agree with all that, very difficult to say what is enough/too much because that question is all down to individuals and how well they do/how long they stay. 

Perhaps the biggest factor in losing the important feeling of connection is the rapid turnover of players and we all know that has been a problem for years and probably for most lower league clubs. 

9 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Hope you don’t apply that to other jobs. 

Foreigners in nursing, teaching, care support etc....

No but I'm able to make a distinction between the two.

For some people it is all about the result on a matchday and that's cool, personally I need a bit more depth to in terms of the bigger picture if you like to hold my interest.