Pre Season 2019

13 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

I would say three weeks before the Ernie Cooksey season and three weeks before the Steve Robinson season were far worse squads. Optimism, l find, is a personal thing, with scarification from those times affecting thought processes now. I think it is more your stomach for the fight which is low and this is a cumulative factor l have seen in a few fans this summer, which is sad.

Being naturally overly optimistic (which somehow translates as not having a nice word to say about anybody to a few of the weapons on here, not sure how that happens but that’s another story!!) l have a reasonable amount of [quite possibly misplaced] confidence that most of the first team are settled now and if we can start right then we can fly.

Flipside being that there is a large group of fans hoping we start badly so that they can instantly come wading in at the first mistake and recreate cewe away type poisonous atmospheres.

I think l’m more aprehensive at that prospect than l am about anything else.

Crewe away was thoroughly deserved, as to the point of fans hoping we start badly surely that can't be right. Even the most sceptical would want us to do well. 

2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Crewe away was thoroughly deserved, as to the point of fans hoping we start badly surely that can't be right. Even the most sceptical would want us to do well. 

I used to think like that but lve seen to many instances of fans who turn up itching to complain. There’s a few in the main stand and about ten dotted around halfway in the Lookers, especially that prick at the front with the embarrassed looking teenage lad with him. It really makes me sad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

I used to think like that but lve seen to many instances of fans who turn up itching to complain. There’s a few in the main stand and about ten dotted around halfway in the Lookers, especially that prick at the front with the embarrassed looking teenage lad with him. It really makes me sad.

I'll take your word for it, wankers. 

• Like 1

So the lad uptop number 9 was a trialist interesting.

He looked nothing like a footballer he looked like a singer in student band. gangly, ungainly, arms and leg like sticks but he was involved in all 4 goals. He won the pen for the 1st, scored the 2nd, played a nice ball round the corner for the 3rd, his shot was deflected for the 4th. He ran in behind well and he answered to the name "Cam" Don't want to build him up to being somekind of answer to our problems but he was interesting to watch I think we might give him another look.

Harry Robinson and Jack Williams got the 2nd 45 minutes Jack Williams had some nice touches you can tell he's got it. I overheard one of the young lads call him scouse Messi you can see why as he's small and urchin like but had good close control.

Talked to some Glossop fans who said they were quite happy with team they had. Whenever Ive seen us take on Glossop we've never won by that many so maybe thats a good sign. 

Did anyoneelse go?

Edited by GlossopLatic

12 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

So the lad uptop number 9 was a trialist interesting.

He looked nothing like a footballer he looked like a singer in student band. gangly, ungainly, arms and leg like sticks but he was involved in all 4 goals. He won the pen for the 1st, scored the 2nd, played a nice ball round the corner for the 3rd, his shot was deflected for the 4th. He ran in behind well and he answered to the name "Cam" Don't want to build him up to being somekind of answer to our problems but he was interesting to watch I think we might give him another look.

Harry Robinson and Jack Williams got the 2nd 45 minutes Jack Williams had some nice touches you can tell hes got it. I overheard one of the young lads call his scouse Messi you can see why hes small urchin like but had good close control.

Talked to some Glossop fans who said they were quite happy with team they had. Whenever Ive seen us take on Glossop we've never won by that many so maybe thats a good sign. 

Did anyoneelse go?

Yes.I was well impressed with the battling qualities against older players in the 2nd half particularly.We passed the ball around confidently from the back.Some good prospects there.

No 15 played well first half (best player on the night); the skinny striker took his goal well; No 14 looked like he had played but had forgot how to train; No 25 and the defence in general stuck at it when under pressure.

Their left back was energetic and made some good runs with no end product.

57 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

energetic and made some good runs with no end product.

We are usually good at getting those, Paul Edwards, Jermaine Johnson, Sidney Schmeltz all great at getting you off your seat till it sunk in that ultimately they would do rock all with it when it mattered 

Anyone seen any predictions in the press as to how our season's going to go?

Think Four Four Two magazine predicted we'd finish 24th last season. I'm guessing that won't have changed much this time around..

14 minutes ago, OAFC1984 said:

We are usually good at getting those, Paul Edwards, Jermaine Johnson, Sidney Schmeltz all great at getting you off your seat till it sunk in that ultimately they would do rock all with it when it mattered 

Paul Edwards turned out to be a decent fullback for us when he reverted to the back.

3 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

Paul Edwards turned out to be a decent fullback for us when he reverted to the back.

Apart from the most ludicrous back pass in history which MK dons ran on to score... Sponsors gave him MOTM as a piss take and he even acknowledged as much in the interview in the corner flag suite afterwards 😂😂 

It was an easy back pass too if hed used his right foot but he was more one legged than Long John Silver

Edited by OAFC1984

15 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Anyone seen any predictions in the press as to how our season's going to go?

Think Four Four Two magazine predicted we'd finish 24th last season. I'm guessing that won't have changed much this time around..

They are all based on meaningless guesswork.  Some of the ones I saw last year that had attached rationale were laughably wrong on just about everything they said.

On 7/16/2019 at 9:46 AM, disjointed said:

I used to think that would be the case but going into the season under Darren Kelly was enough to see a section of fans who blatantly wouldn't support the team, wanted him out from day one and was happy for us to lose. I remember at the Bradford home game thinking...what a terrible atmosphere. Didn't even get a "I'm a bastard" chant until injury time that day.

From those who want AL to go, there will be a small number that want him to prove them wrong and it work out but there will also be a section (more than those who want him to prove them wrong) who will want us to start off poorly so they can claim justification and push for protests. Shite state of affairs.

Edited by boundaryblue80
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

From those who want AL to go, there will be a small number that want him to prove them wrong and it work out but there will also be a section (more than those who want him to prove them wrong) who will want us to start off poorly so they can claim justification and push for protests. Shite state of affairs.

I would love it all to turn around and for us to become successful and i honestly couldn’t give a shit who was running the club if it meant we all went to games to watch a team assembled and managed well to entertain our long suffering fans..

In the case of AL i really cant see this happening, he has done nothing but harm the club both on and off the pitch since his arrival and we are all becoming sick of the negativity and absolute bollocks he speaks when things are going tits up, he cant keep blaming the previous regime although Corney was a twat..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fleetwood Blue said:

I would love it all to turn around and for us to become successful and i honestly couldn’t give a shit who was running the club if it meant we all went to games to watch a team assembled and managed well to entertain our long suffering fans..

In the case of AL i really cant see this happening, he has done nothing but harm the club both on and off the pitch since his arrival and we are all becoming sick of the negativity and absolute bollocks he speaks when things are going tits up, he cant keep blaming the previous regime although Corney was a twat..

Perhaps he is trying to out twat Corney. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, disjointed said:

Perhaps he is trying to out twat Corney. 

3 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Would take some doing that.... but he’s made a wonderful start.....

We were relegated to the "4th division" under AL. Things are far worse now than ever they were under Corney.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

We were relegated to the "4th division" under AL. Things are far worse now than ever they were under Corney.

League position isn’t the only measure.... we were close to administration under Corney - we may not be far off with Marco either (we don’t know the relative health of club’s finances as he doesn’t submit them)....  but there is a scenario whereby the finances are now better and that would mean - regardless of league position & the dubious transfer policy being employed - things are not worse.

1 minute ago, lookersstandandy said:

League position isn’t the only measure.... we were close to administration under Corney - we may not be far off with Marco either (we don’t know the relative health of club’s finances as he doesn’t submit them)....  but there is a scenario whereby the finances are now better and that would mean - regardless of league position & the dubious transfer policy being employed - things are not worse.

Right........ we've just witnessed some of the most drab football in years (last season) with teams that wouldn't look out of place in a pub league - and we were still miles off being good enough. It looks like civil war is looming between the owner and the FLG (and Lord knows what the consequences of that will be), we've treated loyal club servants like Peter Clarke in an appalling manner, witnessed an ever faster management merry go round, season ticket sales are down, you can't sit in our shiny new stand for pre-season friendlies (and let's see what happens when the season starts!)........... I could go on and on but it's ok.... I`ll take your word that things are better.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wiseowl said:

Right........ we've just witnessed some of the most drab football in years (last season) with teams that wouldn't look out of place in a pub league - and we were still miles off being good enough. It looks like civil war is looming between the owner and the FLG (and Lord knows what the consequences of that will be), we've treated loyal club servants like Peter Clarke in an appalling manner, witnessed an ever faster management merry go round, season ticket sales are down, you can't sit in our shiny new stand for pre-season friendlies (and let's see what happens when the season starts!)........... I could go on and on but it's ok.... I`ll take your word that things are better.

Do you know anything of my posting history on here?

12 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Do you know anything of my posting history on here?

1 minute ago, mcfluff1985 said:

He definitely doesn't 😂😂😂

I`m assuming it's all "tongue in cheek" by andy then? If so, I took the bait 😉