Protests

2 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

Strange concept to go and watch Latics for entertainment. I thought that was a nineties thing. 

One of the reasons I watch Latics is for entertainment I see supporting us as a form of escapism from normal life. I don't expect us to win every game I just expect us to be the best we can be, are we best we can be right now? Nowhere near. 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

So I went to the player’s entrance yesterday to see the ‘Protest’...

Twenty or so fans with one banner reading ‘Support the team not the regime’. Nice slogan 👍 

They were also chanting ‘Sack the Board’ which of course makes no sense at all as the Board comprises the very people who make up the regime - Which begs the question ‘who can sack the Board’? Well the owners actually,  which they patently will not do.

Another question: how do we ‘support the team’ if we boycott the match? 

So if the plan is to hit the owner financially then doesn’t that mean that there will be less money to bring in the ‘striker’ we desperately need?

And if fans just go to Away games are they not putting money in the pockets of our rivals?

So many questions and no real answers forthcoming. 

Time for the FLG to step up and provide a coordinated focal point.  

How do you expect fans to show their dissatisfaction?

See far as I can see you have 2 options 1 you can protest shout sack the board tell the owner to leave or you can boycott/stay away.

Now with regards to the protest it was a fairly small number but they did it peacefully their wasn't any trouble I have no problem with that why shouldn't they show that they are unhappy. Others have chosen it is their decision

its not upto you me or anyonelse to tell them otherwise. Its not North Korea its a democracy.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

So I went to the player’s entrance yesterday to see the ‘Protest’...

Twenty or so fans with one banner reading ‘Support the team not the regime’. Nice slogan 👍 

They were also chanting ‘Sack the Board’ which of course makes no sense at all as the Board comprises the very people who make up the regime - Which begs the question ‘who can sack the Board’? Well the owners actually,  which they patently will not do.

Another question: how do we ‘support the team’ if we boycott the match? 

So if the plan is to hit the owner financially then doesn’t that mean that there will be less money to bring in the ‘striker’ we desperately need?

And if fans just go to Away games are they not putting money in the pockets of our rivals?

So many questions and no real answers forthcoming. 

Time for the FLG to step up and provide a coordinated focal point.  

A lot of over-thinking there.

The "sack the board" chant is fairly clear to me - the board aren't wanted here. It works. No need for pedantry. 

A new striker, at best, will paper over the cracks. I'd rather get rid of the owner than get a striker. 

As for giving money to our rivals, that won't be much in the grand scheme of things. People should be free to support the team. 

The fans need to come together and decide wholesale what they're doing - either attend and protest or boycott completely. A few hundred non attendees yesterday doesn't seem like a strong enough message. Were they actually boycotting or just couldn't be arsed going?

Firstly Kudos to those who protested yesterday...from small acorns.  

Apologies for length of post but media interest fuelled by the demise of Bury means now is the time for others to pick up the baton.  We need local and national media to start asking questions and turn up the spotlight on Mr Lemsagam (I’m refraining from insulting the bloke now by calling him the Clown. We’re all adults, and it’s now at a stage that serious action is needed immediately from all sides of the table);

Debt & operational running costs

1. Is the debt now clear?  If not, what remains and what plans are in place to address this (and timescales)?

2. Are all ongoing running costs and financial liabilities now being settled on time?

3. Have you addressed the pension liabilities for your current and ex-employees?

4. Why are you reluctant to provide a transparent and full financial account for the club?

5. Why is there a reluctance to talk to the FLG if, based on statements issued publicly by the FLG, the club will benefit financially once rent is deducted from income?

6. Would you agree to a cross table meeting with the FLG and the Trust to agree a solid future for the club?  All three parties purport to want the club to succeed on and off the pitch so what is the harm.  If not, why not?

7. Home attendances are reducing, ST sales have declined.  An urgent response is needed as opposed to, in your words, “slowly, slowly”.  Do you not agree that strengthening the team, delivering attractive, committed and prolific football will boost attendances?  Granted recruitment may be hamstrung by finances so this emphasises again Point 5.

Team Recruitment & Selection

8. What % of the budget remains to strengthen the team further?

9. Do you honestly believe that recent recruitment is enhancing what we already have?  If not, what are you doing to address this?

10. Do you honestly believe Vera and Sefil are the standard at this level, let alone your plan to secure League 1 (and Championship football)?

11. Do you not agree that the squad needs two strikers and the current squad is unable to generate the goals needed to secure wins to deliver your promise of promotion(s)?

12. Mr Banide is Head Coach and will you place in record his role and responsibilities?  Yesterday he remained in the touch line around halftime when the team was 0-1 down.  Who conducted the team talk?

13. Current performance is strongly suggesting a struggle on the pitch when we should be fighting, for the off-field future of the club, at the top of the table.  Should it not therefore be considered, even at this early stage, that a more traditional model of an experienced lower league manager who has full autonomy over recruitment and selection is appointed instead?

Taking all the above into consideration and the increasing dissatisfaction of the fan base; closing question -

Would you be open to place the club for sale with immediate effect and actively support the inclusion of the Trust and FLG to deliver this?

Ask similar questions to the FLG - what are your objectives outside of running the OEC and ultimately owning the land.  If Mr Lemsagam continues to reject your offer, what next?  Would you be open to purchasing the club from Mr Lemsagam or, on receipt  of a sale price, assist in networking to facilitate a sale?

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

A lot of over-thinking there.

The "sack the board" chant is fairly clear to me - the board aren't wanted here. It works. No need for pedantry. 

Still doesn’t make any sense though does it? Rather ‘Lemsagam out’ or similar.

A new striker, at best, will paper over the cracks. I'd rather get rid of the owner than get a striker. 

A new striker can happen quickly, whereas getting rid of the owner will take time.

As for giving money to our rivals, that won't be much in the grand scheme of things. People should be free to support the team. 

People should be free to support the team at home and away.

The fans need to come together and decide wholesale what they're doing hence my point about a focal point - either attend and protest or boycott completely. A few hundred non attendees yesterday doesn't seem like a strong enough message. Were they actually boycotting or just couldn't be arsed going?

‘Either attend and protest or boycott completely’ you say? But in your previous paragraph you say ‘People should be free to support the team’.  🤔

Not overthinking just asking questions.

2 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Debt & operational running costs

1. Is the debt now clear?  If not, what remains and what plans are in place to address this (and timescales)?

2. Are all ongoing running costs and financial liabilities now being settled on time?

3. Have you addressed the pension liabilities for your current and ex-employees?

4. Why are you reluctant to provide a transparent and full financial account for the club?

5. Why is there a reluctance to talk to the FLG if, based on statements issued publicly by the FLG, the club will benefit financially once rent is deducted from income?

6. Would you agree to a cross table meeting with the FLG and the Trust to agree a solid future for the club?  All three parties purport to want the club to succeed on and off the pitch so what is the harm.  If not, why not?

7. Home attendances are reducing, ST sales have declined.  An urgent response is needed as opposed to, in your words, “slowly, slowly”.  Do you not agree that strengthening the team, delivering attractive, committed and prolific football will boost attendances?  Granted recruitment may be hamstrung by finances so this emphasises again Point 5.

Hello Midsblue

The Trust published an August review before the match yesterday. There was a part with regards to our September targets and I was unsure if you have seen it.

I have copied them below so you can see that we are singing from the same Hymn sheet with regards to some of your questions: 

Thanks

Our Future.

Ultimately, we all want to see our Club successful on and off the pitch and under the guidance of a sound board of directors. We want current Latics fans to feel secure in our home, and we want to ensure that Boundary Park is handed down as a football legacy to future generations of our fans.

To build on this, we have set ourselves some objectives for September that we would like to share with you below:

Meetings between the Club and fans as required by EFL Rules. 

We will be asking the Club again to confirm dates for this season. We understand plans are in place for this to happen in the not too distant future. This will help fans with questions for the Club and to have them answered face to face.

Trust to get up to date information from Club on:

• Debentures that are still registered at Companies House.
  • Access to SCMP (Salary Cost Management Protocol) submitted to the EFL pre-season.
  • Historic pension problems and possible financial consequences.
  • Continuing insight into the situation between the Club and the OEC regarding the North Stand.
  • Continuing clarity of the situation between Brass bank Limited and the Club regarding the land and stadium.
  • Confirmation of next Club board meeting.
  • Darren and Philippa (retired accountant) to review the full up to date accounts, cash-flow forecast and SCMP mentioned above.

Football Supporter's Association.

As members, we have access to a wealth of knowledge from their experiences of working with other EFL Clubs, Trusts and fans. This support gives the Trust peace of mind that we are not alone as supporters. We have arranged to meet the new regional representative and we will be discussing the following:

1. Trust progress with Owner and Club:  Ensuring we are asking the right questions and getting the correct information we are legally entitled to have at board level. To ensure as an organisation ourselves that we are following good governance and doing things in a correct manner.
  2. Access to funding streams: The FSA have helped various Clubs with regards to fan/community funding initiatives. We hope they can help the Trust to think outside the box when it comes to raising funds. Whether for asset acquisition or other fan-funded ideas.
  3. Clubs in Crisis: This is a group that has been recently created by the FSA to look at the challenges that face all football clubs. Although we do not class ourselves in this category, we need to be open to learn from what has gone wrong elsewhere. This is relevant given the situation with our neighbours over not just the past few weeks, but months too.  We will also be developing contacts with other Clubs and sharing experiences across the EFL Leagues.

With regards to you other part: 

Ask similar questions to the FLG - what are your objectives outside of running the OEC and ultimately owning the land.  If Mr Lemsagam continues to reject your offer, what next?  Would you be open to purchasing the club from Mr Lemsagam or, on receipt  of a sale price, assist in networking to facilitate a sale?

I know I there are a couple of posts with regards to CLub/Land

Club is NOT for sale

Our home, BP the stadium and land it sits on IS for sale. The owner did attempt to buy it and make us whole but a deal could not be reached

The FLG stepped up and have stated their interest is securing our home. They would become our landlords. This would secure a stadium in the borough of Oldham and we hope, to have OAFC 2004 playing in it at least until 2031. If not OAFC 2004 (our club) then at least a stadium for an alternate.

The FLG stated in their July roll out they hope to generate  1/2 million for the Club per season. The shareholders of the FLG would have a say on what the money would be spent on. 

Cheers

30 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

But doesn’t it also help pay the wages of all of the players and all of the staff too? Think of it that way.

Wouldn't pay most of them in washers.

This 'starving the club of money if you don't go' rhetoric is bollocks when you see what they are doing.

59 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

People should be free to support the team at home and away

Well, yeah, but you were just talking about away games..

Of course it's up to the individual to do what they want, but if there's going to be some sort of stand, it would be useful if we could get everyone on the same page. Blindly turning up every week, grumbling about the pies and Vera, then shuffling off home again seems a bit passive.

30 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

and not answered my question how do you expect them to show their dissatisfaction?

Strange question - they show their dissatisfaction by doing exactly what they did do. And they have the right to do so. I was simply questioning the effectiveness of what they are doing.

In my opinion, If the protest is going to be effective then it needs an individual or group with the financial means to step forward and lead a coordinated effort.

12 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Serious question - what did the Orient and Notts County fans do as their incompetent owners saw them slide out of the league? Anything or nothing? And if the former, did it make any difference?

Who knows?  It's a long term game; Orient are on the up.

2 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Serious question - what did the Orient and Notts County fans do as their incompetent owners saw them slide out of the league? Anything or nothing? And if the former, did it make any difference?

I was thinking about this on the drive home from the game. I know Bob Mills was all over talkSPORT about orient, weather that had an impact on bringing interest in the club I’m not sure. The big difference with both those clubs though is they had owners who wanted rid. We have an owner who is basking in his own incompetence and I suspect would rather cheese grate his own knees than walk away. 

Sorry if it’s already been mentioned but I saw tweet earlier suggesting a one-game mass protest in the form of non-attendance. So we pick a match in the coming weeks/month and decide which one we are best off not attending. 

Of course you’ll always have a few that will still go regardless, but given the disdain fans have at the way the club is being run these days and the situation now appearing in the media the time to strike is now whilst the iron is hot.

Imagine one home league game in Sept/Oct where the attendance is in the low hundreds for instance? I don’t think you could send a stronger message.

7 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

Sorry if it’s already been mentioned but I saw tweet earlier suggesting a one-game mass protest in the form of non-attendance. So we pick a match in the coming weeks/month and decide which one we are best off not attending. 

Of course you’ll always have a few that will still go regardless, but given the disdain fans have at the way the club is being run these days and the situation now appearing in the media the time to strike is now whilst the iron is hot.

Imagine one home league game in Sept/Oct where the attendance is in the low hundreds for instance? I don’t think you could send a stronger message.

Tuesday 8th. Shitty trophy game.... and I’m away on a little late holiday catching some sun.

I reckon you could actually achieve a zero attendance for that. 

😁

6 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Tuesday 8th. Shitty trophy game.... and I’m away on a little late holiday catching some sun.

I reckon you could actually achieve a zero attendance for that. 

😁

League game would have much more impact.

Archived