Grimsby (H)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

plenty of goals in their fixtures so far and they have racked up a few good wins by the look of it. cant see it being 0-0 although i think we will be a little defensive, hopefully big wheats can keep them at bay and we can grab ourself one oursleves as we need to start picking points up at home. looking forward to it actually which is a first for this season

My 4 year old grandson is attending his first ever football match, and my eldest daughter is at her first league 2 game ( she’s only ever seen league 1),and they are really excited........I don’t want to be bad Grandad at 5pm on Saturday 

20 minutes ago, SAV said:

My 4 year old grandson is attending his first ever football match, and my eldest daughter is at her first league 2 game ( she’s only ever seen league 1),and they are really excited........I don’t want to be bad Grandad at 5pm on Saturday 

You won’t be - we’ll win. 😎

7 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

We have to stop James Hanson who I imagine will spend most of his time playing on Iacovitti, he will go where Wheater isn't. Therefore we have to stop the supply line to him.

The other problem is our abysmal forwards not sure how to solve that problem though.

I am a ST Holder who lives in Lincolnshire and works with Town fans.  Grimsby have moved from their normal passing game to a more direct "long ball" approach following the signing of James Hanson.  This has proved successful in their opening fixtures.  Crewe had done their homework on them and stopped Hanson playing and went back with three points.  If Wheater does a job on him we have a good chance of winning this one.

2 minutes ago, Whitts said:

I am a ST Holder who lives in Lincolnshire and works with Town fans.  Grimsby have moved from their normal passing game to a more direct "long ball" approach following the signing of James Hanson.  This has proved successful in their opening fixtures.  Crewe had done their homework on them and stopped Hanson playing and went back with three points.  If Wheater does a job on him we have a good chance of winning this one.

I was actually impressed with Alex Lacovitti at Plymouth, he battled well with there number 9 and was up for the fight. Also showed a lot of passion when Wheater scored. I was very critical of him, still stand by he’s a dreadful left back, but he was very good against Plymouth. Nep at left back, Hamer with Morais infront of him and we might start to look more solid. 

26 minutes ago, Whitts said:

Surely they don't use Hanson to chase down long punts. He's not much quicker than Vera. Mind you he has more control.

3 hours ago, Whitts said:

As I said Hanson will go where Wheater isn't and it would be abit naive to think that its just a case of putting wheater on him. If he did Man mark Hanson then he would likely get pulled all over the place and our defensive shape would fall to pieces as gaps would appear everywhere.

What we have to do is stop balls coming into the box and also at set pieces stop him getting a run on the ball because if we allow him to attack the ball from a cross we are in trouble.

What would really help is if we kept the ball for long periods which would starve him of service but again thats another weakness we can't keep possesion for long enough but if both Eagles and Morais play then this will again probably help. The other thing that might help is more height in the backline so a backline of Hamer Wheater Iacovitti and Stott atleast gives us some form of aerial presence.

We have played against him before and handled him so its not like hes unplayable its just we have done so with better players.

11 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Where has this bizzare notion that nepo can play left back come from? The last thing that lad wants to do is defend.

He played there last year and was decent. 

He played there in the two recent Curaçao games. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

As I said Hanson will go where Wheater isn't and it would be abit naive to think that its just a case of putting wheater on him. If he did Man mark Hanson then he would likely get pulled all over the place and our defensive shape would fall to pieces as gaps would appear everywhere.

What we have to do is stop balls coming into the box and also at set pieces stop him getting a run on the ball because if we allow him to attack the ball from a cross we are in trouble.

What would really help is if we kept the ball for long periods which would starve him of service but again thats another weakness we can't keep possesion for long enough but if both Eagles and Morais play then this will again probably help. The other thing that might help is more height in the backline so a backline of Hamer Wheater Iacovitti and Stott atleast gives us some form of aerial presence.

We have played against him before and handled him so its not like hes unplayable its just we have done so with better players.

Keep him deep, he won't be a problem then, we tend to sit back though most of the time allowing crosses to come over - and that will suit him down to the ground. 

Lets hope the manager had someone watching the Crewe game,

Hi guys

Grimsby fan here. Use to spend the weekend in Oldham in days gone by when we played you. Remember a place called "The Bees Knees".

Crewe were the best footballing side we've seen at Blundell Park for many years. They kept the ball, moved it around with purpose. We couldn't get near them. Most teams are going to struggle against them.

We tend to sit back and let teams have the ball in front of us, and catch teams on the break. Hanson is a handful, but we have goalscorers throughout the team. Watch out for Moses Ogbu, he's a real handful on the ball, unpredictable, but beats players for fun. Green upfront has scored goals at this level. At the back we are solid, and Macca in goal is a great shot stopper. We have a youth team player making a name for himself at center half, Mattie Pollock. His dad played with Wheater at Middlesbrough.

Here's hoping for a good game Saturday,

All the best.

Mimma.

Archived