Five signings today?

17 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

How do you work that out? Not even played a game for us yet.

Just feel that the type of players that these are will see us fight and in fairness probably win a relegation scrap but not do much more than that looking at their career trajectories.

Sometimes I'm right Sometimes I'm wrong. I thought we'd finish 18th last season We did. I thought Bahamboula would be rubbish I was wrong.

Still let's see who else gets signed.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

These 5 signings say relegation scrap.

I probably wouldn't go as far as that, but it feels like they have been massively overhyped by the fan base. 2 released by Scunny, one released by the basement club in the EFL, never heard of the keeper but everyone is raving (all seems very "Gary Woods" to me), Hope has decent pedigree but has big boots to fill in McAleny...

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

I probably wouldn't go as far as that, but it feels like they have been massively overhyped by the fan base. 2 released by Scunny, one released by the basement club in the EFL, never heard of the keeper but everyone is raving (all seems very "Gary Woods" to me), Hope has decent pedigree but has big boots to fill in McAleny...

McAleny for all his goals disappeared for long periods in most of his games. Swindon fans praise Hope for his ability and work rate. 

Besides there are more to come who will be far better than those we let go.

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

McAleny for all his goals disappeared for long periods in most of his games. Swindon fans praise Hope for his ability and work rate. 

Besides there are more to come who will be far better than those we let go.

But a lot less goals...

29 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Apologies to Sam Hart - seems like he rejected a new deal at Southend...

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Just feel that the type of players that these are will see us fight and in fairness probably win a relegation scrap but not do much more than that looking at their career trajectories.

Sometimes I'm right Sometimes I'm wrong. I thought we'd finish 18th last season We did. I thought Bahamboula would be rubbish I was wrong.

Still let's see who else gets signed.

You never know. 

Hamer and CBJ were hammered on here. Both have gone a division higher. 

At the very least hope magehay and the keeper either have good pedigree or are highly thought of. The other two look more of a punt, but as the first sentence suggests a move can reignite a player. 

8 minutes ago, johnboy said:

latics22.robinson started into july with only 4 players.he had to bring in players pdq.the difference now is robinson got 3rd /4th picks.curle has signed 1st/2nd picks.ie assuming better players.

Pointless reply. He doesn't compute truth, logic or common sense. He idolises Simon Corney as a god and glorifies war criminals as 'Heroes'.

23 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Add Whelan, Adams, Baha, Dearnely and maybe Keillor Dunn, do we have a half decent squad already ? 

YES. and a manager in place way before pre season.

l think that's what's leading to positive postings from fans. Doing a basic is viewed as exciting, shows how far under TTAssettstrippers have dragged us.

Things I like about these signings:

Their former club's fans aren't saying they are bad players. This is often very telling. Swindon fans didn't rate Hope much, but that was more at the League One level. He was a consistent performer under Curle for Carlisle at this level.

Save for Clarke, who came through to play his hometown Coventry, all have been attached to top clubs at youth level. This is something we saw last season, with Whelan, McAleny, as well as loans from top clubs. Having this in common across a lot of the squad is a decent policy IMO.

Hope, Hart and McGahey are all returning to their native North-West England, which as well as making them feel more comfortable, helps the fans feel more attached to the team. This, of course, is one of the many reasons fans feel a big disconnect with OAFC in general these days.

That sense of attachment is also helped by lower squad turnover, and all the players, save again for Clarke, having at least having an option to still be with us until 2023, is good news.

All the players have a clear position they are going to fill in the current team, whereas in recent years we've seen players arrive who play in positions we already had numbers for, seemingly just because the Sporting Director liked them rather than for the service they could provide to the current team.

All in all, encouraging.

1 hour ago, Wednesday said:

Same way you told us they were exactly what we need ?

I haven't seen Messi or Ronaldo live, but can still form an opinion that they are better than what we had.

You might differ of course as is your right.

Archived