Abdallah looking to sell!

1 hour ago, Mercater said:

Dealerships are now taking crypto along with other high end producers. Of course there would be fees involved with monetising it so it is not what you want to do as you would be losing money all ways.

But say you wanted to build a load of stuff and the contractor dealt in crypto, wher ethey got immediate payment without fees.

Basically I think he is about being ahead of the curve. Like when we all didn't like the idea of contactless payments, or payment wallets. I rejected the idea initially, but in the last 12mths the only time Ive used cash is in the chippy on a Friday night

What's a payment wallet? I have a wallet in my back sack I assume its not the same. 

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, disjointed said:

What's a payment wallet? I have a wallet in my back sack I assume its not the same. 

So, like amazon pay, paypal. you use an app on your smartphone or smatwatch to make a contactless payment from held funds within that virtual account

It is cash because it is linked to your debit or credit card it just gives you more options in the item you pay with.

Christ I'm impressing myself now. If only I had the charisma to work in banking or accountancy

2 minutes ago, Mercater said:

It is cash because it is linked to your debit or credit card it just gives you more options in the item you pay with.

Christ I'm impressing myself now. If only I had the charisma to work in banking or accountancy

If I haven't got enough in my pocket I don't buy it. Old school I know. 

Just now, disjointed said:

If I haven't got enough in my pocket I don't buy it. Old school I know. 

I'm the same, but now I don't look in my pocket wallet anymore (I always carry it with £10 in) I check my bank account every morning. The only loans I've ever had are a mortgage and a car finance. If I need it I learnt a long time ago I can do without until I have saved enough, by which time you probably realise you don't need it anyway.

I don't use this tech stuff (yet) but say I forgot my wallet while just going for a walk and wanted a sandwich. I could pay for it with my phone.

I might actually be getting to believe this stuff.

25 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Cheers, I prefer good old cash. 

Do you never use your card or your phone etc to pay “in cash” but contactless and never seeing actual cash ? 
It is perfectly possible to live life without physical cash. Why would it matter if it was pounds Sterling or Bitcoin?

This is where people who are “passionate” about cryptocurrency want to move things. I’m guessing this is where Mr Lees is heading. So you can buy tickets and merchandise and a pie with Bitcoin.  Suddenly Oldham becomes a trailblazer with all the football fans into Bitcoin. 

6 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Do you never use your card or your phone etc to pay “in cash” but contactless and never seeing actual cash ? 
It is perfectly possible to live life without physical cash. Why would it matter if it was pounds Sterling or Bitcoin?

This is where people who are “passionate” about cryptocurrency want to move things. I’m guessing this is where Mr Lees is heading. So you can buy tickets and merchandise and a pie with Bitcoin.  Suddenly Oldham becomes a trailblazer with all the football fans into Bitcoin. 

Pies with bitcoin! Let's stop right there, this thing has gone far enough. 

Chris Lees' expertise in bitcoin is a little beside the point. What we need to know (and may or may not ascertain ahead of, during or immediately after a sale to his consortium) is whether or not he will be a genuine, long-term and sensible owner of our club. He's making all the right noises and at the moment that is all we can hope for.

I wouldn't speculate in bitcoin or any other digital currency myself - it's a huge gamble in terms of its intrinsic value - but there is no doubt that, unless regulators ban it, it's here to stay. Blockchain technology has several undeniable benefits, and NFTs are now commonplace in the art world. If Chris Lees is serious about committing a percentage of club assets to bitcoin then a 10% limit sounds pretty sensible in terms of asset diversification provided the guy is as experienced as he sounds. But as I say these issues are a sideshow compared to the question of whether he is a fit and proper owner, to use that hallowed phrase.

As for "illicit" vs "elicit", maybe it was an Oldham Times typo, rather than his!

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

If the Twitter account on the BPAS thread is actually him we need to keep him well away

Call me old fashioned but I'd be more inclined to move forward with one of the other groups who've apparently signed NDAs with the club and not said anything at all! (Enjoyed the podcast though).

I did meet him briefly. but can't tell much from that apart from he came across as just a keen supporter of the club. It will be interesting to see who are the others in the 'consortium.'  we may have a better idea then where this is going.

10 hours ago, PeteG said:

So called fan - his last game before Saturday was the 1994 FA Cup Semi Final replay. I understand he's not been in the country a great deal but stated his mother lives locally so i'd have thought as a fan he might have managed to get to the odd game in the previous 28 years.

He's not missed much... 

On 3/3/2022 at 3:31 PM, Dave_Og said:

The FTSE 100 isn't especially relevant for the very wealthy given it is a relatively small part of global market cap.  It is an obsolete index which give no great guide to anything

Getting off topic I suppose (but then this is owtb!) but it's hardly an obsolete index. For one thing many UK pension funds invest in it via tracker funds. Of course it has hugely underperformed the S&P500 in recent years, partly due to Brexit uncertainty but more fundamentally because the FTSE100 hasn't had growth/IT stocks like Apple, Microsoft etc in its ranks.

It remains a decent way of getting exposure to world class international companies (whereas the FTSE250 Index is more representative of the UK economy and (ironically) has regularly outperformed the FTSE100 over the years) and is extremely cheap in valuation terms because of its underperformance compared to US and European indices. It has outperformed the US YTD (though of course two and a bit months is nothing) and with the rotation out of growth stocks to value/defensive sectors, may finally be coming back into popularity. For a sterling based investor it remains a good long-term option.

5 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Getting off topic I suppose (but then this is owtb!) but it's hardly an obsolete index. For one thing many UK pension funds invest in it via tracker funds. Of course it has hugely underperformed the S&P500 in recent years, partly due to Brexit uncertainty but more fundamentally because the FTSE100 hasn't had growth/IT stocks like Apple, Microsoft etc in its ranks.

It remains a decent way of getting exposure to world class international companies (whereas the FTSE250 Index is more representative of the UK economy and (ironically) has regularly outperformed the FTSE100 over the years) and is extremely cheap in valuation terms because of its underperformance compared to US and European indices. It has outperformed the US YTD (though of course two and a bit months is nothing) and with the rotation out of growth stocks to value/defensive sectors, may finally be coming back into popularity. For a sterling based investor it remains a good long-term option.

Bit selective. 

US markets have smashed it over the last 20 years and particularly over recent years for one very good reason.. 75% of meaningful tech companies (i.e. the future) are based there. The rotation away from growth to value has particularly affected tech and therefore the US markets, but that is temporary. FTSE 100 can give you a reasonable dividend… but don’t count on much growth. 

7 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

But unfortunately it is presented - by BBC news among others - as being representative of something which it isn't . 

I've seen a lot of material saying it's low risk because it's diversified but that's nonsense as its concentration in certain sectors is very significant. It can have its place in a well diversified portfolio (like the evidence based models my firm runs - give me a call!)) but far too often it is seen as a standalone portfolio, which is horrible and unsuitable for just about everybody.  I very much doubt that a lot of investors realise that it exposes them to Czech cyber security firms, Chilean copper miners, South African commodity firm sand a Russian (!) precious metals producer.

And for sterling based investors, having most of their dividend income dollar related is an additional risk factor

18 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Good luck with that. You will soon be using Central Bank Digital Currency. Inevitable. Programmable. Controllable.

I don't even know what that is, as long as there are areas of no Internet coverage, cash is here to stay. 

19 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Good luck with that. You will soon be using Central Bank Digital Currency. Inevitable. Programmable. Controllable.

Whatever happened to the good old bartering system?

8 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

But unfortunately it is presented - by BBC news among others - as being representative of something which it isn't . 

I've seen a lot of material saying it's low risk because it's diversified but that's nonsense as its concentration in certain sectors is very significant. It can have its place in a well diversified portfolio (like the evidence based models my firm runs - give me a call!)) but far too often it is seen as a standalone portfolio, which is horrible and unsuitable for just about everybody.  I very much doubt that a lot of investors realise that it exposes them to Czech cyber security firms, Chilean copper miners, South African commodity firm sand a Russian (!) precious metals producer.

And for sterling based investors, having most of their dividend income dollar related is an additional risk factor

Metal shares have gone through the roof, did you see that coming Dave?

Archived