MATCH: vs Bristol Rovers (H) 08/02/22

6 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

I went in hope more than expectation last night as they are a team in decent form and they played good football, from the first minute what stood out was how well drilled we were as unit if a player was dragged out of position they then bust a gut  to get back in to position, the workmate was incredible.

We also played some good attacking football and could of scored 2 or 3 more goals, it was fantastic the buzz back at Boundary Pack even the main stand was singing, going out of the ground we could still hear singing coming out of the car park.

We salute you Shezza you have give the supporters of Oldham hope again and if we have the same work rate, desire & discipline for the rest of the season we will stay in the football league.

🍾 ❤️ 👏:comeon:

Good off the bench...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, south east latic said:

Best performance of the season last night - to a man, the players were excellent. Fight, desire and some genuine bits of quality play. Could, and should have been more.

Great crowd and vocal backing again - great to have the buzz back at BP.

One not-so-good thing though. Before kick off, about 30 of our morons (all kids) came up to the Brewers Fayre pub trying to start fights with Bristol Rovers fans having a drink. I also read on social media that a group of 8-10 away fans got jumped by presumably the same group after the game. The pub had to shut after the game due to the trouble. Not sure what the answer is but I don’t want dickheads like that anywhere near BP.

Perhaps the same morons who again threw bottle onto the pitch or the children who kept the ball when it went in the JF stand ?

The ref chose not to add much additional time on this occasion but another could add excessive minutes om to prove a point.

He also had a pretty good game. not falling for defenders throwing themselves to the ground to "earn" a free kick. If only his linesman was up to the job we could have had a more relaxed final minutes !

10 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Perhaps the same morons who again threw bottle onto the pitch or the children who kept the ball when it went in the JF stand ?

The ref chose not to add much additional time on this occasion but another could add excessive minutes om to prove a point.

He also had a pretty good game. not falling for defenders throwing themselves to the ground to "earn" a free kick. If only his linesman was up to the job we could have had a more relaxed final minutes !

Possibly. Throwing bottles is unacceptable full stop. The keeping of the ball is fairly harmless but whoever threw it onto the pitch during a Latics attack is obviously hard of thinking. Imagine if we’d scored and the ref had blown up because there was another ball on the pitch. 

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

How on earth did it come out again?? 

When the ball hits the underside of the bar at force it puts reverse spin on the ball so when it hits the ground it comes back slightly in the opposite direction, even more so if the ball has reverse spin on it after it’s struck by the player.

41 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I thought the officials last night were poor - missing far too much that should have been penalised.

27 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

When the ball hits the underside of the bar at force it puts reverse spin on the ball so when it hits the ground it comes back slightly in the opposite direction, even more so if the ball has reverse spin on it after it’s struck by the player.

It also hit the plastic that holds the net

19 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

Spin.  Hit the bar with pace and put spin on it.

It really was extremely similar to the "goal" that Nicky Henry scored in the replay of the FA Cup semi final v Man U. And sadly it brought that memory back for me (I'm still trying to let go of that one). 

Here's a perfect summary from Wikipedia: During Oldham's 1989-90 FA Cup run, Henry was at the centre of a little-noticed incident which may have changed the course of footballing history. During the FA Cup semi-final replay against Manchester United, with the scores level, Henry's long range shot cannoned against the cross-bar and appeared, from television pictures, to have crossed the goal line before bouncing back out into play. No goal was given, and Manchester United went on to win the tie with a goal from Mark Robins. Had Henry's goal been given and Oldham gone on to win the match, it is highly possible, if contemporaneous press speculation were to be believed, that Alex Ferguson would have been sacked as manager of Manchester United, after another trophy-less season in which his team were languishing in mid-table of the (then) First Division. Had this happened, the shift in the balance of footballing power towards Manchester United following the introduction of Sky Sports and the inception of the Premier League may never have happened.

Not enjoyed coming out of BP that much for a long time.

Best 1 to 11 performance from this squad all season - so many players that I (and many others) had regular questioned whether they were of the quality that could compete in League 2, proved me wrong last night.  We were organised, we pressed, we didn't let them settle on the ball beyond their third (and regularly in that area too).  We looked like a threat throughout the 90 minutes and I think we were unfortunate to only win 2-1.  Defensively we looked strong for the most past (the goal looked avoidable when I saw it live).

I was glad to have Sheze back, and whilst my heart was hopeful, my head thought that it was a forlorn hope.  The squad, the points position, the embargo etc was too much of a hurdle to get over.    Rochdale and Scunthorpe didn't change that feeling deep down - Rochdale we looked toothless and Scunthorpe was a late scrappy win against arguably the only team worse than us, so not a great barometer.

Bristol Rovers are a team in good form, and a squad and manager that is a good marker of the standard League 2 standard.  Last night showed we can compete.

19 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

It really was extremely similar to the "goal" that Nicky Henry scored in the replay of the FA Cup semi final v Man U. And sadly it brought that memory back for me (I'm still trying to let go of that one). 

Here's a perfect summary from Wikipedia: During Oldham's 1989-90 FA Cup run, Henry was at the centre of a little-noticed incident which may have changed the course of footballing history. During the FA Cup semi-final replay against Manchester United, with the scores level, Henry's long range shot cannoned against the cross-bar and appeared, from television pictures, to have crossed the goal line before bouncing back out into play. No goal was given, and Manchester United went on to win the tie with a goal from Mark Robins. Had Henry's goal been given and Oldham gone on to win the match, it is highly possible, if contemporaneous press speculation were to be believed, that Alex Ferguson would have been sacked as manager of Manchester United, after another trophy-less season in which his team were languishing in mid-table of the (then) First Division. Had this happened, the shift in the balance of footballing power towards Manchester United following the introduction of Sky Sports and the inception of the Premier League may never have happened.

Wheres that time machine 

18 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Have seen the TV coverage of THAT one recently.  2 things struck me.

(1) The coverage hardly mentions it.  No multiple replays, no debate, just a brief comment and then the game coverage moved on.  Were we less obsessed with contentious decisions?  Linked to far less camera angles etc to analyse it?

(2) It looks far less obvious an error than I recall.  Its hard to tell but it may well have clipped the line in my view - last nights far clearer.

44 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

What was going on with the M60? Took over an hour to get home, the bastards.

Ridiculous. I saw nothing on the way up warning it would be closed later. The A6 was also partially closed for resurfacing. Gone eleven when I got back. Weirdly, I was still in a good mood. 

1 hour ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

I watched last nights game  live on IFOLLOW and could plainly see it was in. And Laumba was onside. First thing I thought of was Nicky Henrys goal.

4 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Barton confirms that their defender taken ill pre-match requires heart surgery.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/joey-barton-stoke-city-taylor-6626673

Hope the lad makes a full recovery.

Appears to be a lot of this happening at the moment with footballers & spectators i wonder what it could be?

We hope it has a speedy recovery.

15 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

Appears to be a lot of this happening at the moment with footballers & spectators i wonder what it could be?

Not sure on the players, but supporters - I think that its no worse than historically in the terms of events, but games are now being stopped and therefore its obvious.  St johns used to deal with them whilst the game was ongoing.

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Barton confirms that their defender taken ill pre-match requires heart surgery.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/joey-barton-stoke-city-taylor-6626673

Hope the lad makes a full recovery.

The operation is said to be "straight forward" but as with anything ticker related, it's always a worry, so hopefully the lad comes out the other side fit and well.

Nothing more to be added to what's already been said on regarding the game last night. Latics scored four goals against a good team, although only winning 2-1. Other teams appear to be being dragged into the mix and, quite unbelievably, a Latics relegation is now not so much a certainty as it was a few weeks ago.

The fickle fates of football are rolling their dice.

3 hours ago, mickjagger said:

Here’s a long list. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/arrhythmia/

Note that COVID-19 and other viral illnesses are on the list but there is no mention of vaccines, which I guess is what you are insinuating.

Also on the list are caffeine, exercise and medication, both over the counter and prescribed, which will include some of the supplements regularly taken by footballers.

I hope the player makes a speedy recovery and isn’t pestered by people questioning his vaccine status. 

46 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Here’s a long list. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/arrhythmia/

Note that COVID-19 and other viral illnesses are on the list but there is no mention of vaccines, which I guess is what you are insinuating.

Also on the list are caffeine, exercise and medication, both over the counter and prescribed, which will include some of the supplements regularly taken by footballers.

I hope the player makes a speedy recovery and isn’t pestered by people questioning his vaccine status. 

Everything  is normal according to website blinkered.com 

Archived