MATCH: vs Bristol Rovers (H) 08/02/22

Wow, that’s all I can say. Main stand lower atmosphere was as good as I can remember at ft also.

we beat a decent side there today and should have as bossed what happened in each box. Rogers is a step up, good save first half and came out and handles well. Should be nailed on no.1. now. Back 4 were good all night, and as a back 4 playing like that they are better than av, I’d say pretty good with mcgahey’s pace and pidge in the air they have a lot of bases covered. Clarke and hart steady and solid.

Midfield has got some bite now. Missilou is a huge signing, and fuck me even whelan pulled it out tonight. I saw him get stuck in for first time ever. Adams was great and worked his socks off and Luamba did really well and played like the striker we have been missing. We’ve given ourselves a chance and playing like that today we are actually an ok side for this division. Just preying we can keep it up. Baha still to produce something as well so hoping he finds some form as was better than he has been tonight, yet still lazy. Onwards and upwards. Actually considering going newport! 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, astottie said:

Said to my mate on the way in that I wouldn't start Luamba. No strength, doesn't use his size to good effect and hasn't enough pace. Might have to have a rethink.

Every man Jack of them did their job but Adams was the pick for me. Also DKD gets some grief on here but he can score . That's gold dust. We missed better chances than the 2 he scored tonight. 

I’ve not seen much of him to judge but he’s definitely got a physicality about him for an 18 yr old,plus hes got pace and he can undoubtedly finish,definitely a talent.The finish even though offside tonight was clinical.

2 minutes ago, GrahamHughes said:

I’ve not seen much of him to judge but he’s definitely got a physicality about him for an 18 yr old,plus hes got pace and he can undoubtedly finish,definitely a talent.The finish even though offside tonight was clinical.

I forget he's only 18. He missed with 2 headers tonight where he should have scored. But his general game was good.  What would he look like alongside an experienced centre forward? 

I'll give him another chance 😁

Wow, what a result, the belief is well and truly back. Excellent performances throughout the side.

Junior looked onside for his ‘goal’ and Whelan’s ‘goal’ did look in, a Geoff Hurst type goal.

chances near the end as well. A good game overall

Best performance Whelan’s ever put in for us and I’m one of his biggest critics. He’s normally a soft arse who doesn’t pass forwards. He was absolutely fantastic tonight.

The entire defence were rock solid.

And let’s be honest here…. possession is

overrated. Adams and Luamba should both have scored were it not for great goalkeeping, Whelan’s shot off the bar was in and Luamba’s ‘goal’ wasn’t offside. 

It could have quite conceivably finished 6-1 tonight.

Just back home 11.35.  And that was well worth the journey. Proper team effort, fighting spirit, graft, skill this had the lot.

Difficult to pick anyone in particular because all pulled their tripe out, but step forward Mr Whelan, absolutely brilliant game the lad had. And if the shot that hit the bar had been given it would have been the icing on the cake for him.  He above all others has benefited massively from the Shez effect. Shez had made a player out of him.

Well done to all the players, and another fantastic effort from the fans. We finally have a team that are well worth watching. Next up at BP Bradford. 10,000 gate anybody ?

We have given up trying to play like City. None of this fannying about passing the ball to make an opening. Rovers were still trying and clearly put out by our direct up and at them (what are they doing/nobody does this now) approach. I remember another manager who was successful doing the same thing.

It was fantastic as was the defence with two banks of four. Shez has given them a simple way of playing and everyone has responded. They know what they are doing. 
Deserved winners creating the better chances. Should have been 3 but the screamer not allowed.

Very few walked out when the game ended but stood and cheered/clapped the team off the field. 

Best performance of the season last night - to a man, the players were excellent. Fight, desire and some genuine bits of quality play. Could, and should have been more.

Great crowd and vocal backing again - great to have the buzz back at BP.

One not-so-good thing though. Before kick off, about 30 of our morons (all kids) came up to the Brewers Fayre pub trying to start fights with Bristol Rovers fans having a drink. I also read on social media that a group of 8-10 away fans got jumped by presumably the same group after the game. The pub had to shut after the game due to the trouble. Not sure what the answer is but I don’t want dickheads like that anywhere near BP.

Shez has given us our identity back! Last night was like how it used to be. He’s got us organised and the players have responded brilliantly to him. Good performances all over the pitch. The fans being the 12th man. Boundary Park was rocking!! Keep it going everyone! COYB. ⚽⚽⚽

I still can't quite believe the performance last night - these aren't the most talented bunch let's make no mistake but what they lack in talent they made up for in sheer tenacity, fight, passion and just "we can do this attitude" - FA Cup upsets are made of less.  McGahey and Pidge were outstanding in the centre and whilst Clarke always has a mistake in him he slides in with purpose and was very cute in taking his time with throws later on.

Already said Rogers looks more assured after his injury comes out well and takes charge and 2 good saves last night - number 1 all day for me now.  When are Whelan's kidnappers going to call asking for a ransom because whoever was playing in number 8 last night was not the player we have for 2 seasons - he tackled, he chased and for a blind linesman would have had his first senior goal.  Luamba looks a real prospect, great finish for the offside and he does need to time his runs better but at 18 that will come - Adams, Missilou (who had the poorest game of all but was still good) and DKD were also superb, the foul by their captain after Bam mugged him was testament to how much of a nuisance we were.

We may still go down but under Shez we will at least do it with some pride, having said that - 8 points adrift without a hope in hell when he came back to 2 points behind with a game in hand, I fucking love it!!

Best league performance in two years, Sheridan has them playing basic football and not trying Premiership tactics with league two players like that dreary prick Curly Keef.  I am Whelan's biggest critic, does nothing off the ball, but last night I saw him win two tackles, one of which was in our box, which is two more than I've seen him win since he got here, so good on him and credit where credit is due. The whole team seemed to know what they were doing, which is good coaching and they kept their shape all night. Keep it up and we'll be o.k.

I went in hope more than expectation last night as they are a team in decent form and they played good football, from the first minute what stood out was how well drilled we were as unit if a player was dragged out of position they then bust a gut  to get back in to position, the work rate was incredible.

We also played some good attacking football and could of scored 2 or 3 more goals, it was fantastic the buzz back at Boundary Pack even the main stand was singing, going out of the ground we could still hear singing coming out of the car park.

We salute you Shezza you have give the supporters of Oldham hope again and if we have the same work rate, desire & discipline for the rest of the season we will stay in the football league.

🍾 ❤️ 👏:comeon:

Archived