BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 14th Mar '22 Episode 75: We're Still In Touch

In the week that saw Chris Lees come & go (hopefully), Latics suffered another cruel defeat at the death after battling hard for what would have been a good point away at Swindon - a team like Latics who began the season under embargo, but unlike Latics are at the right end of the table following a new and suitable owner taking over the reigns. Despite this disappointment however, we try to remain upbeat as we're still in touch.

You can now support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oldhamathleticsupportersfoundation.com

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• Matt featured this topic

I posted this on completely the wrong thread.............................

"I found all of that very interesting. I have to confess I didn't listen to above five minutes of last week's podcast, because the smell of bullshit was already unbearable by then. So none of that section surprised me. I don't know what it is about football clubs that attracts these people (probably perceived glamour), but we had a couple of them around when the Oystons purported to put our club on sale in 2018.

You made some good points about Swindon. We spoke to their Trust around the same time we spoke to you last year and they (like us before them) were desperately hoping for court proceedings to go their way. I'm pleased for them that they did. But it all serves to demonstrate how fragile some of our football clubs are that their future can be so easily swayed by the character of the person who ends up in charge - there is no innate resilience in far too many clubs. The case for an independent regulator gets stronger by the day, and it would be a massive irony if the downfall of one of the European Super League wannabees was a clinching factor in us getting one.

On the field, I am somewhat worried for you. The early Sheridan impetus seems to have dissipated somewhat, and a very threadbare squad that seems to be really struggling to score goals is not what you want or need in this situation ; in recent weeks Carlisle and Walsall have shown what can be done if you can just string three or four wins together, but you've not looked like doing that. I agree Stevenage, Barrow and maybe Leyton Orient are the realistic targets now. Nobody else is floundering to the extent that you need. "

Struggle to see why Barry would want to put himself back in the frame. 

He isn't wanted by the fans, the owners can't be that fond of him if they are sacking him. The only thing I can think is that he wants to be in place for any new owners coming through so he can lean on them like he has the last group of owners. 

The grift is real. Another parasite pulling funds and life out of the club. 

The only thing I liked about the Chris Lees stuff was that he didn't like Barry or his little racist mate. 

1 hour ago, Roger Ritchie said:

He isn't wanted by the fans, the owners can't be that fond of him if they are sacking him. The only thing I can think is that he wants to be in place for any new owners coming through so he can lean on them like he has the last group of owners. 

The only thing I liked about the Chris Lees stuff was that he didn't like Barry or his little racist mate. 

Barry Owen doesn't care about Oldham Athletic.

He doesn't care about the fans.

Barry Owen cares about Barry Owen nothing and knowonelse

He's clearly just trying to wean his way back in so he can look down his nose at people. Any new owner who is competent will see him for what he is.

On 3/17/2022 at 4:47 PM, Roger Ritchie said:

Is he helping with the legal proceedings around ownership of the new stand? He seemed quite adamant that it should belong to the club. 

Remaining positive on our league position but the spectre of relegation hovers closer.

Expecting the Chris Lees interview later to regurgitate what’s been outlined earlier.  No movement or news since BPAS expose so suspecting AL not talking to him & buying the stadium from SB is a mere pipe dream.

The Foundation has said Lees is one of 3 interested parties.  The clubs been for sale a while now and no movement.  Question to Foundation is how real are these purchasers, do they have the wealth and, ultimately, will they buy if we go down?

My gut feel is AL is delaying to see if he secures this stand and putting in bare minimum to club.  If we go down, that will speed up the decision making if incomes plummet.  Still niggling is the end game theory that relegation & administration is the goal to unlock the land & stadium for SB to sell for redevelopment & the club has to start over elsewhere.

I guess all we can do is support Shez and those players, hope they return that support & we survive.  Increasing our chances of securing an owner as less likely the stand & land is redeveloped

13 hours ago, Pidge said:

Is he helping with the legal proceedings around ownership of the new stand? He seemed quite adamant that it should belong to the club. 

I expect Barry having been at the club for a good few years will have accumulated lots of intel, knows where all the skeletons are and have evidence of stuff.

If we take the personality side out of it he probably knows historical stuff,  how to run the club and football contacts outside of it too like EFL

Controversial I know but if I was thinking of buying latics I would certainly get my team to contact him to get intel and as a former director.

14 minutes ago, underdog said:

I expect Barry having been at the club for a good few years will have accumulated lots of intel, knows where all the skeletons are and have evidence of stuff.

If we take the personality side out of it he probably knows historical stuff,  how to run the club and football contacts outside of it too like EFL

Controversial I know but if I was thinking of buying latics I would certainly get my team to contact him to get intel and as a former director.

If he knew how to run the club there's not much evidence of that from the time he was there. 

40 minutes ago, underdog said:

Astonishing comment. In view of our rapid demise, he's probably the last person you would wish to speak to. Why don't people understand that the place needs a complete re-boot? A sweeping brush through the whole set up - because it's utter shite and has been for a long time now.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Astonishing comment. In view of our rapid demise, he's probably the last person you would wish to speak to. Why don't people understand that the place needs a complete re-boot? A sweeping brush through the whole set up - because it's utter shite and has been for a long time now.

Agreed on the clean sweep and I truely hope we can get it as our club deserves it.

There is EFL reform on the agenda too. It's about 18 months off and  It seems some clubs and supporter groups are preparing for this.

Specifically the golden share and shadow boards.

Let's hope 

3 hours ago, underdog said:

If he knew how to run a club we wouldn't be at the arse end of league 2

What intel?  The bloke himself said he was never in the room when "skeleton issues" where discussed 

Keep the man as far away as possible and then a bit further - his Twitter exploits have shown exactly what he is 

3 hours ago, underdog said:

I honestly can’t believe that post, especially from yourself. 

You, more than most should know who he is and what his motives are. 

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived