MATCH: vs Exeter City (H) 19/03/22

I cannot for the life of me understand why Curle wanted to bring Hope to the club, he is a bloody awful player. Can’t control the ball, can’t hold it up and is as weak as piss….yet the fact he’s in our team every week tells us where we’re at…..so fucking depressing!!

Edited by oafc1955

26 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I cannot for the life of me understand why Curle wanted to bring Curle to the club, he is a bloody awful player. Can’t control the ball, can’t hold it up and is as weak as piss….yet the fact he’s in our team every week tells us where we’re at…..so fucking depressing!!

I'd have Curle up front rather than Hope tight now.😄

46 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I'd have Curle up front rather than Hope tight now.😄

Id have myself after a knee replacement on.Time for all our players to look at themselves and their performances. 

8 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I cannot for the life of me understand why Curle wanted to bring Curle to the club, he is a bloody awful player. Can’t control the ball, can’t hold it up and is as weak as piss….yet the fact he’s in our team every week tells us where we’re at…..so fucking depressing!!

I assume you mean Hope here.

it's pretty obvious Because we were under transfer restrictions and Hope was the only player that would come for the money that we were offering. Its not like we had a big list of players all begging to come to us who would bang the goals in and he chose Hallam Hope above all of them. Hope was the best player available at that time for us that's how bad it is.

Edited by GlossopLatic

13 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

The guy came in when we were bottom and adrift without a hope in hell

If you think Vaghan who gets bullied off the ball by 

everyone because he's 4 foot 3

Or Couto who can't defend his nan is the answer to where we are thank Chris you aren't the manager 

Both look good neither will get us out of this 

Exactly right.

14 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Yesterday - due to a combination of injury, suspension, poor form and management choice - the starting eleven did not contain the following players:

Piergianni, McGahey, Luamba, Fondop, Missilou, Bahamboula, Vaughan & Couto.

When I saw the team news I feared that we were about to get a hammering.

Sheridan’s hands were tied to a certain extent with the first four on the ‘missing list’ simply not available.

However to then leave both Missilou and Bahamboula on the bench seemed a strange decision.

Furthermore, starting with Hunt and an out of form Whelan in the middle was also worrying given how ineffective both have been over the past few games.

So it was pleasing to see that we competed well in the first half, though without really troubling the keeper.

Sadly the second half followed the familiar pattern of late as Exeter took the game to us and scored the inevitable first goal. Whatever is being said to motivate the players at the interval is simply not working.

Missilou was brought on and we started to get back into the game culminating with the penalty award. Once again a lifeline was wasted and in all honesty it was a poor penalty. We never looked like scoring past a very good keeper who made another excellent save later in the game to deny Hart’s powerful strike that was heading for the top corner.

Sheridan left it too late with the two other substitutions available to him, finally using one other when bringing on the perennial underachiever Stobbs in the ninetieth minute…

I cannot fault the players for effort but yet again too many seemed peripheral to the game. Hope, Obadeyi, Fage and DKD ran around a lot but to little positive effect.

In the end it was an expected defeat against one of the division’s better teams but it could have been a point gained if we had scored from the spot. 

It’s fine margins at the moment and things are going against us.

That’s four defeats from the last four games - not quite the ‘bounce’ we had hoped for.

We have another difficult game on Tuesday with an even more depleted squad to choose from. 

‘Keep the Faith’? It’s a tough ask.

Yet again we saw uncontesed crosses going in leading to a goal.

Surely the players are told to close down quickly so this doesn't happen. Either they arent or just not listening?

We have to win 2 of the next 3 home games and then go to Stevenage and not lose otherwise I think we’re down! On paper our run in is horrendous whist they still have to play Carlisle, Scunthorpe, Colchester and Rochdale.

Unfortunately, effort alone will not get us the required points which is basically all we got yesterday.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

We won when we had an attacking threat

Now we don't, and we're losing

Our only attacking plan is hoping Keillor-Dunn smacks it in from 20m away

You can't play 95% of the season without a striker on the pitch and expect anything else

Please don't use metric measurements when discussing football. Thanks 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

The guy came in when we were bottom and adrift without a hope in hell

If you think Vaghan who gets bullied off the ball by 

everyone because he's 4 foot 3

Or Couto who can't defend his nan is the answer to where we are thank Chris you aren't the manager 

Both look good neither will get us out of this 

How tall do you have to be to not get bullied off the ball? Whelan and Hunt (and Bowden before him) aren’t exactly Roy Keane or Vinnie Jones and they are quite a bit taller than Vaughan. The midfield as a whole is very weak, Missilou apart.

Yesterday though, in the second half, we were sleepwalking to another defeat, no creativity whatsoever, so why not bring Vaughan or Bahamboula on? We were losing anyway! Poor yesterday from the manager IMO. Bringing Stobbs on for Hope with only injury time left was pointless and way way too late for any player to be expected to make an impact.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

How tall do you have to be to not get bullied off the ball? Whelan and Hunt (and Bowden before him) aren’t exactly Roy Keane or Vinnie Jones and they are quite a bit taller than Vaughan. The midfield as a whole is very weak, Missilou apart.

Yesterday though, in the second half, we were sleepwalking to another defeat, no creativity whatsoever, so why not bring Vaughan or Bahamboula on? We were losing anyway! Poor yesterday from the manager IMO. Bringing Stobbs on for Hope with only injury time left was pointless and way way too late for any player to be expected to make an impact.

Vaughan is bullied and shoved off the ball every game he plays 

My Newcastle supporting mate came to Barrow at home and said he has talent but needs to toughen up and his height doesn't help 

I was a relatively decent player in school but was never the biggest and the same happened to me 

45 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Vaughan is bullied and shoved off the ball every game he plays 

My Newcastle supporting mate came to Barrow at home and said he has talent but needs to toughen up and his height doesn't help 

I was a relatively decent player in school but was never the biggest and the same happened to me 

I do understand what you mean, his height is definitely against him, but neither Whelan or Hunt have any sort of physical presence either. Vaughan has the talent and vision though to be much more creative than either of them. I just thought that Shez should have changed things once we went behind. We weren’t creating anything from midfield. 

• Like 1

I don't think Vaughan's height is an issue - he might need to bulk up a bit.  His size doesn't seem to affect Lionel Messi's game..

At 1-0 yesterday, with the game petering out to another defeat, we should have bought Vaughan on.  If he makes a difference, he makes if difference.  If he doesn't?  Well he's got some first-team experience, which helps him understand what was required in a game that was pretty much lost anyway..

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

I do understand what you mean, his height is definitely against him, but neither Whelan or Hunt have any sort of physical presence either. Vaughan has the talent and vision though to be much more creative than either of them. I just thought that Shez should have changed things once we went behind. We weren’t creating anything from midfield. 

Whelan was immense against Bristol at home whilst Hunt is a waste of a squad place 

Our problem is consistency we are quite regularly shite with the odd good game DKD the prime example 

Ironically our defence has been our strongest despite where we are and that's all over the place for the next few games 

7 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Whelan was immense against Bristol at home whilst Hunt is a waste of a squad place 

Our problem is consistency we are quite regularly shite with the odd good game DKD the prime example 

Ironically our defence has been our strongest despite where we are and that's all over the place for the next few games 

Whelan was good against Bristol, but for him that was an exceptional performance. You can count on the fingers of one hand the number of games where he has imposed himself. He’s very very weak in the tackle.

Just now, Gary1906 said:

Whelan was good against Bristol, but for him that was an exceptional performance. You can count on the fingers of one hand the number of games where he has imposed himself. He’s very very weak in the tackle.

I agree he's awful I thought maybe on that game we had unlocked a player 

That's my point we are a team full of people who have a decent game in 20

Which again is the fault of the flat cap wonder 

4 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Please don't use metric measurements when discussing football. Thanks 

Jesus fucking Christ, on a forum where people think Diarra should be a striker and Bahamboula should be judged on how many headers he wins, I'll discuss football however I want.  Thanks.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Flemboy said:

What compounds our results is the way our ex players are scoring for fun. 

Agreed!
Garrity has scored 11 for Port Vale this season, Wilkinson 10 for Walsall and Banks scoring a few with Barrow.

Barrow have just sacked manager Mark Cooper btw.

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

I give you …..Bobby Collins 

There are small players who are as hard as nails, others have the class to dictate play - as did Bobby Collins and Bobby Johnstone.

Harry may well mature in time, he has the technique to do so.

Looking back I think we competed quite well yesterday, we were beaten by a better team who were organised and pretty decent to watch tbh, they looked like a team up there and they did a good job on us, Brown looks a very good player for this level as is Kieran Phillips who is on loan at Exeter from Huddersfield, why aren't we in for players like this? He is far from the finished article but led the line well until he blew up in the last quarter, he is an Huddersfield lad and would be a massive improvement on some of the dross we've turned out up front this season, nothing really changes, we still have it in our own hands and I don't think now is the time to desert them given the situation we were in prior to Shez coming in, Stevenage away is the one though now and that is a massive game for the club.

16 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

“Whelan was immense”. Never thought I’d see those three words put together to form a sentence. I thought I’d seen every home game this season but I must have must’ve Bristol Rovers game and the immense Whelan display.