Playing Squad - Summer 22

5 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Refreshing? Possibly. We are now signing players for the level we find ourselves at.

Let’s not get too carried away by this just yet is the message. 

I find it refreshing but it depends how we want to view it, our recruitment the past three or four seasons has been horrendous and a major factor in why we are where we are, although it's painful our fans really need to accept the level we are at as nothing will change that.

Signing players who have been there and done it in the division is what most of us would of hoped for now we just need that little bit of luck that most successful teams need, we are due some given what we've endured.

As well as the signings we already retained a group of players who could well do well in this League Clarke and McGahey at the back as well as Fondop and Hope could all have decent seasons at this level and that's before you factor in the kids who shone at times last season Sutton, Vaughan and Couto, granted they lost their confidence a bit towards the end particularly Couto but that was a tough environment for any teenager never mind seasoned pros.

We have to be confident and we should set the bar high as I'm sure Shez and his team are, it's not about getting carried away it's about backing yourself and the team which I'm hoping come August 6th we'll be in a decent position to do, one things for sure the players will have the support they've just got to turn up now and do their bit.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I find it refreshing but it depends how we want to view it, our recruitment the past three or four seasons has been horrendous and a major factor in why we are where we are, although it's painful our fans really need to accept the level we are at as nothing will change that.

Signing players who have been there and done it in the division is what most of us would of hoped for now we just need that little bit of luck that most successful teams need, we are due some given what we've endured.

As well as the signings we already retained a group of players who could well do well in this League Clarke and McGahey at the back as well as Fondop and Hope could all have decent seasons at this level and that's before you factor in the kids who shone at times last season Sutton, Vaughan and Couto, granted they lost their confidence a bit towards the end particularly Couto but that was a tough environment for any teenager never mind seasoned pros.

We have to be confident and we should set the bar high as I'm sure Shez and his team are, it's not about getting carried away it's about backing yourself and the team which I'm hoping come August 6th we'll be in a decent position to do, one things for sure the players will have the support they've just got to turn up now and do their bit.

l was thinking 2 of the 3 would make it as players, but then Sutton had that loan spell and now l think all three will make it.

Luamba needs to put his next few chances away or he will fade rapid, l like him but that one where he missed the whole ball from four yards out at 0-0 😬

not sure how many 6month deals Da Silva has burned thru but give him another one.

my nephew says Turner is good

28 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l was thinking 2 of the 3 would make it as players, but then Sutton had that loan spell and now l think all three will make it.

Luamba needs to put his next few chances away or he will fade rapid, l like him but that one where he missed the whole ball from four yards out at 0-0 😬

not sure how many 6month deals Da Silva has burned thru but give him another one.

I'd forgotten about Luamba, sorry Junior. Hopefully he can also  establish himself this season. 

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

All I remember about Turner is him and Cisse playing in a midfield 2 one game last season. Feel sick thinking about it 

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I envisage Clarke being just as bog standard whether in the Conference, League Two or even League One. He's one of those strange players.

I'd assume he's one of the potential departures given the wage he's likely on.

Windass at right back?

Leutweiler or McGahey to go too?

Hopefully Norman has been signed as back up to a new keeper.

I'm intrigued to see how Hope does purely by virtue of him possibly being way more of an athlete compared to most of what he'll come up against.

Maynard looks like he's been signed to start in midfield.

Has Sheron been signed to start in defence or cover defence and midfield?  

Can Fondop be relied on to stay fit? Will he even be any good if he does?

Can Porter do 90 minutes regularly? 

Luamba could kick on. We'll need him to if we don't sign one or two forwards that are better than we've got. 

I can't seen Sutton and Couto being in his plans.

Same for Vaughan possibly.  Too lightweight?

But then Luke Burgess looks similarly lightweight... 

I get signing older heads who've done it in the league before to an extent but I really do hope we sign some better quality in the coming weeks.

I still think a whole spine could/should come in but, if not, we've got more of a spine for this league than we had for the league above last August.

39 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I envisage Clarke being just as bog standard whether in the Conference, League Two or even League One. He's one of those strange players.

I'd assume he's one of the potential departures given the wage he's likely on.

Windass at right back?

Leutweiler or McGahey to go too?

Hopefully Norman has been signed as back up to a new keeper.

I'm intrigued to see how Hope does purely by virtue of him possibly being way more of an athlete compared to most of what he'll come up against.

Maynard looks like he's been signed to start in midfield.

Has Sheron been signed to start in defence or cover defence and midfield?  

Can Fondop be relied on to stay fit? Will he even be any good if he does?

Can Porter do 90 minutes regularly? 

Luamba could kick on. We'll need him to if we don't sign one or two forwards that are better than we've got. 

I can't seen Sutton and Couto being in his plans.

Same for Vaughan possibly.  Too lightweight?

But then Luke Burgess looks similarly lightweight... 

I get signing older heads who've done it in the league before to an extent but I really do hope we sign some better quality in the coming weeks.

I still think a whole spine could/should come in but, if not, we've got more of a spine for this league than we had for the league above last August.

Porter looked very trim in training, looks likes he's determined to make an impression 

31 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I'd just release McGahey 

14 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Not seen him in any training photos, maybe someone has?

5 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Similar to last season always looks a bit "bottom heavy" if there is such a word!

Think that's just his build, a bit Stevie Redmond, Michael Vonk shape.

Shez mentioned he's good with the youth in his interview today - don't think he's looking to get rid 

4 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Shez mentioned he's good with the youth in his interview today - don't think he's looking to get rid 

Think I'm in the minority but I think he's decent :peepwall:.

21 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Think I'm in the minority but I think he's decent :peepwall:.

1 minute ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Both him and Clarke are more than good enough for this league 

I liked Clarke last season 

I like Clarke.

McGahey never wins a header, always wrong side and slow turning. 

Listening to Shez, can't see many, if any, senior players leaving. Suspect some of the youngsters might be loaned out for experience.

It's going to be a long, tough season and I can see us relying on a bigger squad than recent seasons.

Good to see we have signed quite a few six-footers. Not all cloggers in this league, but we will certainly need physical presence. 

28 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Listening to Shez, can't see many, if any, senior players leaving. Suspect some of the youngsters might be loaned out for experience.

It's going to be a long, tough season and I can see us relying on a bigger squad than recent seasons.

Good to see we have signed quite a few six-footers. Not all cloggers in this league, but we will certainly need physical presence. 

I cannot remember anybody on the forum who felt we got out muscled last season?

30 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

I cannot remember anybody on the forum who felt we got out muscled last season?

Nobody noticed the lightweight midfield and non-existent centre-forrad. Either that or you were being obtuse.

17 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Youth is to be sold not to be thrown into non league. Sutton is the only one I’d keep. Get rid, they are passengers and won’t make it in my opinion cash in before they lose value!

With your wealth of knowledge that is greater than Sheridans?

Archived