Playing Squad - Summer 22

Two and three year plans are great, but there has to be a short-term strategy as well.

We don't want another relegation.  Nothing good comes from relegation.  Ever.  

Avoiding relegation means we're not battling against the odds to make the two or three year plan a success.

This has to be our lowest ebb and for that to be the case, unfortunately there has to be some resources available for short-term improvement as we're going to have to get much much better players in.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Two and three year plans are great, but there has to be a short-term strategy as well.

We don't want another relegation.  Nothing good comes from relegation.  Ever.  

Avoiding relegation means we're not battling against the odds to make the two or three year plan a success.

This has to be our lowest ebb and for that to be the case, unfortunately there has to be some resources available for short-term improvement as we're going to have to get much much better players in.

Yeah- as big as the squad is, we are desperate for some leaders. 

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Yeah- as big as the squad is, we are desperate for some leaders. 

It's going to be so hard to get the right players.  All of those that we may want will probably have other options.  Our history is irrelevant so all we have to offer to get over the fact that other suitors will almost certainly have better training facilities (much more important than the ground for a player I imagine) will be the credibility of our management team.  Unless we wish to throw silly money around.  Let's be clear.  This is the fault of those that have neglected the club for years, not the current owners.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

It's going to be so hard to get the right players.  All of those that we may want will probably have other options.  Our history is irrelevant so all we have to offer to get over the fact that other suitors will almost certainly have better training facilities (much more important than the ground for a player I imagine) will be the credibility of our management team.  Unless we wish to throw silly money around.  Let's be clear.  This is the fault of those that have neglected the club for years, not the current owners.

All very true Dave and I think all agree who has got us into the mess we are in.

We do need to focus on getting  out of the mess though before it gets even worse. The current crop of players could easily get us relegated again which would be disasterous

I'm sure Unsworth made it clear to the new owners he would need at least some financial backing to steady the ship and I'm confident hell get us to a mid table finish this year and kick on next.

May be a bumpy journey though up until December....

6 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Get some organisation and obvious patterns of play into the team, doesn't take two seasons to do that.

To do anything you need the players that is what takes the time, we need to ship out about 15 and bring in the same, organisation should be a given, you can work as much as you want on patterns of play but it won't come to anything when you have half a dozen raffle winners turning out for us every Saturday, our squad has a distinct lack of ability particularly in forward areas, it has from day dot.

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

6 months. 

He is so crap we moved a full back to centre mid, and him (a centre mid) to full back on the weekend. I had a good laugh to myself. 

Agree....but i think Razor....I mean Unsworth quite likes him. I think he mentioned in an interview that Cops did OK, so don't be surprised if he's around for a while

On 9/27/2022 at 6:59 PM, LightDN123 said:

Who the hell is that Kacper ? 

A ghost?

10 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Agree....but i think Razor....I mean Unsworth quite likes him. I think he mentioned in an interview that Cops did OK, so don't be surprised if he's around for a while

Yeah, I have seen the similarities, too.
Wouldn't be a bad thing, though.

And to save you having to read the Oldham Times article, here’s a latest injury update from our leader:

Hogan - Hogs is flying and desperate to play in a B-team game next week that we've got organised against Tranmere on Tuesday.

Sutton - I'm told Will's a great prospect and I'm really looking forward to working with him, he seems a nice boy…

McGahey - We think the second injection for McGahey has worked so fingers crossed that continues to progress because he's a massive player for us

Roberts - Mitchell Roberts is injured and gone back to Birmingham and we’re waiting for him to get fit

😉

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

And to save you having to read the Oldham Times article, here’s a latest injury update from our leader:

Hogan - Hogs is flying and desperate to play in a B-team game next week that we've got organised against Tranmere on Tuesday.

Sutton - I'm told Will's a great prospect and I'm really looking forward to working with him, he seems a nice boy…

McGahey - We think the second injection for McGahey has worked so fingers crossed that continues to progress because he's a massive player for us

Roberts - Mitchell Roberts is injured and gone back to Birmingham and we’re waiting for him to get fit

😉

He's definitely a massive player

26 minutes ago, True Tic said:

The very same 

39 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Is this the same Hogan that played at the start of the season when we were leaking goals everywhere? Has he turned into Virgil Van Dyke whilst hes been out injured?

Not quite true that though is it, they were exposed by a complete waste of a midfield and attack who couldn’t close the opposing team down.

The Dorking match was a prime example.  Not one of our players picked up the threat of their number 3 who was allowed to ping crosses in like it was a training session.

13 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

Not quite true that though is it, they were exposed by a complete waste of a midfield and attack who couldn’t close the opposing team down.

The Dorking match was a prime example.  Not one of our players picked up the threat of their number 3 who was allowed to ping crosses in like it was a training session.

I said not long back he didn’t get much of a run before his injury so let’s see what he can do for us, but we were still leaking goals with him in the squad. True about the midfield and front men too making life difficult for the defence, but then again it doesn’t help when your defence are panicking with aimless hoods up the field which has been happening since day one . 

3 minutes ago, True Tic said:

it doesn’t help when your defence are panicking with aimless hoods up the field which has been happening since day one . 

It also doesn’t help when there’s nobody showing for or wanting the ball!!

Archived