BPAS PODCAST: 30th May '22 Bonus Episode: FLG Interview Part 2

Just to echo other comments, I thought the interviewees came across well and it sounds as though they’ve been through the wringer, Simon Brooke especially. 

I’m glad they’ve had chance to tell their story and lay down their aims and objectives. They sound like true fans and come across as having 1000x more integrity than the people at the top of the club’s hierarchy. Big thanks to the BPAS lads for making it possible.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

So he believed the club was good for it then?

Nah - not for me. 

😂😂

Good effort. 

Your conspiracies are really bearing fruit aren’t they? 

Remember the one where you wouldn’t give FLG time of day and suspected everything they did based on nothing but thoughtless opinion. Then they go on a podcast, and suddenly they’re nice guys. 😂😂😂

Maybe, just maybe Blitz came in because Corney asked him and to make some money. . . and not to burn the town and walk off with a mythical pot of money that only exists inside your head. 

23 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂😂

Good effort. 

Your conspiracies are really bearing fruit aren’t they? 

Remember the one where you wouldn’t give FLG time of day and suspected everything they did based on nothing but thoughtless opinion. Then they go on a podcast, and suddenly they’re nice guys. 😂😂😂

Maybe, just maybe Blitz came in because Corney asked him and to make some money. . . and not to burn the town and walk off with a mythical pot of money that only exists inside your head. 

Just saying what I see. 

If you have really been reading what I’ve previously said, then heard this and can’t see why I’ve revised some of what I thought then I can’t help you. You are obviously just looking to be a smart  arse. We’d heard nothing from them for over two years. Andy asked a couple of questions that really dealt with my (and possibly his own) concerns on FLG. They answered them well. It’s that simple. 

I found both episodes very enlightening, really, as the conversation in Part 1 was about a world I know little about, and in Part 2 answered a few questions that I would imagine many of you would have wanted answers to.

The valuation issue still perplexes me a little bit. My club got a big mention there ; recently there has been some media reporting that suggests that the current owner paid around £8.2 / £8.3m for the club, which got him a 16,000 odd seater stadium, a very rudimentary training ground and a hotel. I believe that rental values are strong (the NHS has a significant presence), which probably accounts for some of the value.  But how that translates into your situation is something I still find hard to assess.

I wouldn't underestimate the size of the job if you have to redevelop the ground and invest in any other infrastructure. At our place  the medium term vision is to redevelop the East Stand  (where away fans are currently housed)  and build a bespoke training facility on a 100 acre site. The estimated cost of all that ? Around £30m. I'm not saying that to put you off, but to point out that even a modest upgrade to what you have will be expensive and might not be something you can do quickly. 

Going back to football for a minute - the lack of firm news about the squad is starting to ring alarm bells a bit, albeit I suppose that there is still time for things to start moving. 

Final word - top marks to Andy for preparation for that interview, and for whoever did the editing. It was well structured and that NEVER happens by accident.

Been waiting for part 2 before passing comment firstly I'd like to thank Andy, Simon & Paul for getting this sorted and out to us. Both Simon and Paul came across people with their hearts in the right place as I'd expected they were anyway personally for me its was nice to hear there side of the story in relation to their dealings with AL, Barry & Blitz which put some of my concerns about them to bed. 

Whilst I don't expect the land ownership to be resolved anytime soon, should the FLG take over from Blitz I would not have any concerns.

Fingers crossed FLG, OASF & PTB can work closely together going forward 🤞🏻

I'd also like to say that having our own fan produced media has really helped to shine a light on key off the field issues at the club and hats off to the lads that give up there time to do it 👍🏻

KTF💙🧡

15 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Just saying what I see.

That’s not right though is it. 

Your saying what you see on nothing but baseless opinion. That opinion  has been vocal, consistent, and highly suspicious/critical of FLG- without really knowing them or wanting to find out more that would merit such consistent critique. I’ve lost count how many times over the years various posters have said- go to the meeting. ask them, share your concerns. But you’re to busy. Not quite busy enough though to come here and espouse your opinion without anything to really back it up. They do a podcast and Andy asks reasonable and fair questions, and they answer every single one. Sometimes in a lot more detail than the question demanded. Suddenly after years of suspicion, you’re changed man. . . 😂

Your conspiracy also extends to blitz- which was what my original reply was about- we are all guilty of filling in blanks without knowledge on Blitz- but finally you have two guys explaining it- and still you purport nonsense based on nothing. 

The fact you still believe he gave 3.8 million just make money, in a venture which is quite possibly the worst way to make money; AND when to quote Paul and Simon- ‘the one thing he definitely won’t do is sell the ground for housing’  is beyond belief. 

He wants his money back. 

That’s fair. 

Say the FLG/fans/shares buy the ground/land/stadium from Blitz... What happens WHEN Almo dick about and don't pay rent etc. much like they are doing with Blitz now....

Could it be a case of Oldham's own fans calling in the debts and ultimately putting the club into administration like whatever Blitz threatens now? And if shares are involved, would it mean a vote, and then a likely big argument as to what course of action is taken?

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Your saying what you see on nothing but baseless opinion. That opinion  has been vocal, consistent, and highly suspicious/critical of FLG- without really knowing them or wanting to find out more that would merit such consistent critique. I’ve lost count how many times over the years various posters have said- go to the meeting. ask them, share your concerns. But you’re to busy. Not quite busy enough though to come here and espouse your opinion without anything to really back it up. They do a podcast and Andy asks reasonable and fair questions, and they answer every single one. Sometimes in a lot more detail than the question demanded. Suddenly after years of suspicion, you’re changed man. . . 😂

Yep. Perfectly reasonable stance. 

Why you want to make this about me is beyond me. 

I’m not interested. I’ll let you have the last word… you’ll be dying to. I won’t respond. 

28 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Yep. Perfectly reasonable stance. 

Why you want to make this about me is beyond me. 

I’m not interested. I’ll let you have the last word… you’ll be dying to. I won’t respond. 

Not interested. . . But still post. 😉

I’m not making it about you, I don’t even know you. All I know of you is a long held belief/opinion that you post on a message board. I’m challenging that opinion on the relevant thread- that’s it. 

Seems you think it’s something else, which is a shame. 

18 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’m not making it about you, I don’t even know you. All I know of you is a long held belief/opinion that you post on a message board. I’m challenging that opinion on the relevant thread- that’s it. 

To be fair to Kow he's held exactly the same misgivings I have held with the FLG and their relationship with Blitz I don't think he's been hell bent on hating them 

The podcast has certainly adhered me to the members of the FLG but I still don't like the cosying upto Blitz although I now see it as a necessary evil to get them all out 

Half way through the pod so will comment more on that when done. 

Still struggling to see how the progress with the FLG changes our situation. The FLG and foundation are now working towards the same goal? We still won’t have our club and ALMO and fat bazza will still be around.

I find it even more bizzare that Simon Brooke was stood in the fans forum and would not comment on the presentation of the foundation. Though he is working on achieving the same objective with a separate group. 

All seems a bit disjointed to me. But what’s new. 

Just a thought regarding the recent club statement on their concerns regarding the manner in which the North Stand is managed 

Both Paul and Simon said they had unannounced visits from the SAG on match days and received no adverse comments and I assume no corrective actions 

If the OEC management were to publish the documentation from the SAG it would confirm both the Club and in particular Barry Owen as carrying out a vendetta against them 

Press the button lads 

5 hours ago, kowenicki said:

So he believed the club was good for it then?

Nah - not for me. 

The club would have been good for it. The plans were for 2 CT/MRI scanners to be put it to the North Stand along with the other businesses. This was mentioned in the podcast because they were heavy and required the gym swapping to upstairs. 
Corney was relying on Royal Oldham buying 2 scanners worth of scans or about 15,000 a year. Around the time the building was going up this estimate of use was reduced to 3,500 scans a yr, and later to nothing. 
As a very low risk medical tenant the scan company would have increased the value and income from the stand. I don’t know timelines on this, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if the final medical scanner idea was scraped about the time Mr Corney signed away the North Stand to Blitz.

39 minutes ago, Pidge said:

The club would have been good for it. The plans were for 2 CT/MRI scanners to be put it to the North Stand along with the other businesses. This was mentioned in the podcast because they were heavy and required the gym swapping to upstairs. 
Corney was relying on Royal Oldham buying 2 scanners worth of scans or about 15,000 a year. Around the time the building was going up this estimate of use was reduced to 3,500 scans a yr, and later to nothing. 
As a very low risk medical tenant the scan company would have increased the value and income from the stand. I don’t know timelines on this, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if the final medical scanner idea was scraped about the time Mr Corney signed away the North Stand to Blitz.

Was that about the same time Corney robbed the scoreboard money?

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Surely after hearing from them for the first time in a couple of years some of us can have a change of opinion? I was sceptical given there was a big hurrah and then nothing, as the void has now been filled you can appreciate some fans change of stance, if you are not privy to what's going on behind the scenes as many of us weren't it just looked as if their interest had cooled, after they've communicated their plans I think it will help many of us form an opinion now most of our  questions have been answered.

It still doesn't take away the fact that Simon feathered his own nest for quite some time by his own admission during the podcast, I'd still be interested to know what parts they want to play on a day to day basis if the ground/footprint becomes fan owned and how that then feeds in to the club but I suppose that is for another day.

Coincidentally whose taking the rent when the 'real' circus is in town is that fed back to Blitz or is that under the OEC umbrella?

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

To be fair to Kow he's held exactly the same misgivings I have held with the FLG and their relationship with Blitz I don't think he's been hell bent on hating them 

The podcast has certainly adhered me to the members of the FLG but I still don't like the cosying upto Blitz although I now see it as a necessary evil to get them all out 

That’s fair enough Chad, but your last sentence is the key. 

Blitz put his money in, when no one else would. He wants it back with no ulterior motive, and from what Paul and Simon said it’s clear he has and is willing to listen to offers and proposals, and further is willing to compromise. This debunks the absurd myth that the north stand was built as some long game for his personal gain at the cost of the club. 

Like you say, all the group leaders need to work with him the greater good. 

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Surely after hearing from them for the first time in a couple of years some of us can have a change of opinion? I was sceptical given there was a big hurrah and then nothing, as the void has now been filled you can appreciate some fans change of stance, if you are not privy to what's going on behind the scenes as many of us weren't it just looked as if their interest had cooled, after they've communicated their plans I think it will help many of us form an opinion now most of our  questions have been answered.

It still doesn't take away the fact that Simon feathered his own nest for quite some time by his own admission during the podcast, I'd still be interested to know what parts they want to play on a day to day basis if the ground/footprint becomes fan owned and how that then feeds in to the club but I suppose that is for another day.

Coincidentally whose taking the rent when the 'real' circus is in town is that fed back to Blitz or is that under the OEC umbrella?

Change your opinion from what?

That’s my point.

Many have criticised without knowing anything about FLG,  so how can anyone criticise something they have no knowledge of, or criticise people they don’t know?? 

There is a world of difference between saying, ‘I’d like to hear from them’ (which is fair, and IMO they should of done the pod a lot sooner) and ‘their in it for themselves.’ (Which is based on nothing but a communication vacuum) 

The latter is lazy and presumptuous. 

There is a common thread with a lot fans- (it’s even in your post above) that anyone who does anything for the club is in it for themselves. Which I think is complete nonsense, only the stench has done this. The rest put their hands up when no one else will. For Simon it nearly cost his health. 

What is absolutely clear to me in the last few months is this- Matt, Paul, Simon, PTB are working their bollocks off for the greater good. They’re credible and each one talks sense when I hear them. And after listening to the pod having 10/12 people of their ilk is only good thing moving forward. 

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Change your opinion from what?

That’s my point.

Many have criticised without knowing anything about FLG,  so how can anyone criticise something they have no knowledge of, or criticise people they don’t know?? 

There is a world of difference between saying, ‘I’d like to hear from them’ (which is fair, and IMO they should of done the pod a lot sooner) and ‘their in it for themselves.’ (Which is based on nothing but a communication vacuum) 

The latter is lazy and presumptuous. 

There is a common thread with a lot fans- (it’s even in your post above) that anyone who does anything for the club is in it for themselves. Which I think is complete nonsense, only the stench has done this. The rest put their hands up when no one else will. For Simon it nearly cost his health. 

What is absolutely clear to me in the last few months is this- Matt, Paul, Simon, PTB are working their bollocks off for the greater good. They’re credible and each one talks sense when I hear them. And after listening to the pod having 10/12 people of their ilk is only good thing moving forward. 

Nobody is denying any of that but if you don't think any of our fans are entitled to be sceptical I'd see that as a strange stance, by your own admission they should of done the podcast sooner but better late than never, my opinion on Simon Brooke hasn't changed and nothing you will say will change that and I'll leave it at that as you say we need to move forward.

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Nobody is denying any of that but if you don't think any of our fans are entitled to be sceptical I'd see that as a strange stance, by your own admission they should of done the podcast sooner but better late than never, my opinion on Simon Brooke hasn't changed and nothing you will say will change that and I'll leave it at that as you say we need to move forward.

Sceptical of what or whom? Be specific.  The club is dying, and it seems you’re more concerned with motives or personalities in a time of crisis. 

The status quo is this- 

We asked for a better trust that represented the fans- we got it. 

We’ve got an independent fans group. 

We’ve got credible people running the only viable asset, who want to see the club prosper. 

Now, we face a stark choice. 

We either put forward our scepticism and do nothing. 

Or 

We get behind those willing to do hard yards and come together. 

Id like to think after listening to the pod you, I, and the rest of the fans can see the greater good. 

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

Sceptical of what or whom? Be specific.  The club is dying, and it seems you’re more concerned with motives or personalities in a time of crisis. 

The status quo is this- 

We asked for a better trust that represented the fans- we got it. 

We’ve got an independent fans group. 

We’ve got credible people running the only viable asset, who want to see the club prosper. 

Now, we face a stark choice. 

We either put forward our scepticism and do nothing. 

Or 

We get behind those willing to do hard yards and come together. 

Id like to think after listening to the pod you, I, and the rest of the fans can see the greater good. 

…which is what  myself, yarddog and others have done, but you just wanted to go back over previous comments and make some petty remark about people changing their minds. 

12 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Say the FLG/fans/shares buy the ground/land/stadium from Blitz... What happens WHEN Almo dick about and don't pay rent etc. much like they are doing with Blitz now....

Could it be a case of Oldham's own fans calling in the debts and ultimately putting the club into administration like whatever Blitz threatens now? And if shares are involved, would it mean a vote, and then a likely big argument as to what course of action is taken?

If they finance it all then they'll decide. 

Admin is our route of getting rid of ALMO. I'd wear a suit and arrive in a limo if i got to vote for admin. Photo on the wall job. Whoever evokes admin on ALMO is a hero. 

4 hours ago, Clifford said:

If they finance it all then they'll decide. 

Admin is our route of getting rid of ALMO. I'd wear a suit and arrive in a limo if i got to vote for admin. Photo on the wall job. Whoever evokes admin on ALMO is a hero. 

thanks 💪🏻

whomever invokes it will be full on legends compared to us 😉

Archived