Frank Rothwell

On 1/30/2024 at 11:51 AM, Lags said:

Off to the Caribbean 10th Feb, does anyone know the ETA for Frank in Antigua? Would be fantastic if I was there to see him arrive.

ETA has changed Lags due to headwinds. His arrival is now estimated to be 10th Feb around 5.00pm!👍

• Thanks 1

Seems like he’s been having a tough few days battling rough seas and headwinds…surely this should be MMs pre match on Saturday…our 73 year old owner..the bloke who pays our wages and really doesn’t have to be doing this has been on his own for the last 50 days in a tiny boat rowing for 8-10 hours a day to raise money to help other people…so what are you going to do for the next 90 minutes…?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Seems like he’s been having a tough few days battling rough seas and headwinds…surely this should be MMs pre match on Saturday…our 73 year old owner..the bloke who pays our wages and really doesn’t have to be doing this has been on his own for the last 50 days in a tiny boat rowing for 8-10 hours a day to raise money to help other people…so what are you going to do for the next 90 minutes…?

Probably slap Ebbsfleet and then lose 1-2 to Boreham Wood with Tshimanga bagging a brace.

Frank rows boats. Latics lose at home. That’s just how it is.

5 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

Check you out talking to Lags.

Treat people as you want to be treated and the reverse always happens. I take it this your old fella and 55 relates to his year of birth?.

I appreciated the info. 

• Like 1

Read this on another teams message board last night.    First reaction I was really quite impressed.

So many things to take into consideration with this endeavour - such as the weather elements, age of Mr Rothwell, the stamina to keep at it, the will to succeed, isolation at such a vast expanse of water etc.      People of fewer character just wouldn't entertain the idea.  

Surely he's not going about this alone ?    I mean there has to be a support team at hand or others involved at close proximity in case anything goes wrong.    It's a great challenge and worthwhile cause but the idea of the man just setting out across the Atlantic as one individual without back up or nearby support seems maybe incredulous.      Seems too risky as a standalone effort that's all.

Whatever the circumstances it's for a very good cause.   I've had family members suffer with the illness and it's a horrible condition that no-one should suffer.      I wish Mr Rothwell every success in getting to and reaching his intended destination and hope it provides substantial funds and support for the charity / research chosen.       As owner of OAFC it does send a very positive message to other clubs out there and something fans at Boundary Park can take pride in, a unique achievement when completed.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Tractors Passing Through said:

Read this on another teams message board last night.    First reaction I was really quite impressed.

So many things to take into consideration with this endeavour - such as the weather elements, age of Mr Rothwell, the stamina to keep at it, the will to succeed, isolation at such a vast expanse of water etc.      People of fewer character just wouldn't entertain the idea.  

Surely he's not going about this alone ?    I mean there has to be a support team at hand or others involved at close proximity in case anything goes wrong.    It's a great challenge and worthwhile cause but the idea of the man just setting out across the Atlantic as one individual without back up or nearby support seems maybe incredulous.      Seems too risky as a standalone effort that's all.

Whatever the circumstances it's for a very good cause.   I've had family members suffer with the illness and it's a horrible condition that no-one should suffer.      I wish Mr Rothwell every success in getting to and reaching his intended destination and hope it provides substantial funds and support for the charity / research chosen.       As owner of OAFC it does send a very positive message to other clubs out there and something fans at Boundary Park can take pride in, a unique achievement when completed.

There were 38 boats involved. 37 now as one rower died... But they're not close together and there are no support boats. He has capsized three times so far.

• Like 1

I suppose it would be too much to ask, that other clubs, and more importantly other players, have a whip round to help Frank's great cause. It would be nice to see premier league players dipping into their back pockets dont you think ?

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

There were 38 boats involved. 37 now as one rower died... But they're not close together and there are no support boats. He has capsized three times so far.

2 hours ago, Tractors Passing Through said:

On a grammatical point that's the worst confusion between less and fewer I've every seen. And no, I'm not being entirely serious.

On 2/8/2024 at 5:06 PM, Dave_Og said:

On a grammatical point that's the worst confusion between less and fewer I've every seen. And no, I'm not being entirely serious.

You can take the boy out of Oldham Hulme, but you can’t take Oldham Hulme out of the boy.

FIFY “ever”

Edited by frizzell54

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

And you managed to take the 'L' out of Hulme on both occasions. Spelling was Mr Heales speciality I recall.

You missed the apostrophe out of Helen's... Then again I remember him putting someone in Saturday detention. Says someone said he was a c##t, to which he retorted...Oh couldn't I...😂

19 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

And you managed to take the 'L' out of Hulme on both occasions. Spelling was Mr Heales speciality I recall.

That wasn't old "Rubber Gob" was it - flippin heck - that takes me back - oh - memories!!

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Expected finish date now put back till 16th February, appears to be pretty gruelling out there at the minute 200 odd miles off Antigua, mainly because of the winds. 

Still managed 36NM in the last 24 hours as well, unbelievable effort in the reported poor conditions.