MATCH: vs York City (A) 29/08/22

2 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Mixed emotions. 4 points from 2 games is decent. Looked like we might get the 6 points, but could so easily have been only 3,2,1 or zero points!

I'm reasonably happy with 4 pts from the last 6 based on our performances.

Let's face it we could easily be sat in the bottom 3 with 3 points or less. 

Dorking outplayed us first game and were worth at least a draw, we scored a 95th minute winner v Aldershot who are crap, and York should have scored a winner by all accounts at the death yesterday.

I'm really concernede about our next the few games and where we could be after them.

Chesterfield are just better than us and are odds on to beat us. Even with 8k+ there I reckon

Boreham Wood away will be really difficult as they are on a good run, are sitting 6th, and have beaten Dorking and Torquay away already this season

Woking away on a Tuesday night is another tough one. They have won 2/3 at home and narrowly lost to Wrexham 3-2 in the other.

Hope I'm wrong as I'll be at at Boreham Wood and Woking, but from what I saw v Dorking and Wealdstone Im not overly confident....

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, south east latic said:

His opinion can be challenged, but not his right to one which seems to be the case 

He can have his opinion. Seems a bit hypocritical and that will (in my opinion) be rightly flagged. Bit like when Clifford called anyone who attended a scab, then scabbed himself

If we’re going to stay in this league for at least another season let’s hope York do too, quality away day. Bank holiday Monday, beers down by the river, Latics fans singing I Am The Resurrection in the Stone Roses bar and a good atmosphere in the ground.

The game was a bit crap. We took our goal well and Shez said in his post-game that was an example of how he wants us to play. If you’d offered me 4 points over the weekend I’d have probably taken it.

1 hour ago, Sloshed Joe said:

A lot of the teams we’ve played this season appear to have given one of their best performances so far, creating lots of chances. Raising their game against us? Or just us being poor?

I'd say the opposition raising their game and being pleasantly surprised at how bad Latics are, making them look and feel like Brazil. It has to change but it's obvious it isn't going to happen overnight. Again, Sheridan commenting on the players being "lethargic".

Well, you are the manager, please do something about it.

10 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I'd say the opposition raising their game and being pleasantly surprised at how bad Latics are, making them look and feel like Brazil. It has to change but it's obvious it isn't going to happen overnight. Again, Sheridan commenting on the players being "lethargic".

I didn't see part time Wealdstone lethargic. So why are our full time players?

1 hour ago, Sloshed Joe said:

A lot of the teams we’ve played this season appear to have given one of their best performances so far, creating lots of chances. Raising their game against us? Or just us being poor?

Teams will definitely raise their game against us. Long time ago or not we are an ex PL side and the ones others want to beat.

at the moment we’re not good enough to cope with it and that’s why this season Is definitely consolidation season. May find that teams like Chesterfield , Wrexham etc could be the easier games this season.

Saturday will be a good tester.

3 hours ago, Wardie said:

I think we’re in the minority mate. I’d like to think both us are balanced posters- but what we’re saying is falling on deaf ears for the majority on here IMO.

Looks like we’ll have to shut our eyes and ears to what we’re watching and listening to in games , and just rely on hope. (The non descriptive emotion, not the player.) 

On 8/29/2022 at 3:56 PM, bigfatjoe1 said:

Six weeks ago the club stood on the verge of liquidation. What would you have said if someone had come up to you and said 'don't worry, in a few weeks you'll have the club and ground back, you'll have no debt and you can start building a new squad. It'll take a while to get it all sorted out and to start moving on up, but your home gates will go up massively, season tickets will be sold, and you'll take 2,000 to York. You'll be mid-table by the end of August, but it's a good start.'

Would you have

a) thought the person telling you this was a lunatic. He needs to be more realistic. Listen to the old Realistic Fans Group. The misogynous dyslexic former lorry driver is the fountain of all knowledge.

b) thought, wow, I'll take that. That's not very realistic, but I'd take it.

c) cried and cried about being mid-table not being good enough. Being realistic means winning every game while playing like Brazil.

Hmmm? 

Think this should be a memo to all fans , now where is my popcorn?

On 8/29/2022 at 8:56 PM, bigfatjoe1 said:

Six weeks ago the club stood on the verge of liquidation. What would you have said if someone had come up to you and said 'don't worry, in a few weeks you'll have the club and ground back, you'll have no debt and you can start building a new squad. It'll take a while to get it all sorted out and to start moving on up, but your home gates will go up massively, season tickets will be sold, and you'll take 2,000 to York. You'll be mid-table by the end of August, but it's a good start.'

Would you have

a) thought the person telling you this was a lunatic. He needs to be more realistic. Listen to the old Realistic Fans Group. The misogynous dyslexic former lorry driver is the fountain of all knowledge.

b) thought, wow, I'll take that. That's not very realistic, but I'd take it.

c) cried and cried about being mid-table not being good enough. Being realistic means winning every game while playing like Brazil.

Hmmm? 

Your points are valid, but, is it unreasonable for the fans to expect more commitment from the players? From what I have seen, heard and read, it appears to be sorely lacking in many of them. Sheridan, once again, describes them as "lethargic". That's his problem to solve and he really does need to do it as quickly as possible because even the most die-hard fans will start to get twitchy if the team is mired near the bottom of the league.

Gates may be good right now. It won't stay that way if fans are treated to dross on the pitch and the elation will fizzle out as quick as it came in. I am really over the moon regarding the club's turnaround off the field, however, I am totally unconvinced the current set-up on the playing side is adequate, not just to push for promotion [not my words] but to actually stay at the correct end of the table.

You gave an 'a,b,c choose one' option which to me is not a realistic way of thinking because it is possible to be happy with some aspects and disappointed in others, which is where I am right now.

It was good to meet up with many people after my long absence and a cracking atmosphere among Latics supporters. After the match it was great to see the long-serving Athleticos with the drum - a far cry from when they were moaned at in The Chaddy and I welcomed the drummer to stand near me.

Here's a few pictures and videos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/diego_sideburns/albums/72177720301730594

15 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Did we play Oscar and Roberts at wing backs ? Please say we didn’t 

I don't think we started that way (looked like 4 at the back), but it looked like we changed to it at some point. Wondering if that coincided with things changing mid 2nd half or was happening straight from start of 2nd half in which case it worked for a bit before turning to shit.

18 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I don't think we started that way (looked like 4 at the back), but it looked like we changed to it at some point. Wondering if that coincided with things changing mid 2nd half or was happening straight from start of 2nd half in which case it worked for a bit before turning to shit.

The central midfield faded badly, think Shez was too late with his subs. They weren't.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I thought McGahey did alright on Monday but after seeing the highlights, he looked suspect on more than one occasion, including the goal...

And I'm convinced Fondop meant to play the ball to Tollitt but overhit his pass and it ended up falling nicely for the left back...

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I thought McGahey did alright on Monday but after seeing the highlights, he looked suspect on more than one occasion, including the goal...

He was excellent for the first 40 minutes - really good - then fell to pieces through to half time and was poor to average for the second half.

As bizarre a performance as I've seen for some time. 

40 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The central midfield faded badly, think Shez was too late with his subs. They weren't.

Correct, given we played only three days prior I was astounded Shez waited till about ten minutes to go to make a change, everybody in the stands could see what was going to happen, well other than Shez or Wright.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Correct, given we played only three days prior I was astounded Shez waited till about ten minutes to go to make a change, everybody in the stands could see what was going to happen, well other than Shez or Wright.

And that the change wasn't Harry Vaughan....

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

And that the change wasn't Harry Vaughan....

We've been out played and out thought for over 9 hours already this season in the centre of the park and he's been given half hour at Southend and about 5 minutes at the weekend against Aldershot, didn't go Southend listened on iFollow but by all accounts was the only bright spark in another lacklustre performance. 

Here's the problem I have with it, Vaughan even at just 18 has EFL experience, now you can see why Shez doesn't fancy him;

1. He's not Shez' player

2. He's lightweight and it's an easy excuse to keep him on the bench as the physicality of the NL would be too much for him.

It could be argued that these are valid points but he's pushing three lads in that midfield who are weak as piss but more importantly can't look after the football, Tollitt and Burgess are passengers the majority of the time and don't even get me started on Stobbs whose turning out a couple of leagues higher than he should be.

What message does it give the youths when a player of Harry's ability can't even make the bench, there's no doubt about it he has the attributes and football brain to play at an higher level and is the type of player we should championing not alienating in favour of sub standard replacements, I'm not claiming he's the next Messi but surely he would of been better than Tollitt in that midfield on Monday who on top of being weak is lazy and can't find a blue shirt.

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It seemed to me like Clarke impacted McGahey a lot. Their LM/LW seemed to be constantly in space with Clarke a little out of position, so McGahey was having to go out to that RB position too often, which would impact organisation at the back

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Yet they played a day after us and looked far sharper at the end.

Archived