MATCH: vs York City (A) 29/08/22

Wish we'd be a bit more direct at times.

We had a really good spell first 15 min of 2nd half when we got forward and pumped in some crosses.

Still too many unnecessary mistakes and general shakiness for me, but then that's why we're National League.

Think Sheron is pretty solid.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worth noting it was a really good goal. Fondop’s hold up play, Roberts’ run and cross, Hope’s finish. Excellent stuff. 

Was thinking how most of our songs are about the club rather than players then a Hallam Hope song started up. Good to see. 

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Question to those at the game.

Should Sheridan have changed it sooner? Seemed pretty negative again.

Subs only used in the 80th and 88th minute. What's the point in Junior playing for 2 bloody mins..... again??

Also no Vaughan.....again? Was it too physical for him? Stobbs comes on but not Vaughan....bit mystifying from afar but any views from those that attended?

I agree.. should have brought subs on sooner .They equalised  after a couple of minutes after using a sub.Ours didn't do much and we were under the cosh at the end and nearly lost it.Would have been such better if Hope had put his second chance away at the far post but a draw was a fair result and next Sat should be a real challenge with Banks doing his best to get one over on us.

In each game the opposition  seem to have fast wingers and gigantic forwards and can pass the ball around and win second balls.

I feel our performance improved v Aldershot but today was a bit lethargic  at times and that showed in the fans as well at times.

York should have given more tickets to avoid the 100 plus fans going in their stand as well.

42 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

A direct runner like their number 7 would be handy.

Weak defending for their goal, we need a proper centre back replacement for Hogan.

Not convinced with Tollitt, he loses possession far too often for my liking and puts our defence in trouble.

Cooper was anonymous most of the game and Clarke made more passes to the referee than his own team mates, granted the ref was wearing black like the back of our shirts.

Was impressed with their number 7, why aren’t we recruiting players like him? From what I have seen so far, if we run at teams they will struggle to cope just as we do. It isnt difficult although Shez makes it look impossible 

Just now, Flemboy said:

I agree.. should have brought subs on sooner .They equalised  after a couple of minutes after using a sub.Ours didn't do much and we were under the cosh at the end and nearly lost it.Would have been such better if Hope had put his second chance away at the far post but a draw was a fair result and next Sat should be a real challenge with Banks doing his best to get one over on us.

In each game the opposition  seem to have fast wingers and gigantic forwards and can pass the ball around and win second balls.

I feel our performance improved v Aldetshot but today was a bit lethargic  at times and that showed in the fans as well at times.

York should have given more tickets to avoid the 100 plus fans going in their stand as well.

They gave us the most they could without moving season ticket holders, can I also say fair play to York for putting on the shuttle buses  back to the station. 

13 minutes ago, disjointed said:

They gave us the most they could without moving season ticket holders, can I also say fair play to York for putting on the shuttle buses  back to the station. 

There were quite a few free seats nearest  to our end and could easily have been allocated seats there.

I've had to move many times in years gone by at Latics to accommodate  away fans.This will happen again with big away support like Wrexham Chesterfield Latics.

Yes it was good to have double decker buses waiting to take our fans back.

Thought the stewards were excellent as well.Also got myself photographed  with Frank and his wife on their tri-motorbike which made my day.

Six weeks ago the club stood on the verge of liquidation. What would you have said if someone had come up to you and said 'don't worry, in a few weeks you'll have the club and ground back, you'll have no debt and you can start building a new squad. It'll take a while to get it all sorted out and to start moving on up, but your home gates will go up massively, season tickets will be sold, and you'll take 2,000 to York. You'll be mid-table by the end of August, but it's a good start.'

Would you have

a) thought the person telling you this was a lunatic. He needs to be more realistic. Listen to the old Realistic Fans Group. The misogynous dyslexic former lorry driver is the fountain of all knowledge.

b) thought, wow, I'll take that. That's not very realistic, but I'd take it.

c) cried and cried about being mid-table not being good enough. Being realistic means winning every game while playing like Brazil.

Hmmm? 

We did remarkably well today to say we literally had no midfield even Gardner had his worst game for us, Tollitt thinks he's a shoe in every week despite being absolute gash the majority of the time, I know he's scored a couple of deflected goals but he's weak as piss and gives the ball away almost at will, he should of come off at half time for Vaughan or Burgess. 

Thought Hope and Fondop did well today and worked York's backline all afternoon, still don't see a goal in Fondop. Sheron probably man of the match over Hope.

Hanging on a bit at the end despite having an extra days rest on York who looked fitter and stronger than us.

5 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Would you have

a) thought the person telling you this was a lunatic. He needs to be more realistic. Listen to the old Realistic Fans Group. The misogynous dyslexic former lorry driver is the fountain of all knowledge.

c) cried and cried about being mid-table not being good enough. Being realistic means winning every game while playing like Brazil.

Hmmm? 

None of the above. 

I would have said, 

That would be amazing, and with the club on a better foot, we can stop conflating off the field with on the field. We’ll be able to get back to what normal clubs do, which is judge managers on their tactics, team selection, team shape and ultimately results. . . . . and that is exactly what is happening.

The takeover is nearly fully complete. The club will be slowly put back together, and it can’t be blamed anymore with how the team is performing. 

11 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Six weeks ago the club stood on the verge of liquidation. What would you have said if someone had come up to you and said 'don't worry, in a few weeks you'll have the club and ground back, you'll have no debt and you can start building a new squad. It'll take a while to get it all sorted out and to start moving on up, but your home gates will go up massively, season tickets will be sold, and you'll take 2,000 to York. You'll be mid-table by the end of August, but it's a good start.'

Would you have

Hmmm? 

What's important here is I hope that the new board are not too trigger happy they learn to shut out the noise on social media and stick to the process and let this team evolve on the pitch and the club to put a strategy in place off it.

I think we need to make 2 long term appointments one is a Head of recruitment who can help the manager find players and put a proper recruitment strategy in place so we can get value in the transfer market over a long period of time. Secondly we need to recruit a head of Youth development who will oversee a long term strategy to develop young players.

We do that then we will get back to the football league at some point and probably get to atleast back in the 3rd tier.

I’m so so happy to have my club back, however, unfortunately I have not seen one decent performance from the team and absolutely no improvement in our play either in the 6 games to date!!

I could cope if I had seen any sort of progress but there’s been none at all. That was another £100 thrown down the pan again today and I’m not sure I want to do it for too much longer.

Continually lumping the ball up to Fondop again today was really pissing me off.  We need to pass the ball far quicker and we need more width and the only time we did that and got the ball out wide we scored!

We are so one dimensional it’s untrue. We fail to do even the basics right, we can’t consistently pass the ball to a blue shirt and our movement off the ball is almost non existent.

Every team we’ve played so far have looked quicker, fitter, and so much more ‘up for it’ than we have, and we haven’t even played any of the promotion favourites yet!

This is inexcusable and our ‘team’ do not deserve anything like the backing  they’re getting right now!

I’m not asking for immediate promotion but I just want us to be competitive and unfortunately at the moment we are clearly not!!

35 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

What's important here is I hope that the new board are not too trigger happy they learn to shut out the noise on social media and stick to the process and let this team evolve on the pitch and the club to put a strategy in place off it.

Not just noise from social media. They'll have that noise coming from elsewhere seen as you've got at least one Trust director calling for Sheridan to be sacked. 

45 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think we need to think to make 2 long term appointments one is a Head of recruitment who can help the manager find players and put a proper recruitment strategy in place so we can get value I'm the transfer market over a long period of time. Secondly we need to put a head of Youth development in who will oversee a long term strategy to develop young players.

We do that then we will get back to the football league at some point and probably get to atleast back in the 3rd tier.

Two direct wingers like Hurst of York today and Colclough of Altrincham would make a massive difference.

I haven’t seen any of the away games but have seen the three home League games. We were, for the most part in the first two, given a lesson in moving the ball forward quickly and

accurately. We are a long way from being competitive enough for the top third of this division and with this squad and possibly Sheridan. 

But, 8 weeks ago we were rudderless, demoralised, close to receivership and hoping for a miracle new ownership.

I don’t need to repeat what happened next. All beyond our wildest dreams. 

Sheridan had agreed to remain as manager for the Lemmies. Highly unlikely, many of us would have thought. I’m guessing he knew what what was in the pipeline and I think he is doing the club, Frank and the Royle’s a favour while the whole club is accessed before moving forward with investment on the playing side. 

Mid-table mediocrity for a spell is maybe the price we have to bear for a spell while Frank and his recently formed colleagues get their heads around a suitable strategy for the best way forward. 

Frank, has not enthusiastically spent millions to contemplate scrabbling around like we are now. 

8 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

Sheridan had agreed to remain as manager for the Lemmies. Highly unlikely, many of us would have thought. I’m guessing he knew what what was in the pipeline and I think he is doing the club, Frank and the Royle’s a favour while the whole club is accessed before moving forward with investment on the playing side. 

Mid-table mediocrity for a spell is maybe the price we have to bear for a spell while Frank and his recently formed colleagues get their heads around a suitable strategy for the best way forward. 

Frank, has not enthusiastically spent millions to contemplate scrabbling around like we are now. 

This.

9 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Not just noise from social media. They'll have that noise coming from elsewhere seen as you've got at least one Trust director calling for Sheridan to be sacked. 

The same people who were demanding Sheridans return after the Harrogate debacle last season now wanting him gone 🙄

12 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

unfortunately I have not seen one decent performance from the team and absolutely no improvement in our play either in the 6 games to date!!

I have seen short spells of good football and, though slight, some improvement in our play. 
The rest of your post is spot on though 👍

Ironic that the 'Support the team, not the regime' is almost being reversed. When the club was in turmoil, we accepted the off-field events were having an adverse impact on the players and their performances so why is the upturn in fortune and the immense support of the fans not having a positive impact?

I'd rather the club changed it now than later but I completely understand and respect the opinion of those who would rather wait a bit longer.

22 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Ironic that the 'Support the team, not the regime' is almost being reversed. When the club was in turmoil, we accepted the off-field events were having an adverse impact on the players and their performances so why is the upturn in fortune and the immense support of the fans not having a positive impact?

I'd rather the club changed it now than later but I completely understand and respect the opinion of those who would rather wait a bit longer.

I think we all need to adopt a bit of perspective here. 

There is, as always, a vocal minority who seem to look for the negative in every situation. They are never going to be patient or realistic in their expectations. 

The danger is that their views are given far too much credence and importance in the overall picture.

The vast majority of our fans - from the  Athleticos with their noisy and inspirational support to those who, while disappointed with a lot of the team’s play, are savvy enough to recognise that we are a team in transition - are prepared to give the regime more time to get the team performing at a level that we all want.

The positive impact on the field of our new ownership and returning fan base will happen. It’s just going to take time.

We need to continue to bring in players better suited to our current status. And we need to look to move on those who are clearly not good enough. And the management team should be part of that process too.

The key for me is that the owners recognise what needs to be done to get the team competing at the right end of the table. 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

I have seen sort spells of good football and, though slight, some improvement in our play. 
The rest of your post is spot on though 👍

Agree, last couple of games we've shown up for 15/20 minute spells but other than that it's been pretty dire, you can see what they are trying to do but maybe they are just not good enough? 

Archived